Terminally ill and need scooter

Bryant072461

I have ALS and am in need of a scooter! I am taking my daughter who couldn’t be with us for Christmas week of 2017. I don’t want to take the bus but may have to if I can’t get a scooter at the park. Can anyone help?
I want to be able to get around but just can’t walk to well. I would appreciate any help in this my final trip. Thank you!!

NeedMoreMickey

This is not true!!
Taking the boat is the fastest easiest way to get to the main gate!!!
Only a few steps to the rental facility!!
Once again Disney is not prioritizing a terminally ill person over an overweight one!!!
After over 20 visits to Disney I have found the level of caring to be embarrassing!!!!
I guess asking to reserve a ECV for your last visit is too much!!!
Disney has gone from a family oriented company to a greedy one!!!
Sounds like who this country is going!
Thanks for nothing!!!
I would cancel except that it would take away from my daughters memories!!!
😡
Don’t assume because someone is overweight and on a scooter that they are lazy. There are many health issues some temporary like a recent accident or a life changing health issue like an autoimmune disease that people have that using a scooter will make their WDW trip enjoyable.

Sounds like you are fearful of taking the scooter onto a bus. It's not that difficult and I've seen bus driver help people all the time. Renting one to be delivered at the resort will let you use it at the resort and it is usually cheaper to rent from off site.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

This is not true!!
Taking the boat is the fastest easiest way to get to the main gate!!!
Only a few steps to the rental facility!!
Once again Disney is not prioritizing a terminally ill person over an overweight one!!!
After over 20 visits to Disney I have found the level of caring to be embarrassing!!!!
I guess asking to reserve a ECV for your last visit is too much!!!
Disney has gone from a family oriented company to a greedy one!!!
Sounds like who this country is going!
Thanks for nothing!!!
I would cancel except that it would take away from my daughters memories!!!
😡

You REALLY need to dial down the hyperbole and stop yelling. You've been given excellent, accurate, and not emotionally skewed advice on how and where to rent your ECV. And just because WDW rental policies don't happen to coincide with your specific desires does not make them greedy or unaccommodating to the mobility challenged. As several people have pointed out, renting from an outside agency so that you have access to your ECV 24/7 would be ideal for you. Perhaps you are unaware of the amount of walking you would need to do just at your resort, never mind the distances between the buses and the gates at all the other parks. You MAY be able to use the boat to MK. But would any sane person cancel a WDW trip because they MIGHT have to take a fully accessible bus instead? Seriously? As someone who has her own set of mobility challenges I can tell you that you will need to learn to adapt to your environment, not expect your environment to adapt just for you. So yes, this might mean having to take a bus instead of a boat. Please adjust your attitude; if not for your own peace of mind, then for your daughter's sake.

And please lay off the bashing of other ECV users in the park. How dare you. They are certainly not all overweight. And the overweight riders may have just as much need for one for medical reasons as the normal or underweight riders. Disney does not prioritize their ECV rentals to overweight guests. They don't prioritize them for anyone- it is first come first served for EVERY ONE. And in case you're assuming facts not in evidence- I'm not an ECV user. My wheels are the chair version.

Upvote 0

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
My mom is totally mobile (she doesn’t use a wheelchair). But standing for long periods is tough. And the walking at Disney gets to be a lot which was why I wanted to rent the scooter for the week. As folks said just the walk to a park can be long. My description to her was hey, you could park it and walk around some when you are in a park if you are feeling OK. Standing is tougher than walking.
I did a trip at Christmas with a family memeber using an ECV and another on a knee scooter. I wrote a trip report and spoke a lot about how the lines handled the ECV and knee scooter. I will give you the cliff note version here: my FIL was able to ride the scooter all the way to the boarding point almost everytime. Some exclusions apply. Ask the CM at the front if the line, they are there to help and will help you where possible.

Upvote 0

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
Is that scooter rental place still on the Boardwalk where you rent the surrey bikes? And what is the name?

Upvote 0

Disorbust

So we do the rent a scooter ahead every trip from Walker mobility. We usually stay at YBC so Mom can scoot to Epcot and MGM. We also avoid MK during peak times because MK with a scooter can be nerve racking. We have taken the bus many times and without any problems, I am not sure why the bus is an issue for you? Since my mother is smaller, NOT OVERWEIGHT, she get the smaller scooter and my daughter and I can lift it into a minivan/SUV assembled.

I do understand your frustration at how many people rent scooters at the parks.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
We use Buena Vista for our clients. They are one of the preferred companies that Disney works with, Walker is not. Buena Vista can drop off and pick up at bell services.
Getting a scooter from an outside company will be less expensive than getting one at the gate.
I understand your frustrations, we handle a lot of clients with various disabilities,etc and have had these discussions many times. I also had a very close friend that had a very advanced form of ALS so I am aware of how the disease progresses. My heart goes out to you for dealing with this disease and wanting to make this trip memorable @Bryant072461

Pam

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We use Buena Vista for our clients. They are one of the preferred companies that Disney works with, Walker is not. Buena Vista can drop off and pick up at bell services.
Getting a scooter from an outside company will be less expensive than getting one at the gate.
I understand your frustrations, we handle a lot of clients with various disabilities,etc and have had these discussions many times. I also had a very close friend that had a very advanced form of ALS so I am aware of how the disease progresses. My heart goes out to you for dealing with this disease and wanting to make this trip memorable @Bryant072461

Pam

Disney gave us 4 names for scooters when I found myself in a boot before our December trip. Buena Vista a month out just gave me a lecture on how I should have ordered months ago. Funny cause months ago I could walk.

Went onto the 2nd name provided by Disney Apple.

It was there when we checked into Bonnet Creek Hilton. I ordered the one that breaks down. It fit in every Uber we ordered. It broke down into a few pieces with one hand after first attempt it took less than 30 seconds to take apart while waiting for an Uber. The heaviest piece is 50#. Every Uber offered to help load but my two adult kids could easily handle loading it. It was 3 wheels and shorter in length which made it easier to turn or park than the larger models.

This is the specific one I ordered for reference:

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Oh wow!!!! We have never had that kind of an issue with Buena Vista.. for years we used Walker until Disney implemented the rule where are they would only work with certain companies. I've heard nothing but bad about Apple that's why we won't use them.

Pam

Upvote 0

Simba’s Mom

I have used in park scooters, and also gone with 3 different scooter companies on different trips. Walker's "tiller" (or whatever you call the thing that controls the speed with your handle) was very hard to manage with my arthritic hands; Buena Vista seemed to have a very small basket and I had difficulty with getting my scooter at Bell Services, where Buena Vista left it (Bell Services lost the key, so I had to wait almost 1/2 hour while they found another key). Also, I've read stories of people leaving their scooter at Bell Services at the end of their vacation, only to get called from the vendor who had no record of it being there. Since then, I decided to go with a company that delivered the scooter to ME, not to Bell Services. This last trip, I tried Gold Mobility Scooters and was very pleased with their service and the scooter. As someone who has a neurological condition in the ALS family, I really hope your trip goes smoothly.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Oh wow!!!! We have never had that kind of an issue with Buena Vista.. for years we used Walker until Disney implemented the rule where are they would only work with certain companies. I've heard nothing but bad about Apple that's why we won't use them.

Pam

Apple Went perfectly. New-ish scooter. The gentleman at Buena Vista was abrupt in his shaming me for not knowing to order in advance. I didn't break my foot in time for his 6 month out quip. Apple was pleasant, explained my options, told me which would break down with ease. We were at the resort by 10am for check-in and the room was ready and the scooter was waiting for me. Billing was exactly what they said it would be. In a heart beat I'd order one again from Apple.

I'm only guessing but maybe Buena Vista is more accommodating because you are also a Disney endorsed Travel Agent and if they spoke to you like they did me an individual you might pass that onto Disney as being problematic. Maybe? I called Buena first because they were the first outside company I saw years ago blessed by Disney and they rented at the Boardwalk near the Bikes at that point. It stuck in my memory with the list Disney gave me so I tried them first. I simple I'm sorry we do not have the availability for those dates would have been acceptable. Marie is my Rep through your company and we love her. That is how businesses should operate.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Don’t assume because someone is overweight and on a scooter that they are lazy. There are many health issues some temporary like a recent accident or a life changing health issue like an autoimmune disease that people have that using a scooter will make their WDW trip enjoyable.

Sounds like you are fearful of taking the scooter onto a bus. It's not that difficult and I've seen bus driver help people all the time. Renting one to be delivered at the resort will let you use it at the resort and it is usually cheaper to rent from off site.

I only road the bus twice and the boat 3 times in December with my cart. I chose to use Uber most of that trip @Bryant072461 All went flawlessly. I parked my scooter on the boat and monorail. I let the bus driver park the scooter on the bus. Dropping a scooter at the resort went perfect. Try not to overthink it. The systems they have in place work well for those who need accommodations.

And I disagree with the over weight comment. Sure that is the case with some. Not me. Things happen to us all, me a foot in a boot. I could not do Disney without the cart. I am a small woman that just had a mishap before a trip.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Also, I've read stories of people leaving their scooter at Bell Services at the end of their vacation, only to get called from the vendor who had no record of it being there.
Some guests forget that you need to sign the book to get your key and then at the end of the trip sign the book AND return your key. I have seen drivers pull up, get off the scooter and walk away without any acknowledgement and recording by Bell Services - and that is the fault of the guest, not Bell Services.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Apple Went perfectly. New-ish scooter. The gentleman at Buena Vista was abrupt in his shaming me for not knowing to order in advance. I didn't break my foot in time for his 6 month out quip. Apple was pleasant, explained my options, told me which would break down with ease. We were at the resort by 10am for check-in and the room was ready and the scooter was waiting for me. Billing was exactly what they said it would be. In a heart beat I'd order one again from Apple.

I'm only guessing but maybe Buena Vista is more accommodating because you are also a Disney endorsed Travel Agent and if they spoke to you like they did me an individual you might pass that onto Disney as being problematic. Maybe? I called Buena first because they were the first outside company I saw years ago blessed by Disney and they rented at the Boardwalk near the Bikes at that point. It stuck in my memory with the list Disney gave me so I tried them first. I simple I'm sorry we do not have the availability for those dates would have been acceptable. Marie is my Rep through your company and we love her. That is how businesses should operate.
Marie is great!!! If a client has an issue with them, we would certainly report it to our sales manager. We have dropped certain companies in the past due to client issues so I will question my agents about them. We used Walker for YEARS and I was quite surprised that they weren't on the list. They are top notch!

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom