Trip Report The "I Can't See!!" Trip Report

Welcome everyone!! I'm so excited to get started on this TR!! I wanted to start it a week or so ago but life gets in the way.... I finally have some time to devote to this so here we go!!!

WHO: "The same old, same old crew": myself, my nephew J & my sister E

WHERE: The usual:) Port Orleans Riverside

WHEN: Sunday, February 3rd-Thursday, February 7th

THE REASON FOR THE TITLE:
All this and I still couldn't see!!:arghh: My vision issues came into play many times during this trip.

To explain this a bit.....
A few weeks before the trip I went for my yearly eye exam. My doctor said my eyes were extremely dry so she prescribed me steroid drops to take for a week. When I went back a week later she said I could order glasses but wanted me to try different contacts before I ordered them. She felt given my dry eyes my best bet was going to be contacts that are disposed of daily(they're awesome but not cheap in the least). She gave me a bunch of samples but unfortunately she didn't have any samples in the multifocals. She said that I would have to use readers with the contacts since the samples were only for distance. But her main concern at that point was figuring out which contacts would be most comfortable for me. My new glasses came in three days before we left so I was able to have them but to be totally honest--I ABSOLUTELY HATE WEARING GLASSES. Reasons: Can't wear sunglasses, get spotted in the rain, fog up when you go from the cold into the heat, & the biggest thing for me--my perception(esp. walking down steps) is totally different with glasses--you don't know how many times I trip when I have them on!! I've worn contacts since high school so I'm used to them & that's what I prefer. I will admit for years I would sleep with them in, wake up, squirt some saline in my eyes & I was good to go. If you're reading this & have that habit please stop it now. It's what caused my dry eyes & even though it's not the worst problem to have it's still not comfortable.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND
I was double checking my suitcase & happened to jump on MDE. It was like deja vu(this happened when we were there in September also). E & J's reservation was showing but mine was nowhere to be found.

I closed out, opened the app again then was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD
I was awakened shortly after midnight by a text from E. Uh-oh, trouble already & we haven't left yet!!

Keep in mind my last text to her--it will come into play later!!

When I got up that morning it hit me like a ton of bricks'"If she doesn't have luggage tags she's not set up for ME then either". I texted her to let her know that but she never responded. Our flight wasn't leaving until 1:45 that afternoon so she & I both went to work that morning. We ran into each other at Starbucks(what's the chances of that:hilarious:)on our way to our works. I asked her if she saw the text I sent her that morning & she said no. I told her she probably was going to have an issue with the ME. She said she would call them after she took care of a few things at work.

We left at 11:45 for the airport. We wanted to leave a little earlier but E's husband didn't think it was necessary since it was a Sunday & there wouldn't be too much traffic and b/c we had TSA Precheck.
J's excited to go!!

J & I couldn't really talk on the way to the airport. E & her husband are both funeral directors and they were both on their phones making arrangements for two different families at the same time. Those conversations sounded pretty interesting let me tell you....
Side note:the best is when we're in line for something at Disney & she's on the phone with work & says something like "Did someone pick him up from the morgue yet?" You should see the looks she gets!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

E hard at work....

I bet you can tell which suitcase is mine.

We bid farewell to E's husband & headed to the non existent TSA Precheck line!!

arielrose

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 5TH

I was kind of happy that we were at Disney Springs b/c I needed to get a loofah. I normally buy the smaller ones for $1.00 at Target for when I go away. At the end of a trip I just pitch it so I'm not packing a damp loofah. I was bummed when I realized I forgot to pack one & R said it's only for a few days so it's not that big of a deal. I didn't quite agree with him. A wash cloth & a loofah are two different things. Anyhow, I figured I would be able to get one in Disney Springs for sure.

I stopped in Sephora first. They did not have them but suggested Basin.
View attachment 354776

We walked into a few different stores trying to find shorts for E but weren't having much luck. We were told in the Levi's store that she could buy a pair of jeans & they would cut them for her. Uh, pay all that money to throw away half of them--no thanks!!

We went into World of Disney & she got something for J.
View attachment 354777

IMO this store is soooo much better since it's remodel.
View attachment 354778

View attachment 354779

View attachment 354780

While E was checking out I told her I was going to walk next door to see if Basin had a loofah.
View attachment 354781

$9.99 for this!!:jawdrop: It reminds me of the sponges that my dad used to wash the car with!! I could not believe a lousy sponge could cost that much money.....
View attachment 354782

.....and I can't believe I actually bought it:arghh:
View attachment 354783

I was aggravated that I had just paid $10 for a sponge & E was aggravated b/c she couldn't find any shorts for herself.
We went into Under Armour. Most of the women's clothing is upstairs so she went up while I stayed downstairs with J.
View attachment 354784

I was checking these shirts out while I was waiting. She was able to find something then told me that they give AP's a 15% discount. I ended up buying a couple shirts for myself once I heard that!!
View attachment 354785
I am glad I am not the only one who buys a cheap loofah from target for my WDW trips. :D

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Look at those two adorable asian girls in the background. They look so festive!
Not only were they festive but they were having a blast dancing & waving to all of the characters. They seemed so excited to be there!
Just catching up with your posts! Happy Birthday to J! He is just the cutest little kid!!! He must have been so excited that you bought him an IPOD for his birthday. :) I can't tell you how much I am enjoying following along on your WDW adventure in this TR. Glad that E was able to find shorts for her and J! Those Mickey beignets looked absolutely delicious. I'm in total agreement on how uncomfortable those seats are on Goofy's Barnstomer ride! The Columbia Harbor House salmon is always on our list to eat when we visit MK!
Thanks!! Yes, he was thrilled with the ipod. E wasn't so much but she got over it!:p Thank you so much--I'm glad you're enjoying it!! E wasn't totally thrilled with her shorts b/c she felt that she looked like she should be going to the gym instead. Hey--at least she found shorts I told her. The beignets are really good & they are made to order so they are very fresh. The Barnstormer--that is just plain torture. I really like the lobster roll at Columbia Harbour House but I figured I'd go with something new & I'm glad I did!!
I am glad I am not the only one who buys a cheap loofah from target for my WDW trips. :D
Great minds think alike!! I actually have a bag of them in my closet & I just grab a new one every time I go somewhere. I can't believe I forgot to that time but I will never make that mistake again!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

We met up after the parade. The Dapper Dans came out so we watched them.

E was on the phone with work. I was a little hungry so I got a popcorn for us to share. I was tempted to get the Mickey Balloon Bucket but let's face it--what was I going to do with it?

It was nice to sit there & watch The Dapper Dans show. @ajrwdwgirl I though of you & Brad while I was watching it! Very entertaining!!

MK felt pretty empty at that point.

This fella came out & was mingling with the crowd.

J got his jelly beans & was happy. But, his happiness was short lived b/c on the way to our next venture he spilled them on the ground and ended up losing about 80% of them😢 He was very upset.

A ride on one of his favorites will cheer him up!!

He wanted to ride with me.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

Next up was my favorite!!

I zoomed in & took this picture in the hopes that I would be able to read what the post-its say but I can't make them out.

We wanted to go on the people mover next but the line was ridiculously long & it didn't look like it was moving. So, unfortunately for us we didn't get to go on this trip.

We decided to bid farewell to MK.

But I made sure we stopped at The Confectionery to get some more jelly beans!!

I made sure to get some extras in case we ended up losing a few!!

I got a Mickey chocolate covered brownie for myself & E got a peanut butter cookie. She swears they are the best!!

lindawdw

Great pictures of COP! We couldn't get over how long the lines were for Wedway Peoplemover either. That used to be our go to ride to just enjoy relaxing when all the other lines were too long. :( Glad J was able to get more jelly beans. :)

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

I love the lighting in this photo!!

It was about 6:15 when we headed out of MK.

A Riverside bus was waiting when we got to the stop. Talk about service!!

E joined J & I in the back of the bus. I forgot to mention that J got a pirate Mickey at the PotC gift shop earlier.

Does anyone else besides me get sad on the last bus ride of the trip?

We went to The River Roost about 7:15 to get some dinner & get a seat to see YeHaa Bob!!

J was comparing his two bags of jelly beans.

He was bummed I ordered a glass of cabernet. He wanted to know why I couldn't order this so he could get the glow cube.

I got the Southern Fish & Chips. Never again!! The fish was catfish & it had a funny taste to me. Not like it was bad but it was different & I just didn't care for it. I only managed to eat one piece.

I sent the ketchup over to E b/c I won't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole!!

We got the Loaded Potato Puffs to share. So good!! E got the Bourbon Burger. She's had it before and says it's really good.

When we were placing our orders E asked what could be made for kids. Our waiter responded with "We could make him chicken fingers and fries." J right away spoke up and said "I don't love french fries." When he doesn't like a certain food he says "I don't love _." It's so funny!! He said he could have fruit instead & J was happy with that. The presentation was cute. They came out as fruit kabobs.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great pictures of COP! We couldn't get over how long the lines were for Wedway Peoplemover either. That used to be our go to ride to just enjoy relaxing when all the other lines were too long. :( Glad J was able to get more jelly beans. :)
Thanks! Unfortunately, everyone else must have the same idea now!! He was excited to have a fresh bag of them, that's for sure!!

joshsprincess921

Is catfish just a southern thing? I'm from South Louisiana and I was looking at the menu from Boatwright's and wondering just how much those southern dishes really taste like the ones we eat here. The picture I saw of the jambalaya looks a lot different from what we eat here. I'm sure it's still yummy though! In the New Orleans area you will see more of the creole jambalaya which has the red sauce in it. Where I live we do more of the Cajun jambalaya and gumbo, versus the creole. We have a huge jambalaya festival each year. I'll put a picture so you can see what a typical jambalaya plate and gumbo looks like here. (Always served with bread, potato salad and white beans) But back to the catfish...When you get fried fish in restaurants here it is almost always catfish. I don't care for it unless it is super thin sliced otherwise it's tastes too "fishy". When we have a fish fry at home, we fry either bass or speckled trout. Your dish definitely does not look like thin catfish so I know exactly what taste you are talking about.

slipperalwaysfits

The Dapper Dans came out so we watched them.

I LOVE running into the Dapper Dans, seems like I miss their Main Street appearances!
I love the lighting in this photo!!
Stunning!!!
[/QUOTE

Glad you guys stocked up on Jelly beans! They are my favorite, too! The Magic Star cocktail looks great but a good glass of wine is always a great choice!

I love it when HM stops, so I can really notice all the details!

MeeskaMooska0714

I've finally had a chance to sit down and read this! Loving it so far (as always)! :)

1. I'm pretty much blind without contacts or glasses, and I am with you about the depth perception thing. Switching from contacts to glasses really throws me for a loop!
  2. I too hate sand! The sound of walking barefoot on dry sand gives me goosebumps.
  3. I think I saw you were going to be in WDW in June? We are going to be there June 11-17, so hopefully we can finally cross paths (since we missed each other last year) :)
  4. J is still the cutest ever!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

Let the show begin!!

After Bob plays his first song he always welcomes everyone to the show.
Here's part of what he says:
"Did you have a good day today?"
Crowd answers yes.
"I didn't hear you. Did you have a good day today?"
Crowd answers yes louder.
"Well, that's about to come to an end." :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

He gets everyone to dance around the room. J(who's normally shy when it comes to things like this)joined in & had a blast!!

He calls all the men up front to do the YMCA. The gentleman to J's right was nice enough to help him along.

He caught on pretty quick!!

We said hello to him during the intermission.

We headed back to our rooms about 10:00 just before his second show started. I used to stay for all 3 of his shows but I'm getting too old for that!!

Once I was back at the room I realized I was a bit hungry(thanks a lot catfish!!). I headed back down to The Riverside Mill to get a yogurt parfait only to find that they were out of them so I got this instead.....

I could have kicked myself. Don't get me wrong, it was excellent but I had already had a brownie earlier in the day. I have no self-discipline!!

Doc Disney

Not that there was anything wrong with either flavor but I just wasn't "wowed" by the ice cream. It's obvious that it is a quality ice cream but it just didn't do anything for me. I have mentioned in previous TR's that I'm not a big ice cream fan & I believe that's probably why I felt the way I did. I'm not putting Ample Hills down in the least--it's just the way I am when it comes to ice cream.

I'm with you - I am not super into ice cream either .... shhh don't tell @TrolleyFollower91 :hilarious:

Loving your report as usual !

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is catfish just a southern thing? I'm from South Louisiana and I was looking at the menu from Boatwright's and wondering just how much those southern dishes really taste like the ones we eat here. The picture I saw of the jambalaya looks a lot different from what we eat here. I'm sure it's still yummy though! In the New Orleans area you will see more of the creole jambalaya which has the red sauce in it. Where I live we do more of the Cajun jambalaya and gumbo, versus the creole. We have a huge jambalaya festival each year. I'll put a picture so you can see what a typical jambalaya plate and gumbo looks like here. (Always served with bread, potato salad and white beans) But back to the catfish...When you get fried fish in restaurants here it is almost always catfish. I don't care for it unless it is super thin sliced otherwise it's tastes too "fishy". When we have a fish fry at home, we fry either bass or speckled trout. Your dish definitely does not look like thin catfish so I know exactly what taste you are talking about.
I'm pretty sure it is a southern thing. The restaurants around here don't serve catfish. For the most part when you get fried fish around here it's either cod or haddock. "Too fishy"--that's a good way to put it. It wasn't too fishy in the sense that it was bad it just had a stronger flavor than what I'm used to.
That jambalaya looks really good!! Here's a picture of the jambalaya that I ate at Boatwright's last year. It was really good but spicy. I enjoy spicy foods but this was a bit more than what I was expecting. Not sure how authentic it is but it was good!!

I’m with J ~ why didn’t you get one of these? 😉

I enjoy wine more than mixed drinks. Besides, red wine helps keep the cholesterol down!! So, I drink it more for health reasons:joyfull::joyfull:
I've finally had a chance to sit down and read this! Loving it so far (as always)! :)

1. I'm pretty much blind without contacts or glasses, and I am with you about the depth perception thing. Switching from contacts to glasses really throws me for a loop!
  2. I too hate sand! The sound of walking barefoot on dry sand gives me goosebumps.
  3. I think I saw you were going to be in WDW in June? We are going to be there June 11-17, so hopefully we can finally cross paths (since we missed each other last year) :)
  4. J is still the cutest ever!!
Thank you so much for reading!!

I'm pretty blind without them also. The depth perception drives me nuts & it's a hard thing to adjust to. The glasses are tough for me too so I pretty much just wear them at night when I'm home otherwise I feel like a stumbling fool!!

Sand--yuck!! Everything about it grosses me out!!

Darn--18th-25th. What a bummer.... Our original plans were the 17th-24th but the airfare was quite a bit cheaper to leave on Tuesday instead of Monday. Hopefully next time--3rd times the charm, right?

Thanks!! He is a cutie & so much fun to be around!!
I'm with you - I am not super into ice cream either .... shhh don't tell @TrolleyFollower91 :hilarious:

Loving your report as usual !
I'm glad someone else gets it!!:) I won't tell if you don't!!

Thank you very much!!
I just suddenly realized this is your last evening which means this TR is almost over ☹. But then I noticed in your signature trips already for March and June 😀 (hint hint)
I know--I'm bummed too. I can't believe I'm almost done with this one. I'll probably have it done in the next day or so. Yes, March, June & I have a November trip booked also. E & I were talking about August or September but with the announcement of the Star Wars opening I don't know if I want to put myself through that!!
Forget @TrolleyFollower91 , I'm telling @Longers !!!
I think @Longers already knows:cautious: Speaking of--if my memory serves me correct I believe she is there now & most likely enjoying her daily dose of ice cream!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom