News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

OG Runner

I know Disney can handle wet surfaces, but my thing was more related to the type of services inside the cabins, and whether or not the vents are designed to avoid the rain.

Not to worry, when you get to the next stop the water will drain out. You just need to keep your nose above the water line until then.

Kman101

Questions like this always get me. If the engineers at Doppelmayr aren’t smart enough to design the cabins of their outdoor transportation system while the considering the impact of rainfall, that doesn’t bode well for their ability to design the rest of the complex components of the system.

I think it was a valid concern and question (more so than the hysterical "no AC" thing). Not sure why some of you get so bothered by innocent questions and talk to the poster like they're stupid.

JayKZ

I think it was a valid concern and question (more so than the hysterical "no AC" thing). Not sure why some of you get so bothered by innocent questions and talk to the poster like they're stupid.
How much of a concern is this really, given that the gondolas will be filled with soaked guests at every occurrence of "rain o'clock", regardless of whether the windows are open or not?

nace888

How much of a concern is this really, given that the gondolas will be filled with soaked guests at every occurrence of "rain o'clock", regardless of whether the windows are open or not?
Having worked in monorails, I've witnessed the mood instantly drop because of the rain. Everyone's wet, moody, some slip, it's all a valid concern of mine, especially having worked in that rain.

joelkfla

Semantically corrent in context, but devoid of relevancy. How many Archetects are on this board ? Less than a dozen I bet. If you are a decorator, an interior entrance is the entry point into a house or apartment.
How many decorators are on the board?

You don't have to be an architect. When choosing a hotel, interior entrances means rooms open onto a hallway.

JayKZ

Having worked in monorails, I've witnessed the mood instantly drop because of the rain. Everyone's wet, moody, some slip, it's all a valid concern of mine, especially having worked in that rain.
The interiors of the gondolas are going to get wet, sometimes very wet, regardless of whether the windows are partially open, because of those wet, moody guests.

nace888

The interiors of the gondolas are going to get wet, sometimes very wet, regardless of whether the windows are partially open, because of those wet, moody guests.
And I guess my questions were more related to how that would be handled. Would the cabins get wiped down? Continue to ferry water around, to get wet? I've seen people slip and fall on the monorail floors etc, so I guess it was all a curiosity thing.

joelkfla

And I guess my questions were more related to how that would be handled. Would the cabins get wiped down? Continue to ferry water around, to get wet? I've seen people slip and fall on the monorail floors etc, so I guess it was all a curiosity thing.
The benches are slotted to allow water to drain to the floor. Probably designed that way for all the snow-covered skiers.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The view would have been the same, but at least you wouldn't have a giant tower of galvanized steel in your face. It could have been a nice powder coating of go-away blue or green. ;)

The path chosen made it clear they didn't care about the views from certain areas of CBR from day one.

If they painted them blue people might just assume they are part of the Guardians ride. ;)

Kman101

I wouldn't say it even ever occurred to me about rain going through the vents. So for me it felt like a genuine question, not "omg i'm panicking about this" ... lol. Not every question is someone panicked ...

I just don't get the annoyance over a question like that. It seemed valid to me. Not panic driven like the no AC stuff. And I don't recall it ever being discussed, but it probably was. And while most of us read every page and post, not everyone does ...

Kman101

I have no doubt they of course took rain into consideration, but personally, I hadn't even thought about the rain until that poster asked the question. Sometimes too, people ask questions but maybe didn't think about it? Not everyone's a troll trying to ask for an answer they already know.

Sometimes it isn't what you're saying but how you say it. Like some other posters. It's not the answer it's the snarky condescending tone. And I love snark as much as the next person ...

Eh. I shouldn't have even said anything. Sorry for asking people to be a little nicer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, March 26, 2019. The Riviera Skyliner station construction progress. This is the view from across the lake looking northwest.

A "banded" or "striped" pavement can be viewed at the approach and departure ends of the Skyliner station.

The main Skyliner station at the Caribbean Beach Resort.

While visiting the Caribbean Beach Resort, the gondolas were moving between here and Hollywood Studios. Two gondolas were "unwrapped"; a yellow and a blue gondola.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom