Seeing WDW through the eyes of my Disneyland veteran relative

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
When we went to WDW last year we brought my cousin. He had been to Disneyland several times but not for a decade. Never had he been to WDW. I know we can be critical of things here but even as an adult who experienced it for the first time it is positive to reflect on how they view it with fresh eyes. Here are things I took away from it:

- He loved the space. Even just taking boats to or a monorail to the different resorts to explore and walk around was fascinating to him. He loved the Polynesian resort (we stayed at the Bonnet Creek Resort which is not Disney property but surrounded by it). He just loved the grand feel of WDW with how big it was and how much land there was. Lots of exploring.

- He loved doing attractions that Disneyland either didn't have or didn't have anymore. Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress were all fun for him. Two of those he had never seen. He was obsessed with going on the Peoplemover, he did not want to miss that at all.

- Absolutely loved Epcot to its core. He learned a few things about it going in. He knew how much of a fuss people made when Figment wasn't around for example. He researched a ton of things going into it. Loved the World Showcase. Just liked walking around the different countries and getting a different feel. He would purposely try to find areas that were secluded and peak around wondering what was behind what doors.

- He couldn't decide if Disneyland was better than Magic Kingdom as a park. He admitted it had been 10 years since he had gone, but in his mind both parks were equal. Even as a WDW veteran I tend to give Disneyland the edge just by a pinch as an individual park, but he loved other aspects such as taking the ferry into the park, the space, the bigger castle, etc. He couldn't decide what was better.

- Also loved the simplicity of the boats and such at Disney Springs. Just taking up a lot of time riding them and checking out different resorts.

eliza61nyc

Nice. Glad he enjoyed it. I do think you miss alot of the nuances when you rush, so I do try to meander.
Poly is a great resort although I love the original version, seems it's was more lush

DfromATX

That was interesting to me. I'm glad he enjoyed it. I've been to Disneyland once .... in 1984! I'd love to see it again and we are talking about going, but I'm pretty sure Disney World has my heart. I understand that they have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I'd love to see what that's all about.

disneyfireman

That was interesting to me. I'm glad he enjoyed it. I've been to Disneyland once .... in 1984! I'd love to see it again and we are talking about going, but I'm pretty sure Disney World has my heart. I understand that they have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I'd love to see what that's all about.
Once you go.....you'll always want to go back!! Disneyland KILLS M.K. I love WDW but DLR is just the BEST of Disney.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

In general I find that the clone rides that Disneyland and Magic Kingdom have usually favour Disneyland. Splash Mountain and I would say Thunder Mountain favour MK. Other than that, Disneyland has more dark rides, is more quaint, has less walking and has stuff like the Matterhorn and Indy. It has that feel of being the original, it is hard to explain. WDW has my heart too, always will, and it is so grand you can find so much to do there. But it is a different dynamic at Disneyland. One that should never be missed.

JIMINYCR

Well since he hasnt been to DL for a decade... its not surprising hed find WDW exciting. I know several people who had been to DL first and then experienced WDW later and they all commented first on the size difference. Glad he had a positive experience... maybe now he will return to DL again for a retry.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Well since he hasnt been to DL for a decade... its not surprising hed find WDW exciting. I know several people who had been to DL first and then experienced WDW later and they all commented first on the size difference. Glad he had a positive experience... maybe now he will return to DL again for a retry.

He just might, but I think he has a lot of unfinished business in WDW. We didn't do everything that's for sure, so we'll bring him back with us.

Twobitgirl

I pretty much live at Disneyland, and it's my ultimate happy place (the happiest on earth in fact!) but WDW is pretty cool. There's so much to see and do, and it has the gift of space and more theme parks. I'll always love Disneyland best, but I vacation at WDW every year if I can afford it. I like to think of it as my second home. I can see how any DL veteran would love WDW and comparing the fascinating differences. You could easily spend a whole year at WDW and still not see it all (but I'd be willing to take a year off to make the attempt!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom