Who the HECK is Hondo?!?!?!

SSG

Definitely, I agree that using an IP doesn't necessarily impact the enjoyment of an attraction. I'm just saying that I personally feel the days of ToT, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates are unfortunately over. I'd argue that the examples I just provided use story elements without heavily relying on an IP (for ToT, Splash - they're based on an IP but the IP only compliments their stories, i'd argue it doesn't dictate them). You have to know GotG to enjoy M:B's story, you have to know Incredibles to understand what Incredicoaster even is.

idk am I making sense? I don't doubt Smuggler's Run and Battle Escape will be peak Disney imagineering. But it sounds to me that SWGE relies heavily on the public's knowledge of Star Wars to be a full experience (and i'll give it a pass, seeing SW movies have been around since the 70's). You don't need to know Songs of the South to understand Splash, or Indiana Jones to understanding Indiana Jones Adventure. Just my two cents.
I get where you're going with this, and agree how the IPs now drive the story too much, but I still don't think much knowledge about the universe the attraction lives in is needed. In MB the Collector has the GotG in cages and you get hurled around the building when Rocket starts his escape plan. Incredicoaster makes no bones about being just a coaster themed to the Incredibles. And when you go through the queues, video and signage fills you in on who these people and what is going on. A guest who never heard of Peter Quill will get enough info to work with.

VJ

hondo made asthma in tomorrowland

TROR

I get where you're going with this, and agree how the IPs now drive the story too much, but I still don't think much knowledge about the universe the attraction lives in is needed. In MB the Collector has the GotG in cages and you get hurled around the building when Rocket starts his escape plan. Incredicoaster makes no bones about being just a coaster themed to the Incredibles. And when you go through the queues, video and signage fills you in on who these people and what is going on. A guest who never heard of Peter Quill will get enough info to work with.
The attraction makes zero effort to make us like the Guardians of the Galaxy, however. If you haven't seen the movie there's no reason to care about the character just based on the attraction alone. That's not the case with Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones Adventure.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let's be honest, in most of the IP attractions the character is superfluous.

Indy, Splash, GotG, etc. If they replaced any of the characters with other characters it would be the same story.

The same with SW:GE.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Let's be honest, in most of the IP attractions the character is superfluous.

Indy, Splash, GotG, etc. If they replaced any of the characters with other characters it would be the same story.

The same with SW:GE.

I'd personally say that GotG makes Mission Breakout, whereas Twilight Zone didn't necessarily make ToT. ToT was about 5 people stepping through the door of an elevator and into a nightmare. Mission Breakout is a Collector character captures the Guardians of the Galaxy. Without GotG, we'd have no idea what was going on. Take it from someone who doesn't know a thing about GotG :p

Incredibles make Incredicoaster, Indiana Jones isn't needed to make the story for "Temple of the Forbidden Eye". Even my favorite DCA attraction, Radiator Springs Racers, needs prior knowledge of the movie "Cars" to work; Splash Mountain doesn't need Songs of the South.

Hope that makes a decent argument.

George Lucas on a Bench

In my experience, the movie Cars is irrelevant when it comes to the ride. There's absolutely no storyline, you're just passing by settings and cars in a car. In GOTG, you're obviously in some sort of sci-fi setting, but I couldn't tell you what is happening. There is a story there and they use the same setup as TOT to suddenly dump a bunch of exposition on you. The trouble was, I couldn't hear the speech over all the APs gabbing. Like the internet, the preshow is not something that you just dump something on, it's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. If you miss the GOTG preshow and possibly because you're completely unfamiliar with the source material, it's like you've suddenly gone down the wrong tube and have absolutely no idea where you are.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd personally say that GotG makes Mission Breakout, whereas Twilight Zone didn't necessarily make ToT. ToT was about 5 people stepping through the door of an elevator and into a nightmare. Mission Breakout is a Collector character captures the Guardians of the Galaxy. Without GotG, we'd have no idea what was going on. Take it from someone who doesn't know a thing about GotG :p

Incredibles make Incredicoaster, Indiana Jones isn't needed to make the story for "Temple of the Forbidden Eye". Even my favorite DCA attraction, Radiator Springs Racers, needs prior knowledge of the movie "Cars" to work; Splash Mountain doesn't need Songs of the South.

Hope that makes a decent argument.

I'm agree in some respects. Although I would say you could drop any Marvel character in as the Collector's captives and still get the same story. The fact its the Guardians just makes it more relevant based on the movies.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I'm agree in some respects. Although I would say you could drop any Marvel character in as the Collector's captives and still get the same story. The fact its the Guardians just makes it more relevant based on the movies.

Yessir, I agree. somehow this story works with Guardians, so that's what we got. Respectfully my point is that no matter what marvel characters they put in there, I still won't understand it as a standalone attraction. The sci-fi theming is too wild. I didn't understand Twilight Zone when I first rode that but ToT still worked based on it's solid story. There is no solid story here, and imagineers think because we're familiar with their namesake program, they can skip any good story creation from beginning to end.

As another example, Expedition Everest takes its time beautifully to spark interest and share a story.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yessir, I agree. somehow this story works with Guardians, so that's what we got. Respectfully my point is that no matter what marvel characters they put in there, I still won't understand it as a standalone attraction. The sci-fi theming is too wild. I didn't understand Twilight Zone when I first rode that but ToT still worked based on it's solid story. There is no solid story here, and imagineers think because we're familiar with their namesake program, they can skip any good story creation from beginning to end.

As another example, Expedition Everest takes its time beautifully to spark interest and share a story.

Eh, I don't see it the same way. In my opinion, take away the Marvel characters and the story still works. The fact that the characters are recognizable just adds a layer of immersion that is currently at the center of the theme park industry.

MLevell

It's interesting that whenever the talk of "It's horrible that you need to know the IP to understand the ride story" comes up how rarely I hear people mention the classic Fantasyland ride-through-the-movie dark rides. On my visit to Disneyland last week I rode Snow White, Pinocchio, and Mr. Toad which are all based on films I haven't seen in well over 20 years and I won't lie they often felt like collections of pretty random 'scenes' where I didn't really know what was going on, but I still enjoyed them. I agree that in both choosing and implementing IP it is important to think about riders with no familiarity but this isn't exactly a new problem.

zooey

I think a good example of IP vs non-IP would be alien encounter. That ride worked really hard to introduce you to the world, the premise, the characters and the scenario. Too hard, really. Stitch goes in the ride and they basically have to explain the premise and scenario and not much else. IP gives the ride a certain amount of shorthand to get to the point for most people.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I think a good example of IP vs non-IP would be alien encounter. That ride worked really hard to introduce you to the world, the premise, the characters and the scenario. Too hard, really. Stitch goes in the ride and they basically have to explain the premise and scenario and not much else. IP gives the ride a certain amount of shorthand to get to the point for most people.

Personally I view that as Disney minimizing risk by adding familiarity to something instead of taking their time to create and share a story.

It pays off when they do something well, but cheap implementation is hurting their reputation in my eyes.

I wish I got a chance to experience alien encounter. I keep hearing about how scary it is lol.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's interesting that whenever the talk of "It's horrible that you need to know the IP to understand the ride story" comes up how rarely I hear people mention the classic Fantasyland ride-through-the-movie dark rides. On my visit to Disneyland last week I rode Snow White, Pinocchio, and Mr. Toad which are all based on films I haven't seen in well over 20 years and I won't lie they often felt like collections of pretty random 'scenes' where I didn't really know what was going on, but I still enjoyed them. I agree that in both choosing and implementing IP it is important to think about riders with no familiarity but this isn't exactly a new problem.

I'm getting too old and fat to really care about any of this stuff, although I certainly would never say anything negative about the Fantasy Land spook house rides.

Darkbeer1

While one may not need to know much about Hondo, the attraction has the same potential problem as the entire land, being popularly associated with specific characters who have been deliberately excluded. People know the Millennium Falcon as Han Solo’s spaceship.

Do we have Hondo so Disney doesn't have to pay rights to actors in the series?

Similar to how Disney ended up using nylon stockings to mute the details on Indiana Jones's face to not be sued by Harrison Ford?

lazyboy97o

Similar to how Disney ended up using nylon stockings to mute the details on Indiana Jones's face to not be sued by Harrison Ford?
The land is very specifically set during the sequel trilogy. I wouldn’t be surprised if the park eventually decides differently.

smile

far less trouble than owning humans, i'd imagine...
also, if you've not noticed by now, iger only spends money promoting the iger era, of which this ever-so-small bit is part.

VJ

Galaxy's Edge is set canonically after The Last Jedi in the timeline. Han Solo can't appear because he died.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom