Epcot is a shell of its former self.

there'sagreatbigbeautiful

Original Poster
After 26 years, i went to WDW again! I have been obsessed after my trip (I know, brutal) and made this account to tell one of my major takeaways from my recent trip. Epcot is not what it used to be.

I still remember EPCOT Center. I remember all the cool educational stuff that was there. It was unlike any theme parks I have been to. I have still not been to any thing like it. It was by far my favorite park out of the 3. Though, That was a very long time ago.

In my recent trip i was exited to go back. I did not realize at first that the name had changed, but I got used to it. I went in, saw Spaceship Earth, and i was ready. The big shocker was for me was that i realized most of the pavilions were gone. The ones were left were almost unrecognizable, too. For example, the imagination pavillon. Most of the rides I remember were not there either. While I was expecting this, I was not expecting the replacements. TT and Mission: SPACE have loose educational themes but are mostly for thrills. Soarin' was nice and all, BUT HOW DOES IT FIT THE LAND. YOU ARE IN THE AIR THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE RIDE. Sorry. It is a ticking time for the three caballeros to be replaced with coco (it would be perfect)but I guess that does not bother me. The frozen ride though is so obesely meant to draw the MK crowd to Epcot (You have to walk to the very back of the park to get there, so it makes sense). Spaceship earth is one of the last things that remains of the old EPCOT Center, and i guess that is okay.

Like i said, EPCOT Center was my favorite park. Now though, Epcot was my least favorite. It did not have to compare to AK (which i loved) but still. I guess it is kind of in a transitional stage to a more tommorwland esque theme park with IP they can't fit anywhere else, but there is just something lacking. Its probably not going to go back to how it was, but really, I just want to reminisce on the old days. Goodbye, EPCOT Center. Hello Epcot.

eliza61nyc

Yep, it is. If you go to the news section, you will find an entire section called evolving epcot that pretty much hashes, rehashes and beats to death the whole where, why and when of this topic. I can't reminisce about the "good ole days" but right now it's a dull, old park that is in need of a major, major renovation so I'm slap happy they are moving forward with new stuff.

As you said, it was a long time ago.....

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Just throwing this out there, but wasn't Epcot more or less meant to be an ever-changing park if anything? I realize things are changing in the park. I did not like them taking Maelstrom out. They could have kept it in there and still had Frozen. The good part is at least there are still some aspects of the ride that remind you of Maelstrom.

One thing I missed was how sparse Innoventions was. There used to be two sides of it, now just one and even then it is not plentiful. Is it the Disneyfication of Epcot? Some might say.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
After 26 years, i went to WDW again! I have been obsessed after my trip (I know, brutal) and made this account to tell one of my major takeaways from my recent trip. Epcot is not what it used to be.

I still remember EPCOT Center. I remember all the cool educational stuff that was there. It was unlike any theme parks I have been to. I have still not been to any thing like it. It was by far my favorite park out of the 3. Though, That was a very long time ago.

In my recent trip i was exited to go back. I did not realize at first that the name had changed, but I got used to it. I went in, saw Spaceship Earth, and i was ready. The big shocker was for me was that i realized most of the pavilions were gone. The ones were left were almost unrecognizable, too. For example, the imagination pavillon. Most of the rides I remember were not there either. While I was expecting this, I was not expecting the replacements. TT and Mission: SPACE have loose educational themes but are mostly for thrills. Soarin' was nice and all, BUT HOW DOES IT FIT THE LAND. YOU ARE IN THE AIR THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE RIDE. Sorry. It is a ticking time for the three caballeros to be replaced with coco (it would be perfect)but I guess that does not bother me. The frozen ride though is so obesely meant to draw the MK crowd to Epcot (You have to walk to the very back of the park to get there, so it makes sense). Spaceship earth is one of the last things that remains of the old EPCOT Center, and i guess that is okay.

Like i said, EPCOT Center was my favorite park. Now though, Epcot was my least favorite. It did not have to compare to AK (which i loved) but still. I guess it is kind of in a transitional stage to a more tommorwland esque theme park with IP they can't fit anywhere else, but there is just something lacking. Its probably not going to go back to how it was, but really, I just want to reminisce on the old days. Goodbye, EPCOT Center. Hello Epcot.
Curious that you mention that the Three Caballeros and how its a ticking time for them to be replaced. In the timeline of the attraction they have been added fairly recently. Surprised you didnt mention the change over from the original format from what you likely saw 26 years ago.

NickPytlinski

Strange, i still like epcot. it probably does need some updating again though. as another poster said, its an ever changing park looking to the future.

i miss captain EO :(

Nottamus

Epcot has and always will be my favorite park. I'm also someone who thinks the festivals add to the park rather than detract.
I disagree. I used to look forward to the annual Food and Wine/Flower and Garden -- but now, it's ridiculous. You can barely visit without a festival. Yes, yes, money (please, I know about this) but the serenity of World Showcase used to be a huge selling point for me. That is GONE.

Its still the our favorite place in WDW also. (after AKL, that is...) It HAS changed from the past, it WILL change again...but we still love it there. Sure, its just OUR OPINION....some people like brussel sprouts...some don't. We really like illuminations, and well, thats changing too. BUT it wont change the memories we had there. The new show will just make new ones.

The festivals are the reason we book sometimes. And sometimes we book to miss them. We have found a few times to book where the crowds there are well, not there...

Centeral

-I love E.P.C.O.T., it is my life, I listen to the sappy soundtrack everyday & don't plan to stop anytime soon!¡! -I miss the inspiring visions of our future!¡! -I would kill to have a ride on any ride (except the Carribbean coral reef ride), the sunsets seemed to be more vibrant then, the sky bluer & the pavillion a monuments to our world's lifetime!¡!

NickMaio

EPCOT was about learning in a fun way. Sadly the masses have spoken - - - WDW had to listen - - - People do not want to learn anymore while in a theme park. Just be flung around massive screens or coaster and scream, thrill rides.
EPCOT was, and kind of still is, my favourite WDW park. As a child I loved all of the learning rides, edutainment, rides geared to teach you about something, or explore.
I grew up with learning issues all through school. Yet when my family would go to EPCOT somehow I could remember what the rides were teaching. I loved it, I felt so smart as a kid. I would come home and tell my friends and teachers what I learned in Orlando. EPCOT taught about human achievement and the future or possibilities. So imaginative! EPCOT was a place that I loved. I remember riding Horizons 10+ times in a row, "I can still smell the oranges".

I too miss the old EPCOT and I lament what WDW has done to their most innovative theme park.

Raineman

I don't necessarily think you can paint the whole park with the same brush. Future World? Definitely incomparable to the classic Future World. World Showcase? I don't think it has declined much at all. As another poster pointed out, the never-ending festivals is another subject altogether.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I would add and the observation that long ago, the attendance was low enough that there actually were double-decker buses along the World Showcase Promenade as well as the Tapestry of Nations/Tapestry of Dreams daily parades. 1992 technologically, socially, and economically was a different era. $4.25 an hour minimum wage....

donaldtoo

Just throwing this out there, but wasn't Epcot more or less meant to be an ever-changing park if anything? I realize things are changing in the park. I did not like them taking Maelstrom out. They could have kept it in there and still had Frozen. The good part is at least there are still some aspects of the ride that remind you of Maelstrom.

One thing I missed was how sparse Innoventions was. There used to be two sides of it, now just one and even then it is not plentiful. Is it the Disneyfication of Epcot? Some might say.

In regards to EPCOT Center/Epcot, specifically, ever-changing, to me anyway, meant striving to continually smarten the Park up instead of dumbing it down. Disney has, by far and away, mostly chosen the latter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom