Unpopular Opinions: DLR Edition

Stevek

Just go to Smart and Final and you can get 25 of them for about 10 dollars. Same exact ones Disneyland uses. To me the Disneyland Churros were only fun when they had the dipping sauces to go with it (chocolate and caramel). Apparently the management would rather food color some churros than sell dips to go with it.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of Tio Pepe's.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disneyworld's is literally the Disneyland Haunted Mansion except it has one really cool extra scene at the beginning of the ride. Not sure how it could be worse, it adds to the original in an awesome way and is super atmospheric.
For me, I prefer DL's for these reasons:
  1. Entering the Mansion via the front porch
  2. Knowing the Stretch Room is actually descending makes it feel creepier.
  3. Walking down the portrait hall
  4. Hat Box Ghost
But they're both wonderful rides.
To me, it’s way too soon to introduce the funnier Marc Davis style in the Q. The attraction works better when it starts out ominously and builds it’s way to the graveyard scene. At WDW, they re giving you a flavor of the graveyard in the Q.

I prefer the DL hitchhiking ghosts as they aren’t as cartoony but tbh so is the Hatbox Ghost.
My main beef with the interactive HM queue at WDW is that it reveals too early the mansion's humorous attitude and Marc Davis-style character designs. I think it puts a dent in the creepy, threatening atmosphere of the ride's first half. It's a great reassurance for nervous kids, but not for fans and adult first-time riders.
all these reason are my response to you. these posts perfectly capture why Disneyland has the superior mansion. I could not agree with them more.

Californian Elitist

So when I went on this ride I never had an interactive queue and I saw no hitchiking ghosts. I might be misremembering but I remember the queue (fastpass) was just a standard queue. Also, it did have a stretching room elevator, just like DL, so I’m not sure what that comment meant.

Maybe they meant DL’s is an actual elevator? But I’m not sure.

D.Silentu

Not a new complaint, but I feel that most of Space Mountain's personality was stripped away when it was refurbished in 2005. Nowadays it is a fun coaster, but it feels so generic compared to what it was. I miss the combination of fantasy and outer space that it used to be.

Last edited:

Rich T

Not a new complaint, but I feel that most of Space Mountain's personality was stripped away when it was refurbished in 2005. Nowadays it is a fun coaster, but it feels so generic compared to what it was. I miss the combination of fantasy and outer space that it used to be.
Gotta disagree. I think the rebuild doubled the ride’s personality and charm. The great, fun, energetic score—the greatly improved effects—the fact that you can no longer plainly see the tracks ahead of you— For me, they took a good ride and made it fantastic.
(EDIT) But I would love to see the original entry and exit speedramps brought back. That staircase at the unload is the pits.

mharrington

Here's an opinion of mine that I'm sure is very unpopular: I like Toontown. Granted, I agree that it needs to be spruced up, but I actually think it's kind of cute. I also like the Roger Rabbit ride. More importantly, I like the idea of this being where Mickey and the gang live.

PiratesMansion

Said it before, will say it again: I don't think there's one definitive, totally perfect version of the mansion.
DL Pros:
-Pre-ride portion is better
-Hatbox Ghost
-Less of a cluster before load
-Classic hitchhiking ghosts

DL Cons:
-The load area and the random rise to nothing before you enter the endless hallway. It's ok when they forget to turn the lights on in that part of the load room and you can't see the wall right next to you on your left and a giant featureless unthemed empty space on your right.
-Maybe just me but I've had WAY more issues with audio in the doom buggies in DL.
-Post-Florida, ride feels much shorter
-HMH means the real ride is missing 1/4 of the year
-soapbox having to hear about DL's being better because of something tied to Walt (other than decreeing the look of the exterior, he really had nothing to do with the final product) OR because "you enter through the front porch," something that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter and shouldn't be used to totally discredit the other mansions the way it sometimes is. off soapbox

MK Pros:
-New scenes (immediately after load) help add to the immersion of the ride and help pad it out a bit
-Through the music in the piano scene, it adds a touch of melancholy that I love and miss in CA.
-Cool stairway addition
-Better lighting
-Doesn't have HMH, so the MK version is maintained better. Half the time you wonder if the person in charge of taking down HMH every year in CA really cares about getting everything 100% back to how it's supposed to be.
-Better attic scene (if it MUST be there...)

MK Cons:
-Loading area is always a cluster (really could be extended to everything prior to boarding your vehicle)
-New Hitchhiking ghost effect is dated and weak
-No Hatbox ghost (although I expect this to be temporary)

I honestly don't care about the MK queue. It's not perfect but, again, there's more to look at than DL's (which is fine but hardly exceptional) and soapbox again I really don't care for the way it is used, again, to totally discredit WDW's mansion and declare DL's obviously better as a result.off again

Personally I come on the side of WDW's overall, but both have their strong points. Looking forward to experiencing Tokyo's for the first time and being able to compare all three soon enough!

D.Silentu

The great, fun, energetic score—the greatly improved effects—the fact that you can no longer plainly see the tracks ahead of you— For me, they took a good ride and made it fantastic.
I understand your other points and agree they are positives, but what do you mean by "greatly improved effects?"

Rich T

I understand your other points and agree they are positives, but what do you mean by "greatly improved effects?"
I'd say there's a better approach to the main lift. Better main lift tunnel effects (I really didn't care for the brightly lit mirror corridor in the original). Better re-entry tunnel. I do miss the game-show-like first lift; the replacement is dull. I also miss the assorted asteroids and such, but I think the new, darker main room is worth the trade-off. The feeling of hurtling forward through whirling starfields really works for me in the newer version.

Last edited:

Rich T

IF only the parks were as empty as the “whistle while you work” part.
Yeah, but if it was just you and the characters stalking you around the park... that would be creepy.
Also: If only the Roger Rabbit walk-around character was still a park regular.
Also: Donald Duck shoving the Mickey plushies onto the floor is the best thing ever. Anyone here have a GIF of that? :D

D.Silentu

Better main lift tunnel effects (I really didn't care for the brightly lit mirror corridor in the original). Better re-entry tunnel.
I see, thank you. I think those changes are fine, it's the lack of visual interest in the main showroom that disappoints me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom