Ever had this happen before? A turnstile saga...

draybook

Original Poster
So upon entry at AK today, we had a first time experience at the turnstile. There was a young lady CM standing in front of one side of the AP turnstile so I assumed it was closed and we got in line for the other side.

After she saw someone behind us holding their AP card, she waved them over and told them to come through. So, I naturally followed suit. She said, "sir, you have to be an annual passholder for this line." I said yeah, I know. Then she said she needed to see my ticket. I said no you don't, the turnstile reads it and I'm using my magic band. She said yes, I need to see it and I said no you don't. As it turned green, I said see, I'm an AP holder and I know what I'm doing and how this works.

First off, yeah, I tend to be snarky when they do stupid things like stand in front of the turnstile and then say they have to see your AP card. In the 10 years and 19 trips of entering parks, I've never had this happen before. Has this happened to you?

I know they have an issue with non holders coming through their line and o wouldn't have minded as much to show her my card had she not been standing in front of it and doing her best Gandalf, you shall not pass impression.

KBLovedDisney

So upon entry at AK today, we had a first time experience at the turnstile. There was a young lady CM standing in front of one side of the AP turnstile so I assumed it was closed and we got in line for the other side.

After she saw someone behind us holding their AP card, she waved them over and told them to come through. So, I naturally followed suit. She said, "sir, you have to be an annual passholder for this line." I said yeah, I know. Then she said she needed to see my ticket. I said no you don't, the turnstile reads it and I'm using my magic band. She said yes, I need to see it and I said no you don't. As it turned green, I said see, I'm an AP holder and I know what I'm doing and how this works.

First off, yeah, I tend to be snarky when they do stupid things like stand in front of the turnstile and then say they have to see your AP card. In the 10 years and 19 trips of entering parks, I've never had this happen before. Has this happened to you?

I know they have an issue with non holders coming through their line and o wouldn't have minded as much to show her my card had she not been standing in front of it and doing her best Gandalf, you shall not pass impression.
Well...I'm not an AP holder or CM, but coming from a retail background, if you walk through with something that is only purchasable via non-minor we have to ask for ID. We did this because it was protocol, not that we don't believe you but like that scenario that CM could have gotten into trouble for not asking to see your AP card just the same.

Just sayin'.

draybook

Original Poster
Well...I'm not an AP holder or CM, but coming from a retail background, if you walk through with something that is only purchasable via non-minor we have to ask for ID. We did this because it was protocol, not that we don't believe you but like that scenario that CM could have gotten into trouble for not asking to see your AP card just the same.

Just sayin'.

That's true but it's never happened before and we were entering the parks. As far as I know, the AP turnstiles are set to reject non APs and require a plaid to come over ride. I can appreciate their reasoning, but her execution was wrong. Standing directly in front of a turnstile signals that it's not for use. That's just me being logical. I hear ya though.

draybook

Original Poster
I'd like to add that I've never witnessed this happen to anyone ahead of us on any trip during any park entry. Not to say it's not a policy but the first time we've encountered it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My DW and I always get stuck behind daily guests who think they should be using the AP line all the time which slows it down quite a bit. I wish they would improve the signage to state AP only instead of just

tallica

Yes, this happened to me once also at AK and it played out almost exactly the same. Happened only once in approximately 75 entries. Has never happened again. I wondered if it was a new and or misinformed CM. I also find it ridiculous that you need to show your AP card in order to get AP discount when all the info is on your MB. Is that not what it was designed for?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I can see both sides of the argument here. I also have many times been stuck behind a non AP guest in the AP line and it is irritating, but in turn it kind of defeats the ease of using the magic band if I have to get my AP card out of my wallet. Better signage would help but only if people read it.

Oddysey

To answer your question, I have never seen this happen. I always wear the AP accessory that comes with my magic band on the actual magic band. I expect that may mitigate the issue. Although, I have often seen non-APs go through the line ahead of me.

That said, I don't really see anything wrong with what the CM did. How else should it be enforced? If your answer is increased signage, I do not really see that changing guest behavior. If the AP line is making non-AP holders and AP holders grumpy then Disney may get rid of it altogether. I suppose this is why we cant have nice things.

Paper straw fan

My DW and I always get stuck behind daily guests who think they should be using the AP line all the time which slows it down quite a bit. I wish they would improve the signage to state AP only instead of just

View attachment 355379

View attachment 355379

This!!

People see the shorter line and don’t bother with things like “words” then get over there and gum up the line, and act mad like they were somehow misled to get in that line. Right now it’s where I’ll just wait in another line because I know it’s coming in the AP line.

Don’t think the CM here was 100% wrong or right. He/she could always be new though.

draybook

Original Poster
I'm really confused here. You said "I know they have a problem with non AP people coming through." So when they try to enforce it by having you show your AP card, you give her an attitude about it?

Also, it will turn green no matter what ticket you use there, so that's why there's someone there to check for it.

Does it bring you joy to be snarky to people doing their job?

What if someone was snarky to you at your job?

Turns out that you're the perfect stereotype of the Annual *assholder and you should probably stop coming if you don't like rules.

Thanks for the compliment. By the way, we left the Animal Kingdom and went back to the Magic Kingdom. Guess what happened at the turnstiles there? The same thing as every other time than this: nothing.

And my "attitude" towards her was due to her saying, "you have to be an annual passholder to use this line". She didn't start by asking, she assumed.

It seems that there is a question of it being an actual rule. I'll make sure to ask a plaid tomorrow, but I've never seen it done before.

Surely you can think of something better than *assholder. When you get done racking your noggin, pm me and we can freely express ourselves there.

draybook

Original Poster
I went through the AP turnstiles a dozen times last August without showing my AP card and was never questioned.
Maybe I have that "You can trust me." look..............:angelic:

Yeah, like I said, we've never been asked before. We've probably been through at least 75 times as passholders.

draybook

Original Poster
To answer your question, I have never seen this happen. I always wear the AP accessory that comes with my magic band on the actual magic band. I expect that may mitigate the issue. Although, I have often seen non-APs go through the line ahead of me.

That said, I don't really see anything wrong with what the CM did. How else should it be enforced? If your answer is increased signage, I do not really see that changing guest behavior. If the AP line is making non-AP holders and AP holders grumpy then Disney may get rid of it altogether. I suppose this is why we cant have nice things.

Well, if she hadn't been standing in front of the turnstile, we would have known that lane was open. And it wasn't just us, there were several groups behind us that expressed the same thing. Plus, she just assumed I wasn't an AP holder, she didn't ask to start with. I'm actually behind your idea of scrapping it, since it's a nuisance sometimes.

Oddysey

Well, if she hadn't been standing in front of the turnstile, we would have known that lane was open. And it wasn't just us, there were several groups behind us that expressed the same thing. Plus, she just assumed I wasn't an AP holder, she didn't ask to start with. I'm actually behind your idea of scrapping it, since it's a nuisance sometimes.

Yeah, I have been looking for them to scrap it for a while. Not really sure what else they can do to implement it in a way that is effective. The current signage certainly isn’t doing much to help. If anything, the big Mickey head may attract non-APs to the line. Especially those who do not read/speak English.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Yeah, like I said, we've never been asked before. We've probably been through at least 75 times as passholders.

Why do you think that means something?

Sometimes we get asked; sometimes we don’t.

That doesn’t mean things are being done correctly when we don’t.

That also doesn’t mean someone is mistreating or insulting us when we do.

So our solution is to always have our cards ready at that point. I’m sure you can handle that.

Your solution is to act like you were wronged and whine, literally taking away from your trip while you’re still there.

It may have been a newer CM who still follows the rules.

Sometimes they’ll ask for ID to buy a drink, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom