News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Unpopular opinion: I don't actually think Mary Poppins lends itself well to a dark ride. Maybe a really high quality D or E ticket dark ride could work. But a small scale, C-Ticket Fantasyland style dark ride like was rumored for this spot? I don't think Mary Poppins lends itself to that.

These types of rides are usually best because of the environments more than the characters or figures. Wonderland, hundred acre woods, Neverland, a dark Forest and dwarves mine, etc. Mary Poppins has London streets and some cartoon worlds that are mostly generic. The strengths of Mary Poppins are not the environments it creates.

The ones that don't focus on environments work as crazy, madcap adventures. And while Mary Poppins has a few zany moments, it's not chaotic and madcap like Mr. Toad or Roger Rabbit.

I'm not saying that Mary Poppins doesn't deserve a great attraction. I just don't think that what was rumored here is the best fit for the IP. I'd rather something like Brave get this spot and Mary Poppins be given an attraction that fits it better.

It's all moot though since a C-Ticket dark ride seems off the table in favor of a flat ride. And Mary Poppins with it's smaller scope and focus on whimsy and music lends itself very well to a flat ride (even if it "deserves" more)

Sir_Cliff

Unpopular opinion: I don't actually think Mary Poppins lends itself well to a dark ride. Maybe a really high quality D or E ticket dark ride could work. But a small scale, C-Ticket Fantasyland style dark ride like was rumored for this spot? I don't think Mary Poppins lends itself to that.

These types of rides are usually best because of the environments more than the characters or figures. Wonderland, hundred acre woods, Neverland, a dark Forest and dwarves mine, etc. Mary Poppins has London streets and some cartoon worlds that are mostly generic. The strengths of Mary Poppins are not the environments it creates.

The ones that don't focus on environments work as crazy, madcap adventures. And while Mary Poppins has a few zany moments, it's not chaotic and madcap like Mr. Toad or Roger Rabbit.

I'm not saying that Mary Poppins doesn't deserve a great attraction. I just don't think that what was rumored here is the best fit for the IP. I'd rather something like Brave get this spot and Mary Poppins be given an attraction that fits it better.

It's all moot though since a C-Ticket dark ride seems off the table in favor of a flat ride. And Mary Poppins with it's smaller scope and focus on whimsy and music lends itself very well to a flat ride (even if it "deserves" more)
I agree heartily with this. I find it hard to imagine a Fantasyland-scale c-ticket ride based on Mary Poppins.

Never thought of this before, but @Spash007's suggestion of a 101 Dalmatians dark ride along the lines of a new take on Mr Toad's Wild Ride is actually a surprisingly good idea. Even the character design lends itself well to this kind of ride... and just think of all the plush dalmatians they could sell!

ToTBellHop

I agree heartily with this. I find it hard to imagine a Fantasyland-scale c-ticket ride based on Mary Poppins.

Never thought of this before, but @Spash007's suggestion of a 101 Dalmatians dark ride along the lines of a new take on Mr Toad's Wild Ride is actually a surprisingly good idea. Even the character design lends itself well to this kind of ride... and just think of all the plush dalmatians they could sell!
You both are canceled.

Spash007

I actually never thought of it either until @NateD1226 mentioned 101 Dalmatians. I love that movie, but do think of Mary Poppins much more of a classic film that deserves an attraction.

misfitdoll

I’m perplexed by their approach to choosing which IPs “deserve” a ride. Why try to cash in on whatever flash in the pan new property exists when there are dozens of endearing, obvious classics that have already passed the test of time? I’m not strictly speaking of Poppins, but it is a perfect example. I disagree with the earlier comment that made the argument that Mary Poppins does not have compelling environments suitable for a ride. Mary Poppins (both original and Returns) are FILLED with magical (mystical, never quite logistical...) places that we want to experience. Like, that’s the whole deal with Mary Poppins! I want to see Cherry Tree Lane and Uncle Albert’s house and chalk drawings and the Royal Doulton Music Hall and the balloon lady in the park. I want to go to there. Just like people want to go to Hogwarts and Diagon Alley— these magical places capture the imagination. They are exactly what a Disney park experience should be: an environment where kids and grown ups can pretend together and “visit” the magic. I suppose in the short term “new hot movie” merchandise sells, but there is a reason Target displays new movie stuff with CARDBOARD CUTOUTS, not permanent shrines—it is all likely going to be on the clearance endcap after a few weeks.

Side note: the Mary Poppins Returns merchandise was quite poorly done. They sold a very small selection of items with a strange, flapper-like cartoon Mary in ugly colors that did not match the tone or feeling of “Returns” at all. I wanted to buy MP stuff but it all looked super cheap and phoned in. The only cool thing they sold (in the US anyway) was the umbrella. The film itself was beautiful.

AdventureMP4z

We need this scene recreated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom