News Disney Riviera Resort announced

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone still want to argue that the original concept art was a best attempt?
This:

Vs this:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, at least we can see that there will be a walkway going all the way around the lake that the CBRers can take.

Also, we can see the walkway around the Riviera Skyliner station that they'll have to take to approach the other side and other direction of the gondolas.

Sir_Cliff

toonaspie

I don't really see a difference in the different versions of the concept art (for better or worse). And that's keeping in mind that when this resort (and early concept art) was first announced, no one could even tell what the theme was supposed to be or what they meant theming wise by Riveria.

flyerjab

Anyone still want to argue that the original concept art was a best attempt?
This:
View attachment 352188
Vs this:
View attachment 352187
View attachment 352189
View attachment 352190

Honestly @GoofGoof , I think that this resort is beautiful, along with the room renderings and common areas. We are planning on staying there in December this year. Our son’s school district performs in WDW every other year. He happens to be in chorus so - bonus - we get to see him in the Candlelight Processional! We were staying only in BWV this December, but if this opens in December, we will be staying there for a split stay. We are quite psyched about it. Considering the potential crowd levels with everything new being open by then, we might not leave the resort! LOL

Sir_Cliff

I guess everyone just sees what they want to see. To each their own. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind.
I think it looks like a pretty nice hotel, so we probably agree there. Where we might disagree is that I find it hard to imagine you'd be able to tell it was supposed to be themed if you hadn't read the press release and knew it was at WDW.

Unlike, say...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it looks like a pretty nice hotel, so we probably agree there. Where we might disagree is that I find it hard to imagine you'd be able to tell it was supposed to be themed if you hadn't read the press release and knew it was at WDW.

Unlike, say...

View attachment 352248
Yes, it’s theme pales in comparison to Wilderness Lodge. 100% agreed. IMHO that’s also true of every other Disney resort except maybe AKL and Grand CA.

doctornick

I guess everyone just sees what they want to see. To each their own. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind.

I'm with you. When I look at both the more recent concept art and what has been built, it looks like a very pretty resort to me and I think does evoke a European design. I'm certainly interested in staying there. That said, I do agree with the point that it could be more distinctive and interesting and some of the other examples that have been offered could have been "better". So, in judging Disney versus what they could have done, sure I can see the complaint.

But when people compare it to a generic hotel, I don't get it. Certainly seems a step up to me compared to anything ordinary. And I think the extra features (lakeside with walking path, central location with the Skyliner, roof top restaurant) will make it a popular place to stay.

Also, I do prefer the tower setup as I've stated before. While it does lead to a more repetitive overall design due to the height, as a resort guest it is so much nicer to be a short elevator ride away from amenities compared to how spread out over some resorts are at WDW.

eddie104

I'm with you. When I look at both the more recent concept art and what has been built, it looks like a very pretty resort to me and I think does evoke a European design. I'm certainly interested in staying there. That said, I do agree with the point that it could be more distinctive and interesting and some of the other examples that have been offered could have been "better". So, in judging Disney versus what they could have done, sure I can see the complaint.

But when people compare it to a generic hotel, I don't get it. Certainly seems a step up to me compared to anything ordinary. And I think the extra features (lakeside with walking path, central location with the Skyliner, roof top restaurant) will make it a popular place to stay.

Also, I do prefer the tower setup as I've stated before. While it does lead to a more repetitive overall design due to the height, as a resort guest it is so much nicer to be a short elevator ride away from amenities compared to how spread out over some resorts are at WDW.
Exactly it’s features doesn’t scream generic hotel. I think the color scheme is what is throwing people off because it actually has some nice elements like the roof and decorative details on the building itself. Compared to super grand examples like AKL....yea it lacks something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Honestly @GoofGoof , I think that this resort is beautiful, along with the room renderings and common areas. We are planning on staying there in December this year. Our son’s school district performs in WDW every other year. He happens to be in chorus so - bonus - we get to see him in the Candlelight Processional! We were staying only in BWV this December, but if this opens in December, we will be staying there for a split stay. We are quite psyched about it. Considering the potential crowd levels with everything new being open by then, we might not leave the resort! LOL
I know you are kidding, but there’s actually quite a bit to do at the resort when you consider it’s a short walk to CBR too. Between the two there are multiple pools, lots of dining options and activities like boat and bike rentals (I think they still have them at CBR) plus I’m sure they will have the regular DVC recreation options too. You can also hop the gondola to Boardwalk area for even more options. You could easily spend half a week without entering the parks and have plenty to do.

flyerjab

I know you are kidding, but there’s actually quite a bit to do at the resort when you consider it’s a short walk to CBR too. Between the two there are multiple pools, lots of dining options and activities like boat and bike rentals (I think they still have them at CBR) plus I’m sure they will have the regular DVC recreation options too. You can also hop the gondola to Boardwalk area for even more options. You could easily spend half a week without entering the parks and have plenty to do.

Actually, I was only partially kidding. On December 16th of any other year the parks are crazy crowded. Now add SW:GE, MMRR, new nighttime shows at DHS and Epcot, as well as new resorts and the Skyliner, we might be spending more time at the resort than normal. I can’t imagine what the crowd levels will be like on December 16th this year! But thanks for pointing out what more we can do at Riviera. With the walkway around to CBR, and the Skyliner to Boardwalk, that makes this a nice little area to explore! Already planning a run around that path. 🏃🏻‍♂️

Creathir

I’m honestly very excited about the Riviera.

It’s location is fantastic, and rooftop restaurant is exciting, and the room options look like they are geared perfectly for families of various sizes.

I’m sure it will look great. Sure it’s not Wilderness Lodge, but what is? It reminds me very much of Aulani, which yes, is just a giant tower, but still is a beautiful property nonetheless.

This will be the same.

Sir_Cliff

I am with you on this. With the Deluxe resorts such as Wilderness Lodge I think it is a bit of a wash as the resorts are pretty compact anyway, but I'd much prefer a tower to the sprawling moderates. For this reason, I am warming to the tower at Coronado Springs. Not sure why they went with Spanish (Catalan?) instead of Southwest/Mexican theming, but if I were staying there again I would probably try to get a room in the tower as I like that more than the motel-style experience of the external corridors, etc.

For me, though, this one is just super bland. Based on the most recent announced resort that also lacks any identifiable theming beyond trees, it seems that for the time being Disney is stepping away from themed resorts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am warming to the tower at Coronado Springs. Not sure why they went with Spanish (Catalan?) instead of Southwest/Mexican theming,

Interesting point. The Coronado Tower is a different (but related) architectural theme. Riviera is different from CBR. The Cove is different from the Swolphin. Reflections will be different from Wilderness. The last tower to match its nearby theming would be Bay Tower (which, absent the A-frame, isn't that match-y).

If AKL gets a tower, don't be surprised if it's Asian-themed.

DonaldDoleWhip

If AKL gets a tower, don't be surprised if it's Asian-themed.
I like where you're head's at! Alternatively, maybe they can go ahead and finally build that California Coast-inspired DVC adjacent to AKL. After all, parts of the California Coast share a similar climate with Southern Africa's Western Cape, and there are a few African-inspired restaurants in California, so it would be a natural fit. Walt Disney even visited the California Coast!

To make the process more efficient, perhaps they could design the building after this one: it's compact, includes balconies, and is completely authentic to San Francisco. Imagine this structure towering over AKL; one day we could only be so lucky... :inlove:

1333-gough-street-san-francisco-ca-primary-photo.jpg

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Yes, it’s theme pales in comparison to Wilderness Lodge. 100% agreed. IMHO that’s also true of every other Disney resort except maybe AKL and Grand CA.
The original GF is in there too. And Port Orleans. And the Yacht and Beach before their creeping de-theming. And all three of the top-tier hotels in Tokyo.

But that’s a high bar that the Riviera misses by a lot. I’d argue the list of Disney resorts that are more clearly, boldly, and satisfyingly themed then the Riviera includes Riverside, Coronado pre-tower, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Polynesian, as well as Paris’ Disneyland Hotel and Newport Bay club.

Basically, if the Riviera didn’t tell you in writing it was themed, it would be hard to figure it out. Even Disney’s more lackluster resorts convey a clear sense of place in a way the Riviera does not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom