News Mermaid School comes to several Walt Disney World Resort hotels

ThatMouse

If there's no compressed air breathing apparatus, it's perfectly safe... assuming the students can swim

The legs are restricted though which is how you keep your balance if touching the bottom or how you tread water if it's a little above your head.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not sure if a good idea. It opens them up to liability. Even if perfectly safe at WDW, a child may be inspired at home.

When will people stop reading the Daily Mail let alone linking to its articles? The Daily Mail is a fact-free fake-news click-bait generator.

The original study (which the DM article didn't link to), did not say there was a 70% increase in likelihood of drowning. The original study said two things: "increase risk of drowning" and "decrease of swimming ability of 70%." The report on the study then goes on to say how the use of mermaid fins should be closely monitored by parents... something they wouldn't do if there was a whopping 70% increase in drowning. There was a report of a girl who almost drowned due to the flippers, but, there is no statistical increase in drownings because of the flippers, let alone just one reported incident. This makes claiming "70% more risk of drowning" non-sensical, but, very click-baitable.

Calmdownnow

If there's no compressed air breathing apparatus, it's perfectly safe... assuming the students can swim

I'm not sure this is going to be safe training if it takes place in the main pools at these resorts which can get crazy crowded. I hope this doesn't mean that they are going to be using the quieter leisure pools for the mermaid training. People who spend their time at the leisure pools because they want a more tranquil experience will not be happy.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The legs are restricted though which is how you keep your balance if touching the bottom or how you tread water if it's a little above your head.

I'm not sure this is going to be safe training if it takes place in the main pools at these resorts which can get crazy crowded. I hope this doesn't mean that they are going to be using the quieter leisure pools for the mermaid training. People who spend their time at the leisure pools because they want a more tranquil experience will not be happy.
If you have questions or concerns, I suggest you conduct a web search for "mermaid training."

WDW won't be the first such event venue.

Brooklin Disney Dad

We are not on site guests of Disney, but I wouldn’t want my pool space taken over by mermaids for 4 hrs a day. I don’t think my 5 yr old would last 4 hrs with a tail on. Four 1 hr sessions at a more affordable price might be realistic. And Disney is grabbing money with this venture...offering up the pool guests pay for to an outside agency.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We are not on site guests of Disney, but I wouldn’t want my pool space taken over by mermaids for 4 hrs a day. I don’t think my 5 yr old would last 4 hrs with a tail on. Four 1 hr sessions at a more affordable price might be realistic. And Disney is grabbing money with this venture...offering up the pool guests pay for to an outside agency.

The sessions are 1 hour.

HoneyBee1991

I think this a cute idea and a good way to teach kids how to swim underwater without being afraid. I'm actually really surprised at all the negative feedback. Encouraging kids to learn how to swim is always a good idea in my book. It's also a lot cheaper and more interactive then say the princess experiences available in the parks & hotels.

Brooklin Disney Dad

I think this a cute idea and a good way to teach kids how to swim underwater without being afraid. I'm actually really surprised at all the negative feedback. Encouraging kids to learn how to swim is always a good idea in my book. It's also a lot cheaper and more interactive then say the princess experiences available in the parks & hotels.
It is cheaper than the princess dress up and another experience to try if you are not hitting parks every day. I wouldn’t call it “learning to swim” though.

Calmdownnow

The sessions are 1 hour.

Looks like I was wrong about the use of the leisure pools. The publicity for CBR suggests the training will be in the main pool for one hour before the pool opens (8am-9am) and will be held two days per week (Tuesday and Thursday) at that resort, so this won't be taking place when the pools are crazy crowded and will only be in a one-hour session. Minimal impact on other guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom