What do you think is the most complicated attraction at WDW?

Tavernacle12

I feel like I’ve never seen Small World with every effect working, so while it’s likely not complicated insofar as the ride mechanism ‘working’ it is complicated insofar as being at 100% effects wise considering all the little things going on.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

No but pre checks and 101 recovery are long winded.

Apparently.

They were quite long-winded until they developed RRA (ride reset assist) which basically alleviated the need to have cast members at each set of doors to reset the system when you were powering up or resetting after a 101. When I was there, they still wanted you to do the manual power up procedure in the mornings, along with an E-Stop button test, but if the ride went down mid-day, you used the RRA feature, which saved about 10-15 minutes and 4-5 people from having to tag out and go up into the ride.

Even doing it the "old" manual way, it was a much easier process than Space Mountain, where many more CMs had to hit every break zone to reset the ride, along with manually pushing each train out of the break zone. Add that to the fact you had to do both sides - where as with Tower you generally only had downtime on one side. Tedious and back breaking.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They were quite long-winded until they developed RRA (ride reset assist) which basically alleviated the need to have cast members at each set of doors to reset the system when you were powering up or resetting after a 101. When I was there, they still wanted you to do the manual power up procedure in the mornings, along with an E-Stop button test, but if the ride went down mid-day, you used the RRA feature, which saved about 10-15 minutes and 4-5 people from having to tag out and go up into the ride.

Even doing it the "old" manual way, it was a much easier process than Space Mountain, where many more CMs had to hit every break zone to reset the ride, along with manually pushing each train out of the break zone. Add that to the fact you had to do both sides - where as with Tower you generally only had downtime on one side. Tedious and back breaking.
Do you know if the booster wheels in Space that were installed in 2009 to release cars held at the blocks actually worked at all? I recall them going in but never heard if they negated the near for manually pushing them into the next zone.

Epcot_Imagineer

I would disagree seeing the size of it and how fluid the movement is in comparison. Atleast in my opinion it's a hell of lot more impressive than any other ride system to me.
Depends on your definition of complex. All of the complex choreography of all the ride vehicles moving in sync with the screen and the programming that must've gone into it had to have been incredibly tedious and complex. I think most everyone else is using a different definition of complexity in which they define the amount of moving parts and safety checks as complex. In that definition it's easy to see why people are going with Space Mountain/ToT over FoP.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Id say People Mover, between the loading dock and the cars breaking up and back to a continuous moving loading dock, same for Imagination back in the day.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I would have to guess that back in the day it was Lights of Winter since obsolete technology had to be kept up and running for years. Also the one where the elephants are impaled, barely kept alive, have their backs hollowed out, and then are forced to fly using magical technology.

Frontierland's Finest

I worked at Big Thunder Mountain years ago and at that time it was the only roller coaster that could run five trains at one time. Bringing out the fifth train was very complicated. The instructions were about one page long and if you made a mistake it would bring the whole attraction down. When you hear the animated recorded spiel go off and the voice says "hats and glasses" the train should be leaving the station or you have problems. Its not that way anymore as Disney has done an update so that it is easier to operate the attraction.
I know the pain of bringing on the fifth train on Thunder quite while. I learned Splash Mountain first and that helped out a lot, but for a while Thunder was a challenge for me.

From some of my good friends, Disneyland's Space Mountain can be complicated. Since it's only one track, you have very few seconds to unload and dispatch. If you don't get the rockets out fast enough you cascade and then you will auto-e.

JIMINYCR

Having done the behind the scenes tours and getting to see and hear the explanation about the operation and upkeep needed for the changeable American Adventure show scenes, it sounded like it would take more work and attention to maintain and keep it operational.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom