PERMITS

Old Mouseketeer

Going over the Planning Commission Agenda for February 20th, and noticed another 7-11 proposed on Katella, just east of the I-5 on Lewis Street, next to the Fritz Strip Club.

So, fellow old one--do you remember back in the '60s when Fritz's was a nightclub or restaurant with live entertainment called El Fortin Bandido? It was a favorite of my parents. I think I got to go one time before it closed.

NobodyElse

So, fellow old one--do you remember back in the '60s when Fritz's was a nightclub or restaurant with live entertainment called El Fortin Bandido? It was a favorite of my parents. I think I got to go one time before it closed.

Link to postcard.

I never went there, but I went to the subsequent place (that had another whimsical name I can't recall). They had a large scale and the kid's meals price was based on the child's weight.

Old Mouseketeer

Link to postcard.
View attachment 350531

I never went there, but I went to the subsequent place (that had another whimsical name I can't recall). They had a large scale and the kid's meals price was based on the child's weight.

OMG!!! I never thought to look for this. I've discovered some wonderful postcard images online and have even purchased a couple. My nephew has a popular Googie architecture site and there are many postcard images.

Thank you! That's really wonderful.

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2019-00630 Disneyland Parking Lot - KCML SP3 - New Commerical Construction: Four separate prefabricated toll boths 85 sq.ft each total 340 sq.ft on pour and place pads. Reconfigure Katella and Haster entryways, new security chain link fence 7' high 1,200 ln.ft with motorized rolling gates, restripe existing parking lot. Install 100 electrical EV charges. (3) light poles.

VJ

Does anyone know if all 7-11s have those frozen, various flavored, milk shakes that the mixing machine makes for you while you stand there? We found them in Hawaii and wondered. We haven’t been brave enough to go into 7-11 locally and check though.
slurpee machines? i think so

Darkbeer1

Here is the one I used in North Carolina. F'Real

Old Mouseketeer

BLD2019-00630 Disneyland Parking Lot - KCML SP3 - New Commerical Construction: Four separate prefabricated toll boths 85 sq.ft each total 340 sq.ft on pour and place pads. Reconfigure Katella and Haster entryways, new security chain link fence 7' high 1,200 ln.ft with motorized rolling gates, restripe existing parking lot. Install 100 electrical EV charges. (3) light poles.

Disney is so freaking stupid! They could have built a structure on the Harbor CM lot at Harbor and Ball. This would have allowed them to move more CM parking from Katella lot and Pumbaa (the biggest part of the Eastern Gateway project).

Sometimes I wonder if there are any grownups at TDA.

Darkbeer1

Disney is so freaking stupid! They could have built a structure on the Harbor CM lot at Harbor and Ball. This would have allowed them to move more CM parking from Katella lot and Pumbaa (the biggest part of the Eastern Gateway project).

Sometimes I wonder if there are any grownups at TDA.

Well, it sounds like they are preparing for more of the Katella CM Lot to be used as Toy Story Guest Parking, and the Clementine entrance to be used for the ART buses to Toy Story, and shifting the CM entrance to Haster, at least on some days....

It shows what happens when a City Council fires the entire Planning Commission 3 years ago, and replaced people with knowledge with folks with an agenda to shoot down the Eastern Gateway, one the City Staff wanted approved, but was roadblocked by a political decision.

SSG

Original Poster
Back stage work

BLD2019-00658 DCA - BOH - DLR Flex Office / Bldg 908 - Tenant Improvement: 120 sq.ft to construct non load partion wall to create new office space with electrical.

BLD2019-00659 Disney - BOH North Service Area / Show Overhaul Bldg - Miscellaneous: Voluntary Seismic Upgrade.

Ismael Flores

I'm really surprised they havent decided to rebuild some of the leftover buildings backstage and replace them with multi story structures to accommodate office in the second floors while using he first floors for backstage facility.
I really think they should move TDA off property or at least those that don't need direct access to park and then use that area for parade storage buildings and entertainment facilities. makes more sense to have the cubicle people that don't need access to the park off stage instead of moving facilities that should be backstage. The same should be for DCA and those green buildings taking up park space, unless of course they really need to be there with access to the parks 24/7.

Curious Constance

Here is the one I used in North Carolina. F'Real

This is the brand! I went to their website and they are in a few stores in our area. :)

Old Mouseketeer

I'm really surprised they havent decided to rebuild some of the leftover buildings backstage and replace them with multi story structures to accommodate office in the second floors while using he first floors for backstage facility.
I really think they should move TDA off property or at least those that don't need direct access to park and then use that area for parade storage buildings and entertainment facilities. makes more sense to have the cubicle people that don't need access to the park off stage instead of moving facilities that should be backstage. The same should be for DCA and those green buildings taking up park space, unless of course they really need to be there with access to the parks 24/7.

I don't think so. It's more likely that they will do as you say and move departments that don't need direct physical access to the park offsite and move other departments in. But I don't think they will actually demolish any part of the TDA building. I could, however, see them using parts of the ground floor for more utilitarian purposes, such as moving the Eat Ticket inside, or some other non-industrial functions.

As for DCA, there's not much they can cut down, according to people I know who work at the resort. Those functions have to go somewhere on-site. It will be interesting to see what goes in the new building that just broke ground behind Luigi's. I would assume it will replace the "Neighborhood" trailers on the SE corner of the property.

Old Mouseketeer

Well, it sounds like they are preparing for more of the Katella CM Lot to be used as Toy Story Guest Parking, and the Clementine entrance to be used for the ART buses to Toy Story, and shifting the CM entrance to Haster, at least on some days....

It shows what happens when a City Council fires the entire Planning Commission 3 years ago, and replaced people with knowledge with folks with an agenda to shoot down the Eastern Gateway, one the City Staff wanted approved, but was roadblocked by a political decision.

OK. This is something new to me. I was under the impression that Disney's decision to fast-track the Cleo structure and put the EGW on hold was the threat of lawsuits from the Harbor Bl businesses. If there was opposition from the Planning Commission that would derail the project, I seem to have missed it. Was this a "thing", or is this your political bias. Once again I'm conflicted by my respect for your knowledge and expertise (and your significant contributions to this site) and my frustration with your proclivity to inject your partisan agenda.

Darkbeer1

Yes, all Seven Members were replaced as part of the Tait/Moreno majority taking control in early 2017, right when TDA was getting ready to present the proposal to the commission. (And that was very stupid of TDA to delay the presentation, something that was done 98% over a year earlier). And the change of the commission delayed the hearing even longer.

A friend wrote this...

>Let’s see how Councilman Moreno’s approach has worked for the citizens of District 3 so far. Before the 2016 Board and Commission Purge 3 members of the Anaheim Planning Commission lived in District 3. Two of those 3 had between them 40+ years of community service and involvement in planning, zoning, development, and other neighborhood related groups, projects and issues. All were removed and Councilman Moreno’s appointee for District 3…..Steve White. Although I know he grew up in the area I cannot name one significant District 3 community effort, project, or group he has been involved with at least in the 33 years I’ve lived there. What has his major contribution been? Apparently co-founding the group Anaheim HOME, a group that shares and reflects Moreno’s own Anti-Disney/Anti-Resort agenda. And of course Anaheim Home is the group who’s probably best known for their representative who, at every council meeting, speaks out against their target de jour and includes his signature misogynistic and homophobic name calling, including “, , ” and the real show stopper—“evil Jew ” targeted at city council members. Yeah, it’s all about “by district representation”. Right.<<

Yes, Mr. White is that out of the norm. Just to make it clear, the "representative" of Anaheim HOME mentioned is not Mr. White. And the nasty things he says include the above, but some much worse things.

Here is an OC Register article.

>Over the years, Disney had spent more than $100 million acquiring nearby properties to prepare for the Eastern Gateway.

But as Disney announced the project, they failed to garner local support. Almost immediately, some neighboring businesses along Harbor Boulevard pushed back. A new City Council came in, with a different agenda, and then the council later dismantled and then reassembled the city’s planning commission.<<

>Since the new Anaheim City Council took over in December, the city has undergone several major changes. The city attorney and city manager were let go. The city’s planning commission was dismantled in February and later reappointed in May.

Disney needed the planning commission to approve its site plan and a conditional use permit that covers the bridge over Harbor Boulevard, the transit hub, the security screening area, pedestrian walkway, and the new signage and landscape in the area. The commission also needs to look at variances of bridge height and its setback on the sidewalk.

Disney then needed approvals for two permits from the City Council – one for new signage near the exit ramp off Disney Way and the bridge.

A Disneyland spokesman said since December, they re-evaluated the Eastern Gateway project and decided to move on with developments on the west side of the Disneyland Resort.<<

So basically the Tait/Moreno majority could use the complaints from a couple of restaurants to stall the project, and even if it got out of the Planning Commission, an appeal would have gone to the city council, where Disney was sure it would fail, unless they gave into all of Dr. Moreno's demands.

So the Western Project was quickly drawn up, since all the land was included in the designated Disneyland Resort Master Plan, which allows Disney to do basically whatever it wants, and bypassed the Planning Commission/City Council approval.

Now, the city is about to go through new appointments to all the boards in March. (Some discussion was held at last night's council.)

Once a more friendly Planning Commission is in place, and ready to accept new submissions, Disney will be submitting a new Eastern Gateway Proposal, yes with access modifications and a better looking bridge. But the basic plan is the same, Parking Structure (already approved in the 1990's, and freeway infrastructure was built back then to prepare of the Pumbaa Structure), Security Check, and Transportation Plaza. And as soon as the Eastern Gateway is finished, the former Transportation Plaza will be used for DCA Super Hero Land expansion.

Now, Disney does want to address as many of the complaints as possible, but as for the IHOP and Denny's, well, looks like they won't get everything they want.

Darkbeer1

Had a thought.

When the Eastern Gateway gets approved, and it might take two hearings.

Disney can start with the Bridge, Security Check area and new Transportation Plaza, plus needed walkways as Phase 1, this will allow the old Plaza to be made available for expansion.

And then, when the USCIS Immigration Center is closed, you can then build the new Parking Structure. The need for more parking can wait until the DCA Expansion opens. (Sorry CM's that will be taking long shuttle bus rides).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom