What would you recommend trip planners NOT use this site for?

Shouldigo12

(Before I start, I want to say i checked the rules to make sure this post was ok. I didn't see any rules saying a post like this would be a no-no, but if there is one I'm sorry in advance).
So, as we all know, this website is a great resource for helping people plan trips to thr World. There's a lot of useful information on here that just makes the whole process a lot easier, not to mention the fabulous and knowledgable members ;). But I'm curious- is there any area of a WDW trip that you would think users would be better served checking somewhere else? For example, I do not think this is good site for getting opinions on the quality of restaurants. There are so many different opinions, it can be difficult to sort through them to find the "overall" opinion of a restaurant. IMO, when it comes to quality, trip planners might have a better time going to a food blog.

NYwdwfan

(Before I start, I want to say i checked the rules to make sure this post was ok. I didn't see any rules saying a post like this would be a no-no, but if there is one I'm sorry in advance).
So, as we all know, this website is a great resource for helping people plan trips to thr World. There's a lot of useful information on here that just makes the whole process a lot easier, not to mention the fabulous and knowledgable members ;). But I'm curious- is there any area of a WDW trip that you would think users would be better served checking somewhere else? For example, I do not think this is good site for getting opinions on the quality of restaurants. There are so many different opinions, it can be difficult to sort through them to find the "overall" opinion of a restaurant. IMO, when it comes to quality, trip planners might have a better time going to a food blog.
I disagree - a food blog will give you the opinion of one person. One meal. One time. Every restaurant can have an "off" night. I find it's best to check the menus (on this site) and browse through opinions but if there is a restaurant you are interested in trying - go - and form your own opinion. I've seen plenty of people , bloggers, etc. love places I would NEVER eat at again and hate places that are my family's favorites.

Upvote 0

OneofThree

Completely agree on the food. This site (and others like it) are populated by people who are Disney fans. Cuisine isn't as subjective as some like to think, and people who explore this area are well acquainted with the idea that different people have different tastes.

The other area thing I just laugh at consistently, are the posts asking about "what time should I go to avoid crowds". :hilarious: Now, while I do find value in Len Testa's product for example, what it does not do is create something that hasn't existed for years now -"low" crowds.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
I disagree - a food blog will give you the opinion of one person. One meal. One time. Every restaurant can have an "off" night. I find it's best to check the menus (on this site) and browse through opinions but if there is a restaurant you are interested in trying - go - and form your own opinion. I've seen plenty of people , bloggers, etc. love places I would NEVER eat at again and hate places that are my family's favorites.
The website I use also has guest reviewers, and I believe they also have a few people who work for the blog who do reviews. Plusthe main reviewer is very unbiased, or at least as much as you can be. Part of the reason I like this blog better is also because she often revisits restaurants, even after bad visits, to check to see if it was just an off night or if that's the usual quality. Vacationers are often not willing to return to a place they had a bad meal at (and for good reason), so it's hard to tell how "normal" their experience was.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I would say this: If you want tips on planning visit almost any thread EXCEPT News and Rumors. Don’t get me wrong, I visit that thread too bit it’s filled with too much doom and gloom on what WDW does wrong, in their opinion, of course.

Other threads:
Restaurants
Hotels
MDE
and yes Trip Planning

are the ones to visit for people seeking genuine advice and people willingly to give it.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Completely agree on the food. This site (and others like it) are populated by people who are Disney fans. Cuisine isn't as subjective as some like to think, and people who explore this area are well acquainted with the idea that different people have different tastes.

The other area thing I just laugh at consistently, are the posts asking about "what time should I go to avoid crowds". :hilarious: Now, while I do find value in Len Testa's product for example, what it does not do is create something that hasn't existed for years now -"low" crowds.
That's not the purpose of Len's site at all, never was.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

You can get all you need and more from utilizing this site and all its forum choices. Wether its helpful depends on how you utilize it. Anyone thats confused or needs help can post and in a matter of minutes get a host of replies from reliable sources, knowledgeable repeat park goers, and many of working or past CM's, that will give answers.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

I think it’s more about how you interpret the information/ opinions from any source.

I do like a “Disney Foodies” group, but you don’t have to pass a test to call yourself a foodie (good for me lol) so you still get people posting pictures of really basic things. Overall, I think it atttacts a good number of people serious about dining, so I find it useful.

But on either site, you have to determine if the person posting just doesn’t like what you like, or if anything other than a Waffle House menu is “exotic” or “weird” to them. “Picky eaters” and “meat and potatoes” are buzzwords that usually tell me to take an opinion lightly, just because it doesn’t match up with me. Nobody is wrong in what they like.

Upvote 0

EngineerMom

Agreed
Any site I use I don’t just take their opinion as in good or bad I read why. I have read reviews here where someone doesn’t like a place but they say it took too long and you read how long and think right but it’s a signature restaurant is supposed to be leasurely not in and out.

Upvote 0

EngineerMom

My favorite reviewer is Tom at disneytouristblog.com. Hubby complains that the articles are too long but he goes into WHY he likes or doesn’t like things. He accepts that different people have different taste. I love the people who think whatever they think is right. Even just folks you talk to. Had a coworker planning his first trip one woman in our office told him to skip Animal Kingdom and you HAVE to get the dining plan. Any advice I gave was this is why we like this. He came back - favorite park Animal Kingdom. They were back at their villa every night for dinner and then relaxed. So her advice all wrong for him and his family.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
My favorite reviewer is Tom at disneytouristblog.com. Hubby complains that the articles are too long but he goes into WHY he likes or doesn’t like things. He accepts that different people have different taste. I love the people who think whatever they think is right. Even just folks you talk to. Had a coworker planning his first trip one woman in our office told him to skip Animal Kingdom and you HAVE to get the dining plan. Any advice I gave was this is why we like this. He came back - favorite park Animal Kingdom. They were back at their villa every night for dinner and then relaxed. So her advice all wrong for him and his family.
I also really like the Tourist Blog, although last I checked out his restaurant reviews (which was admittedly like five years ago) I though he was a little harsh on the dining. His website is fantastic though. Great write ups of every hotel, which are updated regularly, and great advice on every thing from times to go to what to pack.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Possible grumpy, unpopular opinion alert: Might just be me, but I find I usually prefer to help out people who've done at least a little research or reading up on WDW before posting and come in with specific questions or scenarios they need help with.

Nothing makes me skip to the next thread faster than a post that practically screams "I don't know anything about Disney, so plan my trip for me, tell me what hotel to book, where to eat and what rides to ride and tell me everything I need to do to have an awesome vacation!!!" I'm not a paid travel agent, guidebook writer or WDW Reservations phone operator.

(I ignore this rule if it's a family member or close friend, of course) 😉

-Rob

Upvote 0

dontknow

I think knowing 'how to use' any online forum is important. It's just one other source of information.

I found this site (particularly the forums) a huge help in planning our first trip. However, I also read a couple other books as well for variations of opinion/information.

After a few trips to WDW, I also found it very helpful for our trip to DisneyLand a couple years ago. Again, not the only resource, but VERY helpful. However, by then, I had a clue of specific questions, etc.. since we had a few WDW trips behind us.

This year I still find it somewhat helpful for our upcoming trip. Granted, not as 'critical' as our initial, but still helpful.

I think planners (like myself) who look for information like this generally know how to use/interpret the info on a forum, but then again, perhaps not. If they don't do enough research outside of here, it's really not anyone's fault. I don't think there's a bad topic unless it's demeaning and doesn't provide any insights.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom