danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Where exactly is the WDW property border
out that way?

Extends all the way out to 545.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well I guess at least they are following through on what they said they were gonna do about 10 years ago...

Don’t see the point of these though as they are pricing specifically to eliminate the off property customers...but ok

TrainsOfDisney

I like Hampton Inns. Considering the close proximity, I will be interested in seeing the pricing compared to the on property Motel 6...I mean value resorts.

I just stayed at the townplace suites and loved it! It was like $92 a night vs. $75 plus $13 parking at all stars (pass holder rate). For that $4 extra a night we got a decent free breakfast, free coffee in the morning and a much nicer room than all stars.

I do prefer Hilton brands just because I have lots of points with them and the American Express card. I like the Hilton garden inn and Hampton near Disney springs but they were both priced over $100 for the same dates and they are a more congested drive to the parks.

A brand new Hampton inn at that location will be quite welcome!

JohnD

I just stayed at the townplace suites and loved it! It was like $92 a night vs. $75 plus $13 parking at all stars (pass holder rate). For that $4 extra a night we got a decent free breakfast, free coffee in the morning and a much nicer room than all stars.

I do prefer Hilton brands just because I have lots of points with them and the American Express card. I like the Hilton garden inn and Hampton near Disney springs but they were both priced over $100 for the same dates and they are a more congested drive to the parks.

Because fhey’re on WDW property they show up on the app’s map.

MrPromey

Well I guess at least they are following through on what they said they were gonna do about 10 years ago...

Don’t see the point of these though as they are pricing specifically to eliminate the off property customers...but ok

Among other things, this seems like a good option for Disney when it comes to the cheerleader and other youth oriented sporting events. Bring in more of that crowd that can't all necessarily afford the Disney options and also move some of that loosely supervised group away from Disney branded properties to be someone else's problem while still keeping them in the fold as landlords of the hotels.

At the end of the day, I think Disney is happy to take anyone's money, though. They may not want to associate their brand with the people that can't stay on property but if they can profit from rent, admission and merchandise at their rack-rates, I'm sure they want to.

The area is too built up with off property hotels for there ever not to be a decent percentage of off-site guests so they might as well try getting a piece of all that action, too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Among other things, this seems like a good option for Disney when it comes to the cheerleader and other youth oriented sporting events. Bring in more of that crowd that can't all necessarily afford the Disney options and also move some of that loosely supervised group away from Disney branded properties to be someone else's problem while still keeping them in the fold as landlords of the hotels.

At the end of the day, I think Disney is happy to take anyone's money, though. They may not want to associate their brand with the people that can't stay on property but if they can profit from rent, admission and merchandise at their rack-rates, I'm sure they want to.

The area is too built up with off property hotels for there ever not to be a decent percentage of off-site guests so they might as well try getting a piece of all that action, too.

No argument...but their food and ticket policies - along with the upsells - seem specifically to drive out those that don’t want to pay $400 a night minimum or buy a $32,000 timeshare.

I also think the Allstars are done...it’s only a matter of time. I can see a skyway line and then they become $300 a night...as pop soon will be

jaklgreen

Did you have to rent a car that you would not have had to if you stayed on property? I have done cost analysis before for my trips and it always came out cheaper for me to stay at a value then off site because of the need for a rental car. I think some people forget to factor that in.

TrainsOfDisney

Fot what it’s worth I didn’t see any cheerleaders st the Marriott on my recent stay. They were all over the parks. So they must be staying elsewhere... like all stars ha

TrainsOfDisney

Did you have to rent a car that you would not have had to if you stayed on property? I have done cost analysis before for my trips and it always came out cheaper for me to stay at a value then off site because of the need for a rental car. I think some people forget to factor that in.

No. The opposite. We drove down from Tennessee on this trip so we would have had to pay parking at all stars vs. no parking at the Marriott.

When I fly it’s a totally different set of math without parking fees and adding Disney magical express vs. an Uber.

Flynnwriter

Flamingo Crossing amounts to the antisythis of creativity, Disney and why people choose Disney World. It’s depressing, homoginious and aims low.

TrainsOfDisney

Compared to what? The hotels by Disney springs? all star movies?

I’d much rather stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge but that’s a very different price point.

MrPromey

No argument...but their food and ticket policies - along with the upsells - seem specifically to drive out those that don’t want to pay $400 a night minimum or buy a $32,000 timeshare.

I also think the Allstars are done...it’s only a matter of time. I can see a skyway line and then they become $300 a night...as pop soon will be

I agree with you, too but I don't necessarily know that they're ready to drive away the people who are willing to come in at the base price and have bad(ish) experiences, relative to others or what a day-of ticket to a park gave people experience-wise.

The Allstars... are interesting. on-property amenties are the only thing even remotely coming close to justifying the prices these things are, today. Even with a major renovation, I'm not sure they could upgrade those rooms that are small by $40-a-night motel standards to justify that kind of pricing.

Seems lmore likely that they would start tying in reservations more directly to the same sporting events they are probably happy with the Flamingo Crossing hotels supporting for people still willing/able to spend more than the flamingo crossing hotels are charging. It wouldn't be difficult for them to make reservations difficult (or flat out removed) for general guests except for when there is a need for overflow due to capacity at other resorts.

I guess we'll see but due to their location and the original construction, it's hard for me to see them investing enough in these to make them more than their bottom-tier properties. 🤷

JoeCamel

I agree with you, too but I don't necessarily know that they're ready to drive away the people who are willing to come in at the base price and have bad(ish) experiences, relative to others or what a day-of ticket to a park gave people experience-wise.

The Allstars... are interesting. on-property amenties are the only thing even remotely coming close to justifying the prices these things are, today. Even with a major renovation, I'm not sure they could upgrade those rooms that are small by $40-a-night motel standards to justify that kind of pricing.

Seems lmore likely that they would start tying in reservations more directly to the same sporting events they are probably happy with the Flamingo Crossing hotels supporting for people still willing/able to spend more than the flamingo crossing hotels are charging. It wouldn't be difficult for them to make reservations difficult (or flat out removed) for general guests except for when there is a need for overflow due to capacity at other resorts.

I guess we'll see but due to their location and the original construction, it's hard for me to see them investing enough in these to make them more than their bottom-tier properties. 🤷
I'm not sure you can find $40 a night anywhere unless you want a bunch of drug addicts as your motel mates. What I am seeing in this market is $80 + for 2 stars.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have stayed in Flamingo Crossing twice in the past year along with Wilderness Lodge, Riverside, POP, Swan, French Quarter and Bonnet Creek in under a year as I’ve had other things going in the greater Orlando area.

We all want different things from a resort. Flamingo has a lot of small convention business guests. The hotel is clean and housekeeping has its act together better than any Disney owned resort I’ve stayed in during the last year. You can even schedule a specific time. It is nice to go grab a cup of coffee in under 5 minutes and get ready for the parks. Large bay of working elevators unlike Wilderness. There is not lines for their Free hot breakfast which is similar to a bounty breakfast but also have Mickey Waffles, fresh fruit, hot cold cereal, meats cheese, pastries, toppings for scrambled eggs, fresh orange juice, bagels, English muffins, and sliced breads and yogurts. All you care to eat.

In April my floor had concert choir students. I was there a month ago and we had field hockey students. The hotel holds these groups to a much higher standard of decorum than Disney and also has an overnight security guard to back it up. Both in rooms and during morning dining never a issue with the students. I can’t say the same on Disney property multiple times.

In April I had a car rental. No resort fees for hotel or parking. I ended my month long trip at Pop for 3 days and returned car prior. I was in a renovated POP Room only open for a few weeks. I rarely stay at a value at Disney and Flamingo is dramatically cheaper as was Bonnet Creek and both Worlds above in room quality to Pop and both substantially cleaner in room and dining areas. In September at POR housekeeping skipped our room cleaning one night which we discovered after closing a late night at MK.

We frequent Disney and went 25 years only staying onsite. We’ve mixed it up the last 18months for mostly our shorter trips and have been pleasantly surprised with the resorts that are technically on property of WDW; not having to leave the bubble but have upscale rooms and facilities.

Of all the resorts I stayed at Bonnet Creek won and we stayed there for significantly less than we could have booked any Disney value resort. Uber has made this possible. For $6-10 each way Uber is substantially quicker and gets us closer to security than the buses. At MK dropped at Contemporary or Poly Uber.

My suggestion is to try some of these resorts. With an open mind you might occasionally like us choose to stay in non Disney owned resort. This last trip to Swan was lovely. Upcoming so far will be Bonnet Creek Wyndham and BLT. Think we will keep mixing it up for a while.

MrPromey

I'm not sure you can find $40 a night anywhere unless you want a bunch of drug addicts as your motel mates. What I am seeing in this market is $80 + for 2 stars.

Okay, $45 on priceline (that's 3 stars)

... and full disclosure, living in FL, I've stayed in places like this in the past when it was just me and it was just about a room to sleep in for 8 hours and knowing the area well enough, I knew what I was getting into (no drug addicts but no working remote for the TV, either). I understand it's a whole different ballgame as a couple, with a family, or not knowing the lay of the land pretty well, to begin with.

My point is, I've stayed in really nice places in the area and places that aren't so nice but the smallest room I've ever stayed in was at the Allstars. Those always felt to me like they were intentionally making them less desirable so there was no risk in people who could afford a moderate considering them and since they were Disney's first "budget" resorts, it kind of made sense that they'd want to be careful, there.

Unless they IKEA the... heck... out of them and try to position them as urban-cool compact, I don't think there's any way they can charge anything close to moderate resort prices... well, unless they really ratchet up moderate pricing (which could be where people start to look elsewhere for quality rooms) or start knocking down walls to combine rooms.

I've never stayed at Pop Century or Art of Animation but my understanding is, those rooms have more square footage. Maybe someone can say for sure?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom