Trip Report The "I Can't See!!" Trip Report

Welcome everyone!! I'm so excited to get started on this TR!! I wanted to start it a week or so ago but life gets in the way.... I finally have some time to devote to this so here we go!!!

WHO: "The same old, same old crew": myself, my nephew J & my sister E

WHERE: The usual:) Port Orleans Riverside

WHEN: Sunday, February 3rd-Thursday, February 7th

THE REASON FOR THE TITLE:
All this and I still couldn't see!!:arghh: My vision issues came into play many times during this trip.

To explain this a bit.....
A few weeks before the trip I went for my yearly eye exam. My doctor said my eyes were extremely dry so she prescribed me steroid drops to take for a week. When I went back a week later she said I could order glasses but wanted me to try different contacts before I ordered them. She felt given my dry eyes my best bet was going to be contacts that are disposed of daily(they're awesome but not cheap in the least). She gave me a bunch of samples but unfortunately she didn't have any samples in the multifocals. She said that I would have to use readers with the contacts since the samples were only for distance. But her main concern at that point was figuring out which contacts would be most comfortable for me. My new glasses came in three days before we left so I was able to have them but to be totally honest--I ABSOLUTELY HATE WEARING GLASSES. Reasons: Can't wear sunglasses, get spotted in the rain, fog up when you go from the cold into the heat, & the biggest thing for me--my perception(esp. walking down steps) is totally different with glasses--you don't know how many times I trip when I have them on!! I've worn contacts since high school so I'm used to them & that's what I prefer. I will admit for years I would sleep with them in, wake up, squirt some saline in my eyes & I was good to go. If you're reading this & have that habit please stop it now. It's what caused my dry eyes & even though it's not the worst problem to have it's still not comfortable.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND
I was double checking my suitcase & happened to jump on MDE. It was like deja vu(this happened when we were there in September also). E & J's reservation was showing but mine was nowhere to be found.

I closed out, opened the app again then was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD
I was awakened shortly after midnight by a text from E. Uh-oh, trouble already & we haven't left yet!!

Keep in mind my last text to her--it will come into play later!!

When I got up that morning it hit me like a ton of bricks'"If she doesn't have luggage tags she's not set up for ME then either". I texted her to let her know that but she never responded. Our flight wasn't leaving until 1:45 that afternoon so she & I both went to work that morning. We ran into each other at Starbucks(what's the chances of that:hilarious:)on our way to our works. I asked her if she saw the text I sent her that morning & she said no. I told her she probably was going to have an issue with the ME. She said she would call them after she took care of a few things at work.

We left at 11:45 for the airport. We wanted to leave a little earlier but E's husband didn't think it was necessary since it was a Sunday & there wouldn't be too much traffic and b/c we had TSA Precheck.
J's excited to go!!

J & I couldn't really talk on the way to the airport. E & her husband are both funeral directors and they were both on their phones making arrangements for two different families at the same time. Those conversations sounded pretty interesting let me tell you....
Side note:the best is when we're in line for something at Disney & she's on the phone with work & says something like "Did someone pick him up from the morgue yet?" You should see the looks she gets!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

E hard at work....

I bet you can tell which suitcase is mine.

We bid farewell to E's husband & headed to the non existent TSA Precheck line!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 5TH

We got back to POR about 8:00 & went to the arcade for a bit.
J liked this game the last time we were there. When we walked in he went to where it was when we were there last & was bummed b/c it was gone. Here they just moved it.

E had to help him with his shots.

He really enjoys this game.

E had us go in the photo booth. I think she felt bad b/c last time J wanted to go in but he didn't want me in the pictures!!

We headed back to our rooms about 9:00.

I was still shaking my head over this one:

These were the shirts I bought:

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

I headed out a little after 7 for my morning walk.

I just love this picture!!

I headed down to FQ to get......

I took them back to my room & found this waiting for me.

I headed back out to continue my walk.

When I got back I noticed the detail in the border--probably b/c I had my glasses on!!

I got ready, ate my beignet, & watched the must-do's while I waited for E & J.

I've never noticed the Mickey in the light fixture before.

We had a FP coming up for BTMRR & E texted me to say that J was still sleeping & to go ahead without them so I wouldn't miss the FP time. I texted her to open her door so I could give her the beignets. J was starting to wake then. He asked where I was going & I told him MK. His response:"Make sure you call us when you get there!!":joyfull:

I went to the South Depot & the lines were crazy but 2 MK buses came within a few minutes. I knew I would never get on the first one. I ended up on the next one & we ended up pulling out before the first one!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I love that you went with Ample Hills. The oatmeal lace is my favorite flavor. I was actually on the Ample Hills website the other day and I almost ordered it but the cost is so high. I'll just wait until summer.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
I love that you went with Ample Hills. The oatmeal lace is my favorite flavor. I was actually on the Ample Hills website the other day and I almost ordered it but the cost is so high. I'll just wait until summer.
I actually thought of you when she ordered it b/c I remembered you saying how much you like it!!
I am so with you!! I also dislike it b/c it gets in your hair & you're still washing it out a week later. I also think it is very uncomfortable to walk on.

slipperalwaysfits

We are in the process of moving to a house from an apartment, (finally) so I just caught up with one of my favorite TR writers! Sorry about all the stress with your contacts!

Our FP window opened up for a "recent" favorite of J's: "A Haunted Mansion":hilarious:
So glad he enjoys this ride now!! The talking doombuggy is hilarious! We are going to have to order one for my mother in law! HM is her favorite ride!!

See the CM in the picture? He was AMAZING!! He was running around like crazy trying to get everybody's things for them.
The cast member you refer to at Port Orleans is named Michael Signorello. (sp?) He's on facebook on the Disney Port Orleans group and is very positive and believes in Disney and his job to make people happy to no end. Glad you appriciate him!

The security guard checking my bag said hello to me. I asked him how he was doing. His response was, "I'm taking it one bag at a time."
I laughed and he asked if he could tell me a joke. "The seven dwarfs took a pool the other day. They discovered six of them aren't happy."
I laughed again & he thanked me for laughing at his jokes. Such a fun moment!!

That's hilarious! I'd love to find a funny security guard. I've noticed the Epcot ones are the most grumpy (@Tuvalu) as she can attest, but it's always nice to find someone who enjoys their job, even though it's bag after bag after stroller!

We both love the Italian.
WE love the Italian sammy at EARL's too! We aren't big DS fans, we just go there for what we need, a stop at World of Disney and the Marketplace. I'm glad she found some shorts!

When I got back I noticed the detail in the border--probably b/c I had my glasses on!!

The border detail is stunning! So glad you enjoyed your time in the Royal Room! IT looks pretty incredible! I also love how you let J take all the pictures, he's going to be a great photographer one day soon!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

As soon as I arrived in MK I did the responsible thing & let my nephew know that I arrived safely!! :hilarious:

What a beautiful sight!!

I didn't want to be a creeper but.....(& I only took one!!)

I headed straight to the wildest ride in the wilderness!!

I took this & sent it to R--for no reason other than to rub it in!!:p

I watched the boats going through Splash Mountain for a few minutes. I felt compelled to take this picture since I really don't have any of this attraction since I don't ride it.

In the meantime E was texting me to let me know that they were on their way. By this point in the trip I was getting tired of pulling my readers out of my bag every time I had to read a text. But, I had no choice but to b/c she wasn't there to read them for me. Many times my phone would go off & I would tell her to read it for me b/c I was tired of digging out the glasses.

Rista1313

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

As soon as I arrived in MK I did the responsible thing & let my nephew know that I arrived safely!! :hilarious:
View attachment 354995

What a beautiful sight!!
View attachment 354996

I didn't want to be a creeper but.....(& I only took one!!)
View attachment 354997

I headed straight to the wildest ride in the wilderness!!
View attachment 354998

View attachment 354999

View attachment 355000

I took this & sent it to R--for no reason other than to rub it in!!:p
View attachment 355001

View attachment 355002

I watched the boats going through Splash Mountain for a few minutes. I felt compelled to take this picture since I really don't have any of this attraction since I don't ride it.
View attachment 355004

In the meantime E was texting me to let me know that they were on their way. By this point in the trip I was getting tired of pulling my readers out of my bag every time I had to read a text. But, I had no choice but to b/c she wasn't there to read them for me. Many times my phone would go off & I would tell her to read it for me b/c I was tired of digging out the glasses.

You should have worn them like sunglasses on top of your head.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH
Knowing that I still had some time before they arrived I decided to go on something I had never been on before.

Wow--that sun was bright!!

The wait was WAY longer than the ride itself....it was 20 minutes.

Some Tron construction.

I've never really cared to ride this b/c I'm afraid of heights(I know, I know it's a kiddie coaster)but I figured I'd give it a shot one time. And that was more than enough. I had no time to be concerned about the height b/c I was too focused on the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in!! It was pretty bad. Thank goodness the ride is short!!

E & J still weren't there so I decided to go Under the Sea. It said it was a 10 minute wait but it was more like 20. Then our clam shells were stopped multiple times during the ride. E texted me that they had arrived while I was in line. I told her I would meet them for our next FP.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
You sand haters are killing me~ I love to stick my toes in the nice warm sand while listening to the ocean~
Sorry--I've never been a fan of it!!
These are the first pictures I've seen of the new Disney Jr. Dance Party. I'm excited to see them. I think my son will love this.
It was cute. They definitely encouraged the kids to participate more in this show than they did in the previous one.
We are in the process of moving to a house from an apartment, (finally) so I just caught up with one of my favorite TR writers! Sorry about all the stress with your contacts!
Awww--thanks so much for the compliment!! The contacts...ugh!!
So glad he enjoys this ride now!! The talking doombuggy is hilarious! We are going to have to order one for my mother in law! HM is her favorite ride!!
I still think I need to buy myself one!!
The cast member you refer to at Port Orleans is named Michael Signorello. (sp?) He's on facebook on the Disney Port Orleans group and is very positive and believes in Disney and his job to make people happy to no end. Glad you appriciate him!
Thanks for the info!! I will have to check out the group!!
That's hilarious! I'd love to find a funny security guard. I've noticed the Epcot ones are the most grumpy (@Tuvalu) as she can attest, but it's always nice to find someone who enjoys their job, even though it's bag after bag after stroller!
With nobody listening to have their bags open & ready!!
Now I must find this group....I've loved all three of my Port Orleans stays. Still want to try other resorts, but they will always have a special place in my heart.
I'm going to find it myself!!
You should have worn them like sunglasses on top of your head.
You're so right!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

E & J were waiting for me at the entrance to the FP line. Good thing they found shorts b/c it was really warm!!

Skipper Jason was really funny!!

As we got off the boat we saw our favorite, Skipper Joseph!! He told us he was training that day so he wasn't on the boats.

We didn't have far to go for our last FP.

J asked me to hold him tight when we went down the hill.

All of my pictures(like they usually are on this ride) were blurry so I'm not going to bother including them.

J & I had a little sword fight in the gift shop afterwards.

Last edited:

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH
We decided to have lunch at one of our favorites--Columbia Harbour House!! We mobile ordered as we were walking. E & J shared the chicken & shrimp platter and I had the salmon. I was a little skeptical of getting it b/c well, I wasn't totally sold on "salmon coming from a fast food type of restaurant". E told me she had it before & it was good. It was excellent!! I was pleasantly surprised.

J was sneaking sips of his mom's Starbucks. I forgot to mention that she stopped there when they first got to the park.

We had time to squeeze in one more ride before J had to take a nap. "A Haunted Mansion" it was!!

This was what we walked into after leaving the stretching room--it was completely crazy. I have never seen it like that before.

The spirits stopped our doom buggy quite a few times so I was able to get some pretty cool pictures.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6TH

E headed off to walk J around so he could fall asleep. I headed to PhilharMagic.

I have never seen it this crowded!!

I headed to Main Street to meet up with E.

I bought 3 items in The Emporium-a puzzle & two cars. The CM asked me if I needed a bag. I told her yes & she kind of rolled her eyes at me. I guess she thought I should have purchased one of their reusable bags but I didn't.

I ran into E in one of the stores. J was sleeping but I made sure I got him some jelly beans.

E headed over to The Emporium just before the parade came through. I walked out to find the perfect spot right in front of me. I tried to take pictures that I normally don't.

Yay!! Maleficent was back!!

lindawdw

Just catching up with your posts! Happy Birthday to J! He is just the cutest little kid!!! He must have been so excited that you bought him an IPOD for his birthday. :) I can't tell you how much I am enjoying following along on your WDW adventure in this TR. Glad that E was able to find shorts for her and J! Those Mickey beignets looked absolutely delicious. I'm in total agreement on how uncomfortable those seats are on Goofy's Barnstomer ride! The Columbia Harbor House salmon is always on our list to eat when we visit MK!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom