Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE FRIENDS IN FEBRUARY; Feb 16-23, 2019 *COMPLETE*

Hi all. Just returned from our February break trip and I can’t wait to share it with you!
First things first.....

THE WHO:
We have some friends we go away with every other February break.
In 2017 we did a Royal Caribbean cruise:

In 2015 we stayed in a grand villa at AKL:

And in 2013 we did the Disney Dream:

Sorry, no matching shirts. We were still feeling each other out😎

So who do we have?
( @Rista1313 pay attention!)

Me
Husband-Ant
Son-AJ, 15
Son-Dre, 13
We have another son, X, who was at school and did not come with us but makes a guest appearance, or two❤️

Our friends
J tall bald and male
L short blond and fun
3 out of their 4 kids
Son-T, 17
Son-R, 13
Daughter-H, 12
Their oldest is away at college.

THE WHERE
We stayed in the Saratoga Springs Treehouse villas. Love them!!! More later!

I think that is all you need to know for now.

2019!

Spash007

Day 4/Feb 19 cont

With some of the projections you can really tell what is going on, the movie/character they are portraying. Others, not so much. At least not now. At the time with the music it makes sense.

View attachment 355890

View attachment 355892

I feel like I should know this one. Anyone?
View attachment 355893

This was an easy one. Toy story.
View attachment 355894

View attachment 355896

View attachment 355897

Up
View attachment 355899

View attachment 355900

View attachment 355901

Also, how do they do this?? Nevermind. Dont ruin the magic.

I believe that's the beginning of the "friend" sequence that has Aladdin > Trashin the camp from Tarzan. (Which makes no sense at all with those projections and those movies)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I gotta get me one of these Multi-experience Fast Passes!

How can you screw up a cinnamon bun?

Nice score on Buzz. I find the Buzz addiction (both playing and posing) by the boys very amusing!
What to reply to first?
Thanks to that multi experience FP, the gift that keeps giving, I had one of the best days at MK ever!

The cinnamon roll. Makes me want to wretch just thinking about it. And they look so dang good.

The Boys had such a good time.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I believe that's the beginning of the "friend" sequence that has Aladdin > Trashin the camp from Tarzan. (Which makes no sense at all with those projections and those movies)
Ha ha. So it is ok if I cant remember them? I remember the feeling of awe and wonder and excitement. Is that enough?

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/ Feb 20

Poor J’s internal clock was still off from all those years of working nights. He was up and put the bacon in the oven. I showered and helped him finish preparing breakfast.

J finally decided to embrace the celebration of his retirement! Time stamp: 7:50. Meaning we missed the 7:40 internal tree house bus. Our regular lady who would stop and wait was off. If the buses do not lower, like they do when they let people on, you can not even hear them.

And yes I joined J.

Since we missed the bus we had time for a beer AND a photo shoot.

This is us walking from our treehouse. The one you can see, straight back is not ours. They are our closest neighbor. Never heard a peep. Ours is on the short path to the left. Behind the big tree.

Some activities going on in the hood.

It was after 8 and no bus so we started walking. 30 seconds later the bus pulled up. We managed to run and get on without J spilling his beer. And why is he still nursing that thing anyway?

Did I mention Dre hurt his knee playing volleyball a few days before we left? His bursa sack blew up like a balloon. I thought we were going to gave to rent a wheelchair and push him around. The day before we left I took him back to the doctor and she said walking on it would be good for him. She said ice it at night and wrap it. Day 5 and first time I am seeing this ace bandage. He may have forgotten to ice it also.

On our way to epcot!

J still nursing that beer!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/Feb 20 cont

This was outside the golf course entrance. I thought it was cute. Hidden Mickeyish.

We arrived at Epcot at 9:00 and as per the plan headed straight for Soarin. In line selfie.

Front and center!!!

Then we had to do livin with the land. Does anyone know who narrates that ride? To me is sounds like Ferris Bueller. Not Matthew Broderick, but the character, Ferris.

Bougainvillea is one of my favorites. Reminds me of home.

I am just here for the hidden Mickeys.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day5/Feb 20 cont

As promised. Proof that the hidden Minnie in BOG is not the only hidden Minnie on property.

T found out a couple of his friends were in Epcot. (Another familiar face). T and AJ went to go meet them. They were sisters. I think AJ was T’s wingman. Poor T!

The rest of us headed to Frozen ever After.

Girl! Yay!!!

Yoo hoo!

It was right after this we had another familiar face run in. We were going one way in the line, about to board, and a family we know from home was going the other way on the other side of the rope. I wont say it but you know what I am thinking right?!? (Hint: 🎶there is just one moon and one golden sun...🎶)

Imagine how much cooler I will be in summer!
In summer.

krisri18

Day 5/Feb 20 cont

This was outside the golf course entrance. I thought it was cute. Hidden Mickeyish.
View attachment 356112

We arrived at Epcot at 9:00 and as per the plan headed straight for Soarin. In line selfie.
View attachment 356113

Front and center!!!
View attachment 356114

View attachment 356115

View attachment 356116

Then we had to do livin with the land. Does anyone know who narrates that ride? To me is sounds like Ferris Bueller. Not Matthew Broderick, but the character, Ferris.
View attachment 356117

Bougainvillea is one of my favorites. Reminds me of home.
View attachment 356118

View attachment 356119

I am just here for the hidden Mickeys.
View attachment 356120

View attachment 356121
According to Undercover Tourist, Mike Brassell is the narrator.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/Feb 20 cont

We exited the ride into the giftshop. My boss had been to WDW the previous month and found some perfume she loved in the Norway store. She was kicking herself for not getting it. I got it for her. It came in a cute set with lotion in a reversible navy/sky purse. So cute!
No pix though.

L went into the bakery and got a bunch of stuff for us to share.

This was my favorite. No idea what it was but tummy! (Ha Ha. Tummy is a typo but I am going to allow it!😂-yummy)

We had a mission space FP. T and AJ were suppose to meet up with us there.

We started walking toward MS and all of a sudden, another familiar face. Before we knew J and L they would Disney with this other family. J and the dad grew up together. Their kids were older so when they went off to college they stopped going together. And here they were. L said she felt like she was cheating on them because she was here with us. We talked for a bit and made plans to meet tonight to celebrate J’s retirement the Epcot way.

Sigh
Palm trees

Ant and I waited outside. He can not do this ride, even the easy version. I did it at Christmas so I was good. I went into mouse gear and bought some new ears.

More palm trees. But look at that sky.

Ant went into mouse gear and exchanged AJ’s backpack-again. This was the third time. Twice at Christmas and then today. They finally had a new style that had a sturdier construction so Ant got that.

And it’s cute.

Test track time.

I was paired with T and AJ. I guess it is not really “paired” if it is three of us.

They were talking about how big and monstrous and cool it was going to be. I called dibs on the color choice.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/Feb 20 cont

This is the fruit of our labor

I made it pink. Because I could.

Ha ha L. Keep your hands in!

The problem was, well I am not sure what the problem was. I know what the symptom was. Our car did not get linked to us. The boys and I were assigned random cars. There had been lots of trash talkin between T and his dad and now we couldnt even go head to head.

At least we had some good photos

Great photo! Too bad it is of someone else!
I should call? Write? Is it too late?

Dream on T!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/Feb 20 cont

My boys were a little hungry so I ran into electric umbrella to get some chix nuggets for all to nosh on. There was a woman there who was in charge if a large group. Large group! 25 burgers and 30 chix nuggets large. She had a baby on her hip and would come to the counter and take one tray with about 4 or 5 meals on it at a time. Her group was close by, why didnt they help her? AJ was going to offer but just then she was done. She was so sweet, so thankful to the CM’s helping her. There was a manager and another guy giving her their 100% attention. Job well done.

It was also beer oclock

We headed to the seas.

Boing boing

We look thrilled dont we?

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/Feb 20 cont

Then we headed to figment

Such a comedic genius. Not here but...

Elephant!

Then it was golf ball time. Combined with ice cream time.

What do we have here?

If you said palm trees, you get me.

Elephantish

Ant looks a little too happy about his future. Hmmmm

L had decided we should go back after this ride. T and AJ were going to meet up with the girls again. Then little bro R tries getting in on the action. There is nothing to do at Epcot. We did it. I talked to R and had him convinced to go back and swim with us. (BTW, I didnt want to go back. You can sleep/rest on the plane is what I always say). T thanked me for talking R out if staying with him. Two minutes later L talks R back into staying. Then says she is going to stay! What?!? I got a little annoyed and said so. Thinking about it now, I should have stayed with R. Instead I pulled a whatever and said I was out. I walked to the bus. Boy was I surprised when I got to the bus stop and they were behind me. They were so quiet. I quickly apologized to L and all was good.
We got back and went for a swim. I could tell you we ran into some familiar faces at the pool but that would only be a half truth. There were some boys with football shirts from a couple towns over. After talking to the parents we realized that J and the dad coached against each other in lacrosse this guys middle son and R were the same age.
Small world?
I think so.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/ Feb 20 cont

Some more treehouse villa photos.

Time to get the adults only retirement party started. (I do not remember anything about the kids except they were not with us. I looked back at the group text and there is nothing).

BTW, J has a full cup of Jameson on the rocks with a little water.

We wited at the THV bus stop for a bit.

This is Fun J. L and J’s kids often call L NFL. Or No Fun L. That makes me laugh even now.
I can hear her, “I am fun but I am trying to be responsible!”

This picture demonstrates how close we were to the bus stop. That is Ant, in white, in the back coming down our stairs. J and L’s heads sitting at the bus stop.

After a few minutes we gave up and started to walk. And then the bus. We ran back but the guy didnt even stop! If he had stopped we would have walked right on. We assumed he was late, well we knew he was late, so to make up time he kept going. The thing is, he had to have seen/heard us. Now we were angry drinkers. Ha ha just kidding.

It was such a beautiful night we took the other path that goes across the river and lets you out near the ferry boat/golf shop. It was a little bit of a longer walk but we had our drinks and were kid free.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 5/Feb 20 cont

We meandered down the path.

A CM driving a big golf cart came by heading the opposite way. He pulled over and waited for us to pass. He commented on it being a nice night for a walk. We agreed but told him we were walking because the bus saw us coming and gunned it! We were laughing but only half joking. A few minutes later here comes the CM going our way and offered us a ride.
Not the best photo but certainly captured the moment.

Wow! How fast were we going???

We got to the springs bus stop, drinks in hand and waited. I warned everyone to finish up their drinks before the bus comes. J said, “no, this morning I walked right on with my cup.” That is true but the driver probably assumed it was OJ at 8:00 am. Not Kona Big Wave.

The bus comes and the driver opens the door and says we have to finish our drinks (told you so) before getting on. Then the driver jumps out and says, “I’ll wait.” Meanwhile, the bus was full, I dont think all those people wanted to wait. I guzzled. I had made Ant and L raspberry lemonade with mandarin vodka and seltzer. Heavy on the seltzer since they are both light weights. They downed theirs. J had drank about 1/4 on the way there then downed about half in one sip. Uh oh. I had my empty cup and I said loudly, “J, let me put your empty cup in my bag.” I combined that with “the look”. He handed me his cup which I placed gingerly in my backpack and carried ever so carefully onto the bus. I didnt want J passing out on the bus to Epcot!

We made it to Epcot and J finished his Jameson on the way to the security screening. Restroom break!

Speaking of security! This was the most enjoyable security screening process I have ever had.
There were no other guests and there were 4 lines open. Of course we have to race! We lined up about 5ft out. The security officers at this point figured out what we were doing. Ant takes off then yells “GO!” He is such a cheater. He gets through first but another guard who saw him cheat pulls him out into the metal detector line. Three way tie for first between L, J and I. Ant came in last. Cheaters never prosper.

Attachments

• ACDD57E2-6F9D-46E7-B42B-AB673878210C.jpeg
    ACDD57E2-6F9D-46E7-B42B-AB673878210C.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 40

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Kudos to J for years of overnights. (And a congrats on the retirement!)

I only have to do a few stints of overnights a year and that is more than enough- can’t imagine years of it!
The only overnight I do is when the airfare is too expensive and we drive to Florida! Like this Easter for example. Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.

Spash007

Ha ha. So it is ok if I cant remember them? I remember the feeling of awe and wonder and excitement. Is that enough?

Haha that’s part makes no sense to me. The only reason I know it is because I watch it a few times a week as background music, and always wonder what is going on in that section!

I’m also really looking forward to this adults only night - seems like it should be fun!

Oh, and whenever there’s been a selfie, something seems familiar and now I just thought of it - J reminds me of Wilson from Home Improvement with only seeing half his face! If I ever ran into him (with how many small world moments you had and me being from LI I feel like it’s possible!) I may need to just look at his top half of his face to recognize him!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom