Price Nostalgia

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
With the increase in prices coming today, I ran to Undercover to grab my ticks for my summer trip before they went up at all. After check out I could see the summary of my purchase and then scroll down and see what I paid years prior.
In 2013 my 5 day MYW was $292
2015 a 7 day MYW was $344
Today? A heavily restricted 4-park Magic Summer ticket is $378.80
Over a hundred dollars more
I realize they can do this because the demand says so, and I am not screaming that it is ridculous because honestly all these theme parks are pulling this, but when I see it all all laid out on one screen it's still leaves my head spinning.

Darth Figment

Bigger parks, more construction, more people , inflation. It sucks but they gotta do it . I dont like paying it , but ive been doing it every year for the past 10yrs.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I know.....maybe we should enact an "Edict on Prices". Y'Know put a cap on the maximum amount that can be charged for something.

Except........that didn't work out particularly well for Diocletian. Nixon tried it too.......didn't work out for him either.

This is what happens when you have a debasement of currency. But that's okay....we'll just print some more.....then soon, a one day ticket will cost two-fity. And then we'll look back in fondness at the good 'ol days when it only cost a buck twenty.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Price nostalgia -

When i first starting visiting Walt Disney World regularly in the early 1980s, the price for a 'WorldPassport' ( admission to both MK and EC ..the only two Parks operating) was .....

$35.

That included two days admission with Park Hopping, and it never expired.

I still have one that is valid.

Parking was $3 at either MK or EPCOT Center's lots.

Yep.
Nostalgic!

-

Goofyernmost

Or in 1983 when I was scratching for the four of us for a three day passport...

I love that last line.... Boy, did they ever!!!

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Need help carrying that bucket??.

My insurance has gone down and my taxes have been pretty flat...-actually😉

I wish. my property taxes freakin went up 12%.

but it does bring up a point. perspec ctive can definitely effect on where one stands. I went to a national flower show last weekend and yes I realize it was a one day event, but cokes where 5 bucks, a bag of popcorn was 8.50. you get the picture, so when I see the food prices at Disney, it doesn't shock me.

price nostalgia pretty much just gives one indigestion. avoid it.

draybook

I remember our first trip in 2008. For the four of us(2 adults and 2 kids), it was less than 2k. That was staying at the Seralago for 6 nights, 2 Halloween parties and 5 day single park tickets. That also included gas and the off site food for the week.

I don't recall how much the actual tickets were but I doubt we could make a trip like that for that price now. And don't even get me started on how empty the parks seemed that trip...

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster

but it does bring up a point. perspec ctive can definitely effect on where one stands. I went to a national flower show last weekend and yes I realize it was a one day event, but cokes where 5 bucks, a bag of popcorn was 8.50. you get the picture, so when I see the food prices at Disney, it doesn't shock me.

Oh I know it, I hadn't really looked for it but when I scrolled down there it was. To be honest Uni has not been as bad but that is because they constantly do buy two get two days free offers and 4 days covers that place pretty well, where as WDW, I always need at least 5 days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

And as always...like the failed broadway show analogy - were you at that flower show for 7 days on average and unable to purchase anything from outside vendors during that type of stretch??

eliza61nyc

And as always...like the failed broadway show analogy - were you at that flower show for 7 days on average and unable to purchase anything from outside vendors during that type of stretch??

lol, actual I was there for 5 days. and some one at Disney is able to purchase food from the outside. It's not a dome, last I checked there wasn't armed guards preventing people from going offsite. we bring food into the parks all the time. so I've never understood this "can't buy anything elsewhere" nonsense.

So it's not a "failed" analogy. a person is very capable of getting food, bringing food, cooking food that is not a Disney vendor. So if a person grumbles about the price of Disney food and eats every meal onsite, it's because they CHOOSE to do it.

macefamily

The 'parking wars' really has me pi$$ed off. We were at Disney and Universal the past two days and had to pay parking at Disney; we don't pay at Universal because it's included in our APH charge. $25 at both parks. It just a few years ago, not decades, where parking was $14. That seems reasonable for a full day. And the Disney parking gouging at the Resorts is ridiculous. It's just a money grab.
THIS JUST IN...Disney has announced that there will be a "breathing charge" tied to your ticket in 2020. Your estimated amount of breaths taken at each park will be considered an adder to your standard ticket pricing.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I remember our first trip in 2008. For the four of us(2 adults and 2 kids), it was less than 2k. That was staying at the Seralago for 6 nights, 2 Halloween parties and 5 day single park tickets. That also included gas and the off site food for the week.

I don't recall how much the actual tickets were but I doubt we could make a trip like that for that price now. And don't even get me started on how empty the parks seemed that trip...

Well there was that little recession between December 2007 – June 2009 that was going on at that time, the drive down I4 was littered with for sale signs on a lot of the hotels.

Goofyernmost

I had my family trip in 2008. It was about my 35th trip there, but, the first with the entire family. My girl friend, myself, my two daughters and their husbands, three grandchildren, my sister and her son. I rented a 6 bedroom villa just a mile from the entrance, paid for the transportation (both private vehicle and round trip Airfare from Vermont for 7 people, rented two additional cars and purchased 7 day non-expiring (at the time), single park tickets for 9 people.

We ate a couple of meals on site, mostly lunch, but, we did to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue , but, each family paid for their own meals. With the villa, we were able to have a few meals at the villa. The villa had a private enclosed full size pool and Jacuzzi. Many meals we just ate at some of the many restaurants along 192. Sometimes we had separate checks and sometimes I bought for everyone. For me it was the most extravagant vacation I ever took and financed. It came to just over $7000.00. Can you imagine how much that would have cost if we had stayed onsite. The other plus was that we only spent 4 days in the parks at WDW. The other three were just side trips to the Kennedy Space Center so the kids could see what all the talk was about, went to a few of the tourist traps in the Kissimmee area and even managed a day of nothing or more correctly, whatever each family wanted to do. That left everyone with another three days that could be used whenever they wanted to. Everyone used those three days eventually a few years later. It was the best (albeit the most expensive) trip I ever made there.

That said I went by myself a couple of years ago, granted it was just me and by then I lived in NC which is a day trip to WDW with Park Hoppers, but I spent about $1600.00 for everything. Golden Corral helped keep the food cost down to a manageable number.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom