Price Nostalgia

Goofyernmost

Add a teenager to your car insurance some time. ;)

giphy.gif
I did, twice, but, unknown blessings, they were both girls and that was a lot less then the teenaged boy. My daughters have just experienced that little downside of having drive aged children themselves and it is mind boggling how much it costs.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did, twice, but, unknown blessings, they were both girls and that was a lot less then the teenaged boy. My daughters have just experienced that little downside of having drive aged children themselves and it is mind boggling how much it costs.
I am on my third daughter. Daughter #2 and #3 were as good as they could be with no accidents, tickets, decent grades and drivers ed discounts.

Daughter #1 was a nightmare. She got two tickets when she had her learners permit. She was in a hit and run about 6 months after she got her licence and racked up another 2 accidents over the next 2ish years.

Our insurance bill was nearly more than our car payments at the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol, actual I was there for 5 days. and some one at Disney is able to purchase food from the outside. It's not a dome, last I checked there wasn't armed guards preventing people from going offsite. we bring food into the parks all the time. so I've never understood this "can't buy anything elsewhere" nonsense.

So it's not a "failed" analogy. a person is very capable of getting food, bringing food, cooking food that is not a Disney vendor. So if a person grumbles about the price of Disney food and eats every meal onsite, it's because they CHOOSE to do it.

A one off, 3 hour event does not equate to pricing at Disney world at all. In fact...pricing was analyzed knowing the distinction...

Back in the in the Olden days 😉

Walt Disney1955

I was a teenager, but I remember looking at the prices for both Universal and a day at Disney. They were $40 and this was 1997. Wow I thought, thank God for dad having the money for this because I sure don't. Yeah...…………$40!

Dad 2 M & M

lol, actual I was there for 5 days. and some one at Disney is able to purchase food from the outside. It's not a dome, last I checked there wasn't armed guards preventing people from going offsite. we bring food into the parks all the time. so I've never understood this "can't buy anything elsewhere" nonsense.

So it's not a "failed" analogy. a person is very capable of getting food, bringing food, cooking food that is not a Disney vendor. So if a person grumbles about the price of Disney food and eats every meal onsite, it's because they CHOOSE to do it.
We were captured and had no other options.........dah hee HEE

must say we ARE "more free" than years past.......back in the day, they even tried to get us to convert our $$$ into their OWN currency!! Don't recall what the exchange rate was though....surely the Mouse won

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Wow! What were the hotel costs per night then?
According to the 1983 Birnbaum WDW Guide, a room in the Contemporary Tower and the Polynesian Lagoon View was $115.00 per night. Suites in the Contemporary (Tower) were $220.00 - $330.00 per night. That was for single or double. Children under 18 were free and any additional adults were an additional $4.00 per night.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We were captured and had no other options.........dah hee HEE

must say we ARE "more free" than years past.......back in the day, they even tried to get us to convert our $$$ into their OWN currency!! Don't recall what the exchange rate was though....surely the Mouse won

It was 1:1....

But like all gift cards...you were converting perfectly usable money that was then only useful in one place.

I hear Disney dollars are valuable now...woulda been a sound investment 😉

Raineman

Now post the difference in Universal's ticket prices, your car/home insurance, and your property taxes.

Welcome to life.
Yup. I've never quite understood why some people think that Disney would be insulated from all of the decisions that every other corporation in the world make. Prices are going to climb, value for your money will diminish, and the bottom line is profits. Disney is a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation-this is not Uncle Walt's company any more, in no way, shape or form, and the sooner some people realize this, the sooner they can move on. Does it suck that this is the situation now? Yup, but it's not changing folks, and you either roll with it or you don't.

Trackmaster

With the increase in prices coming today, I ran to Undercover to grab my ticks for my summer trip before they went up at all. After check out I could see the summary of my purchase and then scroll down and see what I paid years prior.
In 2013 my 5 day MYW was $292
2015 a 7 day MYW was $344
Today? A heavily restricted 4-park Magic Summer ticket is $378.80
Over a hundred dollars more
I realize they can do this because the demand says so, and I am not screaming that it is ridculous because honestly all these theme parks are pulling this, but when I see it all all laid out on one screen it's still leaves my head spinning.

I think that you'll notice that the trend for most amusement parks and theme parks is to have an outrageously high sticker price, but season passes that are barely any more and offer lavish perks. Its funny that casual guests who haven't been to business school like to say "well they want you to come to the parks for next to nothing so that you'll spend money on food and park." It doesn't explain why parking is included for free in already cheap season pass. It doesn't explain why they don't lower gate prices if they're pretty much a restaurant with loss leader rides.

I really don't agree with the dirt cheap season passes, but I think its the park's way of making guests think that they're getting a great deal when in reality, extra visits are just a cost that's passed onto other guests. So really, if you want park visits to be cheap, you have to strategically plan our where our passes are going to be.

Everybody talks about how Disney is bankrupting their family, but I bought a $320 M-F AP in November and have been to WDW 16 times. Never once paid for parking, bought a $8 poncho once, but no merch besides that. Rarely ever buy food. Bought an After Hours ticket once. Pretty much only spend money on alcohol, which isn't priced that bad.

Season passes are the way to go at parks. I'm carrying six at the moment.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I think that you'll notice that the trend for most amusement parks and theme parks is to have an outrageously high sticker price, but season passes that are barely any more and offer lavish perks. Its funny that casual guests who haven't been to business school like to say "well they want you to come to the parks for next to nothing so that you'll spend money on food and park." It doesn't explain why parking is included for free in already cheap season pass. It doesn't explain why they don't lower gate prices if they're pretty much a restaurant with loss leader rides.

I really don't agree with the dirt cheap season passes, but I think its the park's way of making guests think that they're getting a great deal when in reality, extra visits are just a cost that's passed onto other guests. So really, if you want park visits to be cheap, you have to strategically plan our where our passes are going to be.

Everybody talks about how Disney is bankrupting their family, but I bought a $320 M-F AP in November and have been to WDW 16 times. Never once paid for parking, bought a $8 poncho once, but no merch besides that. Rarely ever buy food. Bought an After Hours ticket once. Pretty much only spend money on alcohol, which isn't priced that bad.

I don't visit the world enough to make a season pass worth it, but I do know where you are coming from. I have about 4 family memberships to various zoos, museums and gardens right now lol.

Shouldigo12

It really depends on how often you go and where you live though. Going by the OP's post, their trips were in 2013, 2015, and now in 2019. Assuming these are their only recent trips and they don't live in Florida, it wouldn't make much sense to shell out for the AP. If you often enough and or love close, sure, it would probably be worth it. But for everyone else, an AP isn't going to make their visit much cheaper and might make it more expensive.

eb3257

My family of 4 went in Nov of 2017 (two adults, two kids). I already had a ticket so I purchased three day tickets for 1 adult and both of my kids with no park hopper. I think there's been at least three price increases since we went so I plugged in the dates for this year to compare and there was a $208 price difference if I bought those three tickets today. Yikes! It's been less than a year and a half. :rolleyes:

Trackmaster

It really depends on how often you go and where you live though. Going by the OP's post, their trips were in 2013, 2015, and now in 2019. Assuming these are their only recent trips and they don't live in Florida, it wouldn't make much sense to shell out for the AP. If you often enough and or love close, sure, it would probably be worth it. But for everyone else, an AP isn't going to make their visit much cheaper and might make it more expensive.

Disney's different. You can't compare Disney to any other park. They're a whole different ballgame. I was mostly referring to the part of the post that was about what everybody else was going.

But if you live in Florida you get an insanely sweet deal for WDW. Its not fair really. But I think from what I hear that's mostly a political move. They want to keep the legislature and the voters happy so that they can keep doing what they're doing without outside interference. That's why they sell the insanely cheap APs that people buy and use 20 times a year.

Shouldigo12

Disney's different. You can't compare Disney to any other park. They're a whole different ballgame. I was mostly referring to the part of the post that was about what everybody else was going.

But if you live in Florida you get an insanely sweet deal for WDW. Its not fair really. But I think from what I hear that's mostly a political move. They want to keep the legislature and the voters happy so that they can keep doing what they're doing without outside interference. That's why they sell the insanely cheap APs that people buy and use 20 times a year.
I wasn't comparing it to other parks though. I was talking strictly about Disney. Yes, as you said, Florida residents get a good deal. People in other states do not and depending on how often they go it might not be worth it for them.

Dad 2 M & M

It was 1:1....

But like all gift cards...you were converting perfectly usable money that was then only useful in one place.

I hear Disney dollars are valuable now...woulda been a sound investment 😉
Not exactly 1:1 as cash would spend anywhere......less liquid than federal reserve notes...surprising those federal reserve notes are no longer the most liquid of assets!

Disney Dollars are worth a few bucks now, but not as much as the "equivalent" $$ would be now if invested back in that day.....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not exactly 1:1 as cash would spend anywhere......less liquid than federal reserve notes...surprising those federal reserve notes are no longer the most liquid of assets!

Disney Dollars are worth a few bucks now, but not as much as the "equivalent" $$ would be now if invested back in that day.....

$1 bought 1 Disney dollar...

Thanks, Adam Smith

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom