September good month for water parks?

Da Bird is Da Word

I’m going for 7 nights the second week of September and trying to decide whether or not to buy Park Hopper Plus. We will probably do only one day at a water park if any.

Weather_Lady

If you're not sure about whether you want to go to a water park (although September weather will likely be perfect for it), why not just get the minimum ticket you know you will use (MYW or parkhopper)? You can always upgrade, after you get there, if you decide you want to do more (so long as you have at least one day's admission remaining on a multi-day ticket, that is).

We upgraded to Parkhopper Plus a couple of years ago after we realized we wanted to spend an extra day at WDW at a water park and play some mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens (one of the things for which you can use your Parkhopper Plus entitlements). We crunched the numbers and realized the Parkhopper Plus upgrade would cost us less than buying Waterpark/mini-golf tickets a la carte. (YMMV - I don't know if it would still work out that way after the most recent price hikes.)

The process was easy: we arrived before rope drop at the Guest Services Window (it happened to be at Typhoon Lagoon, but we could have done it at any park) and asked the CM to upgrade our 4-day MYW tickets to 5-day Parkhopper Plus. We were even able to have the CM "price bridge" our tickets -- meaning we paid the difference in that's day's gate price between the MYW tickets and Parkhopper Plus tickets, and avoided losing money to a price hike that had occurred after we bought our MYW tickets, or voiding the discount we'd received by purchasing the tickets initially from an authorized wholesaler (Undercover Tourist). The whole process took no more than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Da Bird is Da Word

Original Poster
If you're not sure about whether you want to go to a water park (although September weather will likely be perfect for it), why not just get the minimum ticket you know you will use (MYW or parkhopper)? You can always upgrade, after you get there, if you decide you want to do more (so long as you have at least one day's admission remaining on a multi-day ticket, that is).

We upgraded to Parkhopper Plus a couple of years ago after we realized we wanted to spend an extra day at WDW at a water park and play some mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens (one of the things for which you can use your Parkhopper Plus entitlements). We crunched the numbers and realized the Parkhopper Plus upgrade would cost us less than buying Waterpark/mini-golf tickets a la carte. (YMMV - I don't know if it would still work out that way after the most recent price hikes.)

The process was easy: we arrived before rope drop at the Guest Services Window (it happened to be at Typhoon Lagoon, but we could have done it at any park) and asked the CM to upgrade our 4-day MYW tickets to 5-day Parkhopper Plus. We were even able to have the CM "price bridge" our tickets -- meaning we paid the difference in that's day's gate price between the MYW tickets and Parkhopper Plus tickets, and avoided losing money to a price hike that had occurred after we bought our MYW tickets, or voiding the discount we'd received by purchasing the tickets initially from an authorized wholesaler (Undercover Tourist). The whole process took no more than 5 minutes.

Oh. See, I thought I had to make the decision NOW to get park hopper plus. And if I decide when I get there that I want to go to a water park, I have to buy the tix a la carte at full price. The price between park hopper and park hopper plus is kind of negligible, so I would hate to forego the park hopper plus only to have to pay $100+ a ticket to go to blizzard beach when I get there. So, just to clarify, I’m able to upgrade my park hopper to park hopper plus when I get to Disney? If that’s the case, I’m not even gonna stress about this.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Oh. See, I thought I had to make the decision NOW to get park hopper plus. And if I decide when I get there that I want to go to a water park, I have to buy the tix a la carte at full price. The price between park hopper and park hopper plus is kind of negligible, so I would hate to forego the park hopper plus only to have to pay $100+ a ticket to go to blizzard beach when I get there. So, just to clarify, I’m able to upgrade my park hopper to park hopper plus when I get to Disney? If that’s the case, I’m not even gonna stress about this.

Yes, absolutely. At any Guest Services window at the parks (or Lobby Concierage at onsite hotels, per the Disney website), you can upgrade any WDW ticket (add more days, upgrade to parkhopper or parkhopper plus, even to an annual pass) any time during your visit, so long as it's within 14 days of the first use of that ticket, and you have at least one day left on your ticket. (In other words, once you've used your ticket to enter a park on your last day, you can no longer upgrade since the ticket is essentially "all used up.") More information here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/magic-your-way-ticket-upgrade/

The "catch" (and it's not really a catch, but something to be aware of) is that the cost will be the same whether you make the upgrade on your first day or your next-to-last. For example, if you have a 5-day MYW ticket and want to add parkhopper, they'll charge you the price difference between a 5-day MYW and a 5-day parkhopper, even if you're upgrading on day 4 of your trip and will only be able to park hop for one day. So obviously, to get the maximum benefit of your bargain, you'll want to make the upgrade earlier in your trip rather than later, as the cost will be the same, and you might as well get as much use out of your upgrade as you can.

*Also, if you bought your tickets from Undercover Tourist or another authorized wholesaler at a discount, make sure the CM has "price bridged" your ticket. (Experienced CMs will know what that term means and how to do it - if the one you're dealing with doesn't know what you're asking, ask them to get their manager or a more experienced coworker to help.) Price bridging just means that the CM is charging you the difference between the current gate prices of the ticket you hold and the upgraded ticket you want, rather than the difference between the [discounted] price you originally paid for your ticket and the price of the upgraded ticket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom