News Disney After Hours Events expands to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do actually. I’m also not saying that there won’t be event nights that are very low in attendance. I’m just saying the first evening was kept very low.

I have experienced magic kingdom after hours on sold out nights while very manageable waits did occur for the popular attractions. Thankfully Most of the time they don’t reach those levels.

In case you missed it, the Other Site We're Not Allowed To Name (the 'easy' one) screen capped your post to make the point that the second DAKAH was equally empty as the first.

😄

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
DHSAF by the DIS. Craig says it's comped and thus they're not doing a review, but more of a showcase. They do reviews when they pay for it themselves.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Did this event at DHS on Dec 22. It worked as advertised. We (my family for 4) got in right at 7 pm (park closing was 8, with official event start 8:30). We had time to use a Star Tours FP that we reserved as we drove to the park, and and see the final Frozen show of the night, then watched Disney Movie Memories and Jingle Bell Jingle Bam with the regular parkgoers. Between 8:45 and 11:30, we rode SDD 4 times, TSMM twice, once, RnRC twice, ToT once, grabbed 10 bottled drinks, 9 ice cream snacks, and 3 boxes of popcorn, did the Buzz meet and greet, watched the projections on ToT, and enjoyed the atmosphere.

We enjoyed it. This was a trip we decided to make very late, and by the time we did so, it was clear seeing TSL would require insane standby lines or very early mornings, neither of which my family tolerates well. So when I saw this event was happening, we bought one less day of regular park tix and sprang for this. It fit perfectly for our schedule and we are glad we did it, but even with the perfect set of circumstances, I’m still not sure I can say it was “worth” the money.

Missing20K

Still don't know what you're saying. Are you saying there was something untoward about this self-revelatory comped vlog?
Mostly it was a joke. But I was attempting to point out that it's very difficult to opine credibly about a subject, when the subject has paid for exposure, even if not for that particular "review".

It's the same reason I wouldn't trust the opinions of a movie or food critic, if even occasionally they accepted free tickets or meals.

Again, though, mostly just a joke to point out the above. Everyone can rightly come to their own judgment about The Dis folks.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Mostly it was a joke. But I was attempting to point out that it's very difficult to opine credibly about a subject, when the subject has paid for exposure, even if not for that particular "review".

It's the same reason I wouldn't trust the opinions of a movie or food critic, if even occasionally they accepted free tickets or meals.

Again, though, mostly just a joke to point out the above. Everyone can rightly come to their own judgment about The Dis folks.

But their not opining. They said very specifically in the video they won't be opining because they're comped.

And then they do opine, they make it clear whether they were comped or paid for their own way. And about 80% of the time they do a review, it's paying their own way.

I don't see the need to throw shade on a group of people following standard journalistic norms simply because there are some others that don't.

Missing20K

But their not opining. They said very specifically in the video they won't be opining because they're comped.

And then they do opine, they make it clear whether they were comped or paid for their own way. And about 80% of the time they do a review, it's paying their own way.

I don't see the need to throw shade on a group of people following standard journalistic norms simply because there are some others that don't.
So I guess only 20% of their reviews have any sort of conflict of interest. ;)

But again, it was just a joke. Maybe a poor one, yes, but I meant no harm.
giphy.gif

Wendy Pleakley

Many reviewers receive the product being reviewed for free. Probably most, even.

A good review will describe a product in such a way that the viewer or reader gets a good idea if it's something they would enjoy.

At the end of the day, I don't care if a reviewer rates an event like After Hours as 10/10 or 1/10. I want to know how much it costs, what I get for my money, how many attractions can one go one in that time, what are the wait times like, how easy is it to get the free food, etc.

If they can provide that info I can decide if it's a good fit for me or not. Whether they paid or were comped shouldn't really matter.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Many reviewers receive the product being reviewed for free. Probably most, even.

A good review will describe a product in such a way that the viewer or reader gets a good idea if it's something they would enjoy.

At the end of the day, I don't care if a reviewer rates an event like After Hours as 10/10 or 1/10. I want to know how much it costs, what I get for my money, how many attractions can one go one in that time, what are the wait times like, how easy is it to get the free food, etc.

If they can provide that info I can decide if it's a good fit for me or not. Whether they paid or were comped shouldn't really matter.
Exactly what I tend to look for, which is what I focused on in my very short report on the last page, although I summarized maybe more than I should have. Wait times for , RnRC, ST, TSMM and ToT were essentially non-existent. Skip the preshow and maybe wait a minute or two to load. For SDD, waited 20 minutes once, and 5-10 each other ride. Meet n Greet with Woody and Jesse had maybe a 15 minute line. Buzz 5-10. Christmas projections on ToT stayed on through the event, which was nice. Lines for inlcuded snacks (popcorn, Mickey Bars, Mickey Ice Cream sandwiches, frozen strawberry bars, bottled Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and Dasani) sometimes looked kinda long, but moved so fast that they never took more than 3 minutes. And no cast member complained when we asked for four pops and put them, unopened, right into our backpack.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And no cast member complained when we asked for four pops and put them, unopened, right into our backpack.

My experience, and I've seen others report on this, is that the CMs are eager to empty their carts like a donut shop just before it closes: "Here, take as much as you can carry!!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom