Trip Report COMPLETED: So why is it you’re cruising so much now: A NYE TR that doesn’t contain cruising. Now with Tuna/Egg talk!

No real back story here or PTR to reference. We’ve been to the bubble many times. We’ve gone during Spring Break, Christmas, 4th of July, and even Memorial day. We realized we’ve never done NYE so we figured we’d give it a go. I mean, surely everyone will go home on New Year’s day leaving an enjoyable park experience with lite crowds the rest of the week, right?

2qyxyl.jpg

So if you don’t know us by now I guess that rock you were under didn’t have any internet or you just have a strong distaste for sarcasm, poor grammar, and pictures of decent food. This trip included the DD and would be the first trip we drove to in over a year, getting back to our roots and all.

The beginning of the end:
We had a plan of leaving the cold and wet North Georgia Mountains by 04:30 on NYE morning. I’m proud to say my ladies stepped up and were AIS by the deadline. Now, I have a standard 1-stop itinerary for our road trips to the bubble and can make it there in less than 7 hours provided we stick to the itinerary. My copilots decided we needed more stops. All this to say we made the Orlando area in about 7 hours 10 minutes. Now typically we hit 429 and take Western Way into the bubble to avoid the I-4 madness. This trip, however, the DW decided she wanted to hit the Disney outlet so I-4 here we come!

We have never been to this outlet but on the way down the DW read about parking horror stories but I was insistent we do it so she could check out the outlet. All I can say is DAYUM! Whomever designed the layout of that outlet needs to be taken out back and flogged. It was lunch time on NYE and this place looked like it was running a 75% sale on a Black Friday. I did one pass through the lot and decided to drop the ladies off so they could hit up the store while I looked for parking. Fast-forward 20 minutes and the DD calls saying they are ready to go and I still have yet to find parking. I’ll let the DD describe the inside of the outlet since I only got to see the parking lot.

After the outlet we hit up Publix to get our Entenmann's donuts, a WDW staple. We were in and out in minutes and on our way to DTD for lunch.

As we approached the parking deck we noticed they changed the flow of traffic coming from the parks to DTD. You now have to drive past the green deck and u-turn back to it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that direct all traffic coming from the parks to the new deck across the street when its complete and start charging for the green deck. We quickly parked and I was pleasantly surprised to see lite crowds at DTD, this gave me hope! DW and I wanted Polite Pig for lunch but the DD loathes BBQ. We walked over to Morimoto CS to grab her some noodles to go. The portion was huge and she enjoyed it. We made our way over to PP, grabbed a table, and enjoyed some food.

DW went with the sausage and Brussels sprouts
IMG_5518.JPG

I went with the pulled pork sandwich
IMG_5519.JPG

We shared Ravenous Pig by Cask & Larder. Untappd Notes: 4/5 A nice lite Belgian that almost wants to be sweet.
IMG_5520.JPG

The food, as usual, was excellent. The ladies must have been hungrier than me, or motivated to shop, as they smashed their lunch and decided to head to Basin to get some bath bombs while I finished my lunch. By the time I finished and met up with them we got the room text!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
That 5 night cruise sounds great! We've looked into that itinerary before but it just didn't work out with my time off. I'll be interested to hear out it is.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
To busy celebrating...? 🆒
Uhhhhh, no. I thought you knew me better. The Sox are where its at for the beisbols, for sure, but when it comes to the gridiron and the ice I'm all black and gold. You can count me in the group that lumps the Pats with the Yankees. That said, I respect the out Brady. Am I jealous that he brought New England 6 rings and Big Ben only provided us with 2, yup. But at the end of the day he is a stand up dude despite all the jealous garbage that is tossed out there about him. Hell, I'm sure I threw a few tomatoes at one time but you just gotta accept it, he is a good QB that came off the bench and made his own path to greatness.

That 5 night cruise sounds great! We've looked into that itinerary before but it just didn't work out with my time off. I'll be interested to hear out it is.
We went back and forth on it since there were also some tempting itineraries out of Galveston and New Orleans and we have another cruise out of Miami in April 2020. The price point on this one, though, was pretty good, by DCL standards, and it would mean our April trip will be Platinum trip #freepalo. It also makes use of a few days of our Christmas break schedule saving us from having to use vacation time. We're still working out the precruise details since we've never done a Miami sailing we're working out the benefits of flying into Miami vs. flying into Fort Lauderdale.

So after our visit with some history we made our way over to Columbia Harbour House for dinner.
IMG_5710.JPG

The DW and I each went with the Lighthouse Sandwich. This was actually very good but something we probably should have shared as it was a large portion.
IMG_5712.JPG

Speaking of large portions, the Lobster Roll the DD got was massive. In both cases the house chips were good as well.
IMG_5711.JPG

We went up stairs to sit and enjoy our dinner. I don't think many realize their is an upstairs as it wasn't a madhouse like it was downstairs. Plus, you get some nice views, like the ridiculously long queue for HM!
IMG_5713.JPG

CHH was pretty good and my only beef with it is they really need a simple fish & chips option here like at the England pavilion. Otherwise, the food options are decent. I'll let the DW go into her "egg" debacle if she would like. Yeah, she was "one of those" guests this evening.

We were coming up on our SDMT FP and made that way via the HM gift shop. They had this cuteness on the shelves.
IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

We breezed through Barnstormer 1.5, the back seat is where its at, BTW.
IMG_5766.JPG

And with that, we had our fill of MK for today. It felt like a 10 out of 10 crowd kinda day and decided to had back to BCV. The DD wanted some ice cream so we obliged her and paid a visit to B&C for a cone. She was happy and decided to head to the room.
IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

The DW and I decided to make our way to EC.

imahistorygeek

The egg debacle at Columbia Harbor House...ugh.

I don’t like eggs. I like them in cookies and cakes, but that is it. I’ve tried to like them. No go. I’m not allergic, I just don’t like them.

I get in line and wanted to try the tuna sandwich. Olivia’s Cafe had this great sandwich and I wanted to give CHH a try. I’ve called out those folks in the past who eat tuna in the open, but I was wrong about that. Some tuna is prepared well and doesn’t smell too bad. So, if you like tuna, enjoy it openly!

Back to the story...I was able to see the tuna from Olivia’s close up and didn’t see any egg. That wasn’t the case at CHH. We get to the register and I ask about the egg. Cashier doesn’t know. I made the terrible mistake of saying ok when she asked if I wanted her to find out. Fast forward at least 10 minutes, a huge line behind us, and probably mad people, and a manager comes out and pulls out the big book of ingredients for food allergies. Egg is in the tuna salad. I kept saying I could eat something else and it wasn’t a big deal, but the CM wasn’t having it. We were waiting on the answer. I did feel bad for holding up the line. 😕

tl;dr - I held up the line in Columbia Harbor House for at least 10 minutes to find out if egg was in the tuna sandwich. I’m not allergic. I just don’t like egg.

The lesson here, for me, is to not order anything that could possibly have egg mixed in at a quick service. I have no dietary restrictions, so it’s no big deal for me to choose something else.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Seriously, I never heard of ever adding eggs mixed in with tuna salad sandwiches?! Why would anyone put eggs with tuna? I'm baffled over this one. 🤔

I have no idea but it’s just awful because the two textures just don’t mix well (in the cafe at work they would use sliced hard boiled eggs). At the time we also had the choice of tuna and lettuce on baguette as well as others, so ones with egg were a last resort choice resort if I had a meeting that went well into the lunch break. All the tuna sandwiches went away when we got a new catering company in but then we had other really weird mixtures to deal with that I almost missed the tuna with egg sandwiches because at least I could just remove the eggs ;)

winstongator

As we approached the parking deck we noticed they changed the flow of traffic coming from the parks to DTD. You now have to drive past the green deck and u-turn back to it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that direct all traffic coming from the parks to the new deck across the street when its complete and start charging for the green deck. We quickly parked and I was pleasantly surprised to see lite crowds at DTD, this gave me hope! DW and I wanted Polite Pig for lunch but the DD loathes BBQ. We walked over to Morimoto CS to grab her some noodles to go. The portion was huge and she enjoyed it. We made our way over to PP, grabbed a table, and enjoyed some food.

DW went with the sausage and Brussels sprouts
View attachment 340539

I went with the pulled pork sandwich
View attachment 340540

We shared Ravenous Pig by Cask & Larder. Untappd Notes: 4/5 A nice lite Belgian that almost wants to be sweet.
View attachment 340541

The food, as usual, was excellent. The ladies must have been hungrier than me, or motivated to shop, as they smashed their lunch and decided to head to Basin to get some bath bombs while I finished my lunch. By the time I finished and met up with them we got the room text!
They need to add a YUM emoji.

RyPat

Uhhhhh, no. I thought you knew me better. The Sox are where its at for the beisbols, for sure, but when it comes to the gridiron and the ice I'm all black and gold. You can count me in the group that lumps the Pats with the Yankees. That said, I respect the **** out Brady. Am I jealous that he brought New England 6 rings and Big Ben only provided us with 2, yup. But at the end of the day he is a stand up dude despite all the jealous garbage that is tossed out there about him. Hell, I'm sure I threw a few tomatoes at one time but you just gotta accept it, he is a good QB that came off the bench and made his own path to greatness.

oh no, i was fully aware of your allegiance... ;)

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
@imahistorygeek I am totally with you on the egg thing. It's good to know that I'm not as weird as my family makes me out to be when it comes to that. I used to freak out about celery in my tuna...I can't imagine how I would've reacted to having eggs in there too! :depressed:

My sister does not like celery in potato salad. So my mom will put a little aside for Christmas dinner before adding it for the rest of the family.

imahistorygeek

My sister does not like celery in potato salad. So my mom will put a little aside for Christmas dinner before adding it for the rest of the family.

Celery belongs in the same category as trash melon (aka honeydew melon). They're all just yuck. Then again, I can't be trusted when it comes to food opinions. I like boiled cabbage, cooked greens, boiled peanuts, and pork rinds.

PacNWTigger

Celery belongs in the same category as trash melon (aka honeydew melon). They're all just yuck. Then again, I can't be trusted when it comes to food opinions. I like boiled cabbage, cooked greens, boiled peanuts, and pork rinds.
You and I should sit down for a meal sometime. I love your sense of taste...except for maybe the boiled peanuts. Since you like boiled cabbage do you like sauerkraut?

Plowboy

I've heard of mayonnaise in tuna sandwich but not eggs. As for mayonnaise, I have one thing to say...Blecchhh! Same thing with raw celery or raw cabbage. Cooked celery or cabbage in soups or other dishes, fine, just not raw.
My German heritage says: sauerkraut yummm!!! This may explain my love of Biergarten. That and the bier.

Last edited:

DisSplash

You had me right up to the pork rinds ... 😝. Had the best boiled peanuts (goober peas?) at the Jaemor Farm Market in GA somewhere near Gainesville, and love greens and boiled cabbage (preferably with a side of corned beef).

I also don’t terribly mind egg with my tuna salad. I don’t go looking for it, but it won’t stop me from eating said premade tuna salad. But I am wondering if they were thinking about the egg in the mayonnaise when they were reading from the ingredients book? In any case, there were plenty of other options to choose from, so I totally get your frustration with them making a production of your simple question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom