DLR Nighttime Shows (Help for a Newbie)

Amidala

Original Poster
Hey guys, apologizing in advance if this has all been covered before (I assume it has, but couldn't find anything browsing the forum). I worked at MK for a few years and am going to start working at DLR in the summer. But I've never been to California let alone Disneyland, so this is all completely new territory for me! That being said...can someone help me make sense of the nighttime entertainment situation? I'm kind of confused about what's permanent, what's seasonal and what's upcoming!

I know an article on the Disney parks blog said PTN would "conclude its limited run" on Nov. 7th to make way for Festival of Holidays. Now that we're heading into March, has the Festival of Holidays finished up? And if so, will PTN be coming back in between now and the 2019 holiday season, or is it retiring indefinitely? I've always wanted to see PTN and would definitely be disappointed if I missed my chance.

I was also wondering about the fireworks currently running. Is Mickey's Mix Magic the new, permanent fireworks show replacing Remember...Dreams Come True? Or is it just a temporary show celebrating Mickey's 90th? Wishes at MK was a huge favorite of mine and I know it shares a lot of similarities with RDCT, so seeing that show was also something I've been looking forward to.

And lastly, I've heard there are certain times of the year when fireworks and nighttime shows like Fantasmic only run during the weekends and was wondering if there was any truth to that/and how it would work, if so.

Basically, any clarification on the current & upcoming slate of nighttime fireworks/parades/shows (& how their nighttime entertainment differs from WDW in general) would be SUCH a huge help to me. Like I said, WDW is my home resort and my knowledge of DLR mostly comes from the internet, so it's very piecemeal. Any help from the experts would be appreciated 👌

rebelk73

I haven't heard any rumblings about PTN returning. For updated showtimes you just have to check the schedule. MMM is the fireworks show happening. Probably until the holidays next year at least. Everything could change with GE.

Darkbeer1

Disneyland does only offer some types of entertainment on a reduced level in the "off-season", so we are talking about early January through late May, and then again from late August to mid-December.

The key dates are weekends and Holidays, plus a couple of weeks during Spring Break, where Disney tries to offer everything, of course, refurbs and weather can prevent that.

Mickey's Mix Magic is a multi-media show that is designed to not require fireworks, and only use projections and music. Fireworks are added on the Weekends and Holidays, weather permitting. (The schedule will state "with Fireworks" on those selected nights.

Fantasmic! uses a large amount of Entertainment staff, many of which are college students, so once again, weekends and Holidays.

Other shows might only be offered selected days during the week, so you need to check the schedule, which is only released a few weeks in advance.

SuddenStorm

Fantasmic! uses a large amount of Entertainment staff, many of which are college students, so once again, weekends and Holidays.

Suddenly my current college cook job seems extraordinarily lame and unfulfilling.

Though that will be changing come August when my friend moves to Anaheim to start at semester long program overseen by Anaheim's premier entertainment company...

SuddenStorm

Hey guys, apologizing in advance if this has all been covered before (I assume it has, but couldn't find anything browsing the forum). I worked at MK for a few years and am going to start working at DLR in the summer. But I've never been to California let alone Disneyland, so this is all completely new territory for me! That being said...can someone help me make sense of the nighttime entertainment situation? I'm kind of confused about what's permanent, what's seasonal and what's upcoming!

I know an article on the Disney parks blog said PTN would "conclude its limited run" on Nov. 7th to make way for Festival of Holidays. Now that we're heading into March, has the Festival of Holidays finished up? And if so, will PTN be coming back in between now and the 2019 holiday season, or is it retiring indefinitely? I've always wanted to see PTN and would definitely be disappointed if I missed my chance.

I was also wondering about the fireworks currently running. Is Mickey's Mix Magic the new, permanent fireworks show replacing Remember...Dreams Come True? Or is it just a temporary show celebrating Mickey's 90th? Wishes at MK was a huge favorite of mine and I know it shares a lot of similarities with RDCT, so seeing that show was also something I've been looking forward to.

And lastly, I've heard there are certain times of the year when fireworks and nighttime shows like Fantasmic only run during the weekends and was wondering if there was any truth to that/and how it would work, if so.

Basically, any clarification on the current & upcoming slate of nighttime fireworks/parades/shows (& how their nighttime entertainment differs from WDW in general) would be SUCH a huge help to me. Like I said, WDW is my home resort and my knowledge of DLR mostly comes from the internet, so it's very piecemeal. Any help from the experts would be appreciated 👌

Are you planning a trip? If so, looking at last year's entertainment calendar for that day or giving us the general time you'd be at Disneyland could help figure out what will be showing and what won't be.

Amidala

Original Poster
@SuddenStorm Thank you! Good to know, especially re: seasonal scheduling.

Are you planning a trip? If so, looking at last year's entertainment calendar for that day or giving us the general time you'd be at Disneyland could help figure out what will be showing and what won't be.

I'm moving to Anaheim to work there in mid-August, so I'll be at the resort in time for the 2019 holidays.

Darkbeer1

I'm moving to Anaheim to work there in mid-August, so I'll be at the resort in time for the 2019 holidays.

As an Anaheim Resident, welcome in advance. And trust me, plenty to see/do in the Anaheim area other than Disneyland...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom