Mad Micromanaging Disney Mom

clarabellej

Should I take issue with the fact that a teacher’s boyfriend has joined on my daughter’s school trip to Disney?

The trip was getting on my nerves anyway, because the teacher in charge did not see any point in arranging initial FPs for the kids.

So they are now having to stand in the long Spribg Break standby lines to ride anything.

They secured a FP for Splash Mountain day of, but were told that “water rides are dangerous” and forced to cancel the FP.

Then last straw, I find out that the boyfriend has joined the teacher along with some other friends the students do not know.

How would you handle this situation?

This is a group of High School kids.

So I am torn between staying out of it or being totally ticked off.

After all, we paid for our kid’s trips and the inefficiency of planning, is a waste of our money.

A side note: Rumor has it, the boyfriend will propose to the teacher. Why am I not charmed by this?? 😤

phillip9698

Sounds like those are questions that should have been asked before forking over money for the trip. Depending on how large the group is I can't imagine how much of a nightmare arranging fastpases would have been.

On the boyfriend issue. I can understand wanting to know everyone who will be chaperoning on the trip. Don't think it's worth making a stink over though.

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

Should I take issue with the fact that a teacher’s boyfriend has joined on my daughter’s school trip to Disney?

The trip was getting on my nerves anyway, because the teacher in charge did not see any point in arranging initial FPs for the kids.

So they are now having to stand in the long Spribg Break standby lines to ride anything.

They secured a FP for Splash Mountain day of, but were told that “water rides are dangerous” and forced to cancel the FP.

Then last straw, I find out that the boyfriend has joined the teacher along with some other friends the students do not know.

How would you handle this situation?

This is a group of High School kids.

So I am torn between staying out of it or being totally ticked off.

After all, we paid for our kid’s trips and the inefficiency of planning, is a waste of our money.

A side note: Rumor has it, the boyfriend will propose to the teacher. Why am I not charmed by this?? 😤

OP, group trips, like a HS trip, hardly EVER book fastpasses. I did the Disney Magic Music Days trip when I was in high school. You stand in the standby lines. These things are done through a travel agency. So let the FP thing go. These HS trips are hardly efficient when it comes to packing in entertainment and rides.

As far as the teacher's bf coming along... What does it matter? Yes, as others have said, if he's going as part of the group through the district, he'd have to have clearances and such (in these times, but maybe not all districts... check with your local schools). How would this be any different than him booking the same flight, staying in the same hotel and going to the same parks and mirroring the trip itinerary? It's not. If he's going, he'll be there. Again, get over it.

If you want a fun family vacation, book one... this HS trip isn't it.

ETA: Do you honestly think that everyone that enters the parks is a pure angel? Disney doesn't require background checks for guests to come in, and surely not everyone who enters is a perfect citizen of society.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mousehockey37

While this thread really belongs in the general Chit Chat sub, I'll chime in since I understand your need to vent...

1. As described, that is extremely unprofessional of the teacher in question

2. Take it up with the school

3. If you're there with your child, just break away from the group and do your own thing

Chances are, the teacher already ran it by the school. If you've ever had to deal with these trips, most times (not all), to keep everyone accounted for, groups are made that the kids have to stick to. 4 or 5 kids to a group, maybe assigning a chaperone... depends on the trip and the kids and the district rules (I've done trips to NYC for Broadway shows with middle schoolers and had no issues). Breaking away is and isn't possible. The groups can go their own way, but if traveling as one large group, don't even think about trying to separate... more than likely that's part of the trip rules that, if broken, can land you in hot water.

As I replied before, nothing can stop anyone from mirroring the trip and showing up and being "around" the group, but if those mirroring try to do their own thing with kids in the group, it's not going to end well.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Adding to the above, I think it’s the norm for school groups to not have tickets linked in time to get FPs. That’s just part of the fun. Sounds like they have some head start at least. You need to accept that this is all part of going on a school trip, it will not be run as you would run it if it were a family vacation.

Depending on age however, will they all have to stick together or can they split into their own groups? If the latter, let your child “lead” the others into some kind of planning.

But if the water ride “danger” is school or district policy, there is nothing you can or should do about it.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
On the boyfriend issue. I can understand wanting to know everyone who will be chaperoning on the trip. Don't think it's worth making a stink over though.
But who's going to chaperone the chaperone and her boyfriend? If the BF doesn't have his own hotel room, I don't think this situation sets a good example for your teen daughter to follow.

Also, the teacher seems clueless about Disney. Since the money's sunk, take it as a life lesson and move on.

Upvote 0

phillip9698

But who's going to chaperone the chaperone and her boyfriend? If the BF doesn't have his own hotel room, I don't think this situation sets a good example for your teen daughter to follow.

Also, the teacher seems clueless about Disney. Since the money's sunk, take it as a life lesson and move on.

This isn't 1945 it's very common for men and women to live/stay together without being married. Unless this is a catholic school I don't think that matters at all and shouldn't be anyone's concern.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This isn't 1945 it's very common for men and women to live/stay together without being married. Unless this is a catholic school I don't think that matters at all and shouldn't be anyone's concern.
Being 2019 doesn't make it any more moral than it was in 1945.

I think it's rightly the OP's concern if she doesn't want an unmarried teacher who's taking her boyfriend on an away trip to WDW as a role model for her teen.

Upvote 0

GholsHost

I've been on a few of these trips over the years. The students are part of a group as far as Disney is concerned and the tour company that coordinates these trips doesn't have the resources to allow the students to make fp reserv before they receive their ticket. (I did try to get ticket numbers for my small chaperoned group when FP+ began, and the group structure just didn't allow for this) My kids weren't sure about not having fastpasses before the trip, but once the trip began, they had a blast hanging with their friends and didn't mind the waits. It's just another way to visit the World.
As far as the teacher's boyrfriend on the trip, unless they are rooming together, there probably isn't a lot that will be accomplished by complaining to school admin. But if they are staying in the same room, that is very unprofessional and a few parents voicing their concerns to admin might be a good idea. IMHO

Upvote 0

aliceismad

I wouldn’t care about the boyfriend being there but I’d be annoyed if I the trip was being spent as a vacation for teacher & boyfriend vs them chaperoning the kids as they are supposed to.

I really don’t understand why in the world they would make high school kids cancel a Fastpass and not let them go on splash mountain though. I don’t know how groups trips to disneyworld work though. I went to Disneyland in high school and we were pretty much let go on our own with scheduled meet-ups.

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

Being 2019 doesn't make it any more moral than it was in 1945.

I think it's rightly the OP's concern if she doesn't want an unmarried teacher who's taking her boyfriend on an away trip to WDW as a role model for her teen.

We have no idea about the background of the boyfriend. He could be another teacher in the district. If he is, then he's got all the clearances, and can easily be included as a chaperone (we had other teachers on our NYC trips). Just because he's not known to the group that's going doesn't mean he's some random guy.

As far as the comment about the rooming situation? People can behave professionally on business trips. Is it a test of work/life balance? Absolutely, but it can be done.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom