News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

brodie999

The Exchange Offers and Consent Solicitations have now expired.
I can't believe the deal is about to close in 5 days!! I wonder what they'll announce which franchises made by Fox they'll be reviving. Maybe they'll give Alvin and the Chipmunks, Ice Age, Home Alone, Die Hard, Night at the Museum, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Taken and Alien a second chance at life. Hopefully, they'll finally renew the X-Files for a Season 12 too.

Magenta Panther

The Rio movies, Horton Hears a Who, The Peanuts Movie, and two William Joyce projects: Epic and Robots.

The Peanuts movie was great! But I hope the characters stay at Knott's Berry Farm, and not wind up in DHS or wherever...

So anyway, and I can't remember if I brought this up before...I wonder if Disney will use the 20th Century Fox fanfare in front of any Fox-produced movies..? Because it would be a shame if that went away forever...

Crossfire

Out of all the Studios Disney is getting(Searchlight, Fox 2000, 20CF), I think Blue Sky is the one I have most worries about it's future, I just don't see Disney keeping another Animation studio.

Rodan75

Out of all the Studios Disney is getting(Searchlight, Fox 2000, 20CF), I think Blue Sky is the one I have most worries about it's future, I just don't see Disney keeping another Animation studio.

Fox let this studio languish when they had distribution for DreamWorks. But I hope Disney keeps it and uses it to take some pressure off Pixar and WDAS to create original IPs for both D+ and Theatrical. DisneyToon never really had the freedom to create original IP.

Twilight_Roxas

The Peanuts movie was great! But I hope the characters stay at Knott's Berry Farm, and not wind up in DHS or wherever...

So anyway, and I can't remember if I brought this up before...I wonder if Disney will use the 20th Century Fox fanfare in front of any Fox-produced movies..? Because it would be a shame if that went away forever...
Disney would most likely use the Peanuts gang in WDSP in Paris.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I started a thread to talk about integrating Fox into Disney.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I still see Blue Sky being sold off. But I guess they could be the animation house to provide content to Disney+ if need be. Or gobbled up and combined with Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Rosso11

I have a lot of friends that work there and Disney executives have been spending a good amount of time at Blue Sky recently. Disney is telling them they want them to keep making theatrical movies but they all expect a decent amount of their work to shift to Disney+.

Darkprime

I get the feeling dark phoenix will be shelved but released at a later date. Once the combined company has its transition period post merger and Disney starts to look at all the stuff Fox had in development.

The situation has had longtime employees on the Fox lot suffering a kind of prolonged trauma since the merger was announced, in December 2017. To hear them tell it, they are being issued mostly vague, Orwellian-lite guidance that outlines dress codes and explains key-card access, but they have been left wanting in terms of business directives. In the middle of February, Fox’s marketing and distribution departments gathered with the filmmakers of Dark Phoenix, the latest X-Men installment from producer-director Simon Kinberg, to lay out their plans for the film’s June release. It was a typical meeting. Ad buys were discussed, and the publicity tour for the film’s stars, including Sophie Turner, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jessica Chastain, was laid out. But it was still disconcerting, both because of all the new faces in the room—a handful of high-end consultants have been hired temporarily to fill the jobs recently vacated by long-term employees—and because of the ad hoc approach the Fox marketing team was taking toward the film’s release, four months away.

“We know when we are dropping a trailer, but we are nowhere near where we should be at this time,” said one marketing exec who was at the meeting. “It’s frightening. I would be mad if I were a filmmaker.”

BrianLo

I have a lot of friends that work there and Disney executives have been spending a good amount of time at Blue Sky recently. Disney is telling them they want them to keep making theatrical movies but they all expect a decent amount of their work to shift to Disney+.

This was my thought too.

Disney is essentially building a "third pillar" beyond television and theatrical films.

Some of the redundancies (like Blue Sky) seem most poised for Disney+ integration instead.

Pixar/WDAS are terribly expensive producers of animated content. As much as we'd all like it, I doubt they'd spend 100+ million on a Disney+ original. Really Pixar Vancouver would have been better suited and probably would have survived if Disney+ was on the docket years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom