Ever had this happen before? A turnstile saga...

Oddysey

Just got our renewed AP cards via UPS yesterday. Can't wait to walk through the turnstile while being snarky in a couple of weeks!

As a fellow AP holder, I would be deeply disappointed if you didn’t walk in with at least a little attitude. As an exclusive group, we are obligated to live up to our entitled reputation. Make me proud ;)

Chi84

Premium Member
While I can't 100% I've had this happen specifically regarding the FP line, guests are often redirected to empty queues at WDW, or rewarded for jumping into them:

1. Suddenly a gate opens and you get called over to the new line.

2. Anytime the FP side of Space Mtn gets empty: non-FP folks are directed to go right even when they don't have a FP.

3. Main street gets too busy, and we are directed to walk through a backstage area that NORMALLY says NO GUEST ENTRY.

4. the many QS locations that have double sided registers, where patrons aren't always served in order of when they arrived. Anyone who mindlessly lines up behind another customer is a sucker, and will wait longer than the person who made their own line.

The many WDW/US holding pens: Dinosaur, Escape from Gringotts, CBJ, MIB, HM....
I have to rant about #4. I hate, hate, hate the one cashier, two lanes open system at quick service locations. I understand they are necessary to keep lines compact, but they lead to confusion and no-win situations.

A couple of years ago, I went to Flame Tree in AK and walked over to the cashier at the very end. There was a large group giving their orders, and then a man and his son standing behind the group on the same side. The other lane was open, but no one was in it. Before getting into the second lane, I went to the man, told him both lanes were open and asked if he wanted to start a line in the other lane. His answer was a somewhat hostile, "There's only one line here, and you're behind me in it." Okay, so I now had two choices: (1) go into the open second lane and risk some unpleasant words, or (2) get in line behind him and hope no one notices the other lane. I chose the latter (yes, I know I'm a wimp) because I didn't want any kind of unpleasant confrontation. Almost immediately, two parties got into the open second lane. I politely asked the man, "Aren't you going to tell them there is only one line?" (passive aggressive, yes, but I couldn't resist saying something) and was rewarded with a lovely obscenity, right in front of his son. I also ended up waiting longer than I should have.

Even when the people all lined up on one side aren't jerks, they often seem confused and unwilling to move when you tell them there are two open lanes. I love, love, love mobile ordering!

jaklgreen

I have to rant about #4. I hate, hate, hate the one cashier, two lanes open system at quick service locations. I understand they are necessary to keep lines compact, but they lead to confusion and no-win situations.

A couple of years ago, I went to Flame Tree in AK and walked over to the cashier at the very end. There was a large group giving their orders, and then a man and his son standing behind the group on the same side. The other lane was open, but no one was in it. Before getting into the second lane, I went to the man, told him both lanes were open and asked if he wanted to start a line in the other lane. His answer was a somewhat hostile, "There's only one line here, and you're behind me in it." Okay, so I now had two choices: (1) go into the open second lane and risk some unpleasant words, or (2) get in line behind him and hope no one notices the other lane. I chose the latter (yes, I know I'm a wimp) because I didn't want any kind of unpleasant confrontation. Almost immediately, two parties got into the open second lane. I politely asked the man, "Aren't you going to tell them there is only one line?" (passive aggressive, yes, but I couldn't resist saying something) and was rewarded with a lovely obscenity, right in front of his son. I also ended up waiting longer than I should have.

Even when the people all lined up on one side aren't jerks, they often seem confused and unwilling to move when you tell them there are two open lanes. I love, love, love mobile ordering!

Over the years I have tried to explain the system to people. I don't bother now and just get in the side that has no one in it. I have had people either ignore me or look at me like I am crazy when I tell them both sides are open or make a rude comment. It's not worth it saying things to people anymore.

Chi84

Premium Member
Over the years I have tried to explain the system to people. I don't bother now and just get in the side that has no one in it. I have had people either ignore me or look at me like I am crazy when I tell them both sides are open or make a rude comment. It's not worth it saying things to people anymore.
You're probably right, but rude comments really ruin my day. Sometimes I think I'm better off just getting in a longer line.

Paper straw fan

While I can't 100% I've had this happen specifically regarding the FP line, guests are often redirected to empty queues at WDW, or rewarded for jumping into them:

1. Suddenly a gate opens and you get called over to the new line.

2. Anytime the FP side of Space Mtn gets empty: non-FP folks are directed to go right even when they don't have a FP.

3. Main street gets too busy, and we are directed to walk through a backstage area that NORMALLY says NO GUEST ENTRY.

4. the many QS locations that have double sided registers, where patrons aren't always served in order of when they arrived. Anyone who mindlessly lines up behind another customer is a sucker, and will wait longer than the person who made their own line.

The many WDW/US holding pens: Dinosaur, Escape from Gringotts, CBJ, MIB, HM....

2 rants on people ‘getting their way’ being ignorant at parks:

I was at Universal today, waiting in vain for a butterbeer, and some people just walked right up to the EXIT and started ordering. I was already a bit cranky as it was roughly the surface temperature of Mercury in Orlando, and was about to go educate these people as to how those weird markings are actually words meant to convey some sort of message decipherable by humans, but my wife, knowing I wasn’t in a polite mood called me off. So yeah..indeed. And in my mood today I probably wished Lou Gehrig’s disease on those people.

When I worked at Busch Gardens using a cotton candy machine from 1937, I had a line so long one miserable summer day, people swarmed both the entrance and exit before lines, as apparently there was a cholera outbreak only pink diabetes on a stick could cure. People were yelling at me for sending them back to the right side after yelling several times which was which. In my only good retort, to some dad yelling at me because little prince Brayden was going to have to wait another half hour for sticky sugar garbage, he threatened to ‘get a manager’ to which I replied “well, I’m pretty sure you’ll get a manager before you get cotton candy” and then ignored him for 5 minutes before he walked off.

16 year old who intentionally shorted Brazilians on change: 1
Illiterate D bag dad: 0

Goofyernmost

I'm sorry, but, I am willing to admit that I am no Rhodes Scholar, :bookworm: but, no one had to explain how the two line system works. From my first exposure to it, I understood it. It's simple! What I can't understand is what is confusing about it. Two lines... they take orders from the left, then from the right, then from the left again and so on. There are a lot of confusing things in WDW, but, to me that is not one of them. 🤔

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm sorry, but, I am willing to admit that I am no Rhodes Scholar, :bookworm: but, no one had to explain how the two line system works. From my first exposure to it, I understood it. It's simple! What I can't understand is what is confusing about it. Two lines... they take orders from the left, then from the right, then from the left again and so on. There are a lot of confusing things in WDW, but, to me that is not one of them. 🤔
I agree 100 % that there is nothing inherently confusing about it - everyone should be able to figure this out. In some cases, there is a sign above the cashier's head with two arrows pointing to the two lanes. But on almost every visit to Disney, I see at least one cashier with everyone lined up on one side and no one on the other. If you go into the open lane, someone will complain that you are "starting your own line" instead of waiting behind the others or at least telling them (which worked so well for me) what to do.

It could be that people are so distracted that they just get in a line without thinking - who knows? In any event, there have been entire threads devoted to people arguing over this simple thing.

Last edited:

Damon7777

It's a completely asinine way to queue for food. Way too many times it circumvents the doctrine of "first come, first serve"

I have hated and questioned the method for years after watching first hand the unfairness and confusion.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's a completely asinine way to queue for food. Way too many times it circumvents the doctrine of "first come, first serve"

I have hated and questioned the method for years after watching first hand the unfairness and confusion.
I don't expect anything even close to "first come, first served" where large crowds are involved - there's unfairness any time multiple lines are involved. I got into the shortest bag check line at AK once and ended up behind a guy who apparently packed for an actual three-week African safari. I'm sure there were people from the next tram who got into the park before I did.

I'm just against any system that has a rule-follower like me getting into a possible confrontation with other guests. I'm sure Disney has good reasons for setting things up the way they do, but I've seen this particular system fail too many times. If I find myself at a disadvantage because I wasn't paying attention or I didn't know the system, I just chalk it up as a learning experience. But there are a lot of hot, tired, on-edge people at Disney, and waiting in line for food doesn't necessarily improve one's disposition.

Goofyernmost

I agree 100 % that there is nothing inherently confusing about it - everyone should be able to figure this out. In some cases, there is a sign above the cashier's head with two arrows pointing to the two lanes. But on almost every visit to Disney, I see at least one cashier with everyone lined up on one side and no one on the other. If you go into the open lane, someone will complain that you are "starting your own line" instead of waiting behind the others or at least telling them (which worked so well for me) what to do.

It could be that people are so distracted that they just get in a line without thinking - who knows? In any event, there have been entire threads devoted to people arguing over this simple thing.
Agreed and in any event that's not my fault. They were preoccupied, that's their problem. I will just go to the line. I figure I am doing the brain dead a favor by letting them know that there can be a second line. I don't know how or even if they get upset, but, to me it doesn't matter. They are perfectly welcome to queue up behind me. If I were doing something wrong the cashier would just ignore that I was there or at least say I cannot be there, but, they wouldn't because I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, the rest are not.

Goofyernmost

Not if they did what they were supposed to do. It is simple. You walk up you see someone being served on the right, the left is open so you go to the left and you will still be the next one served. It isn't hard to tell who is being served at the time as the cashier is looking at the person/side that is currently. All one has to have is an IQ higher then a rock to instantly figure it out.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

They won't line up at that empty register because... wait for it... there's nobody else in line there.

MickeyLuv'r

I have to rant about #4. I hate, hate, hate the one cashier, two lanes open system at quick service locations.

Agree with your post! I find this kind of thing frustrating as well, and it happens ALL THE TIME to me! (non WDW too!)

I'm always amazed at the folks who spend 20mintues in line without actually taking time to consider what they want to eat, especially when it is one of those places that only has like two items on the menu, "Pepperoni or plain cheese pizza?" I don't get how that choice could be so confusing to anyone; either you like pepperoni or you don't.

spacemtnfanatic

Agree with your post! I find this kind of thing frustrating as well, and it happens ALL THE TIME to me! (non WDW too!)

I'm always amazed at the folks who spend 20mintues in line without actually taking time to consider what they want to eat, especially when it is one of those places that only has like two items on the menu, "Pepperoni or plain cheese pizza?" I don't get how that choice could be so confusing to anyone; either you like pepperoni or you don't.

And people wonder why Cast Members occasionally appear to be frustrated

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom