World Of Color Refurbishment

SuddenStorm

Never been but seeing how little they care about nighttime entertainment out there, the stupid Pixar crap at DCA, only 2 parks, no Disney Springs, the fact its surrounded by "real world", and the fact it's in California really has turned me off on the notion. Much to chagrin of my friends. I just know I would not enjoy it

That's an interesting position for someone who's spent a decade on the forum- so I assume you're at least somewhat of a Disney fan. You're also posting in the Disneyland side of the forum, so I assume you're open to actually discussing Disneyland vs telling us all why you'd never want to go.

Disneyland's worth the visit for a number of reasons-
  • It's development was completely overseen by Walt Disney- who had nothing to do with the development of Walt Disney World. His "presence" in the park is palpable, and visiting his park is a sort of pilgrimage for Disney fans.
  • It has the original iterations of Pirates and Mansion- Pirates is considered vastly superior to the WDW version by fans.
  • Indiana Jones Adventure
  • Fantasmic! is an extraordinary experience.
  • Much of DCA is pretty "meh", but Cars Land is highly regarded among fans, and is worth seeing.
  • We have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Junior, and Alice in Wonderland
  • Our Space Mountain and Big Thunder have both been rebuilt within the last 15 years, so the ride experience is extraordinarily smooth, and is somewhat unique to Disneyland.
  • Our Small World facade is vastly superior.
  • Our Enchanted Tiki Room is very close to the show Walt designed, more so than what's playing at WDW.
  • The DL Rivers of America are very different than WDW's.
There's about the same number of rides in Disneyland and DCA as the four parks at WDW. The experience in Disneyland is far more compact, which increases the charm and gives the park a unique feel for visitors.

Even the "stupid Pixar crap at DCA" has an excellent shooter dark ride, and a fun roller coaster. Hardly "crap", just not well executed theming.

I should also add that I'm saying this as someone who's never been to Walt Disney World, so my observations are based solely on what I've heard online and from friends.

A buddy of mine (socal resident) did the Disney College Program in Florida- and told me that the place is extremely removed from Walt, but that many of the people who go there but haven't been to Disneyland don't realize it.

Rolly Crump, famed WED designer, had this to say about Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom:

“It had no feeling of Disney,” Crump says of Florida's Magic Kingdom, noting it lacked the personal touch of animators trained in a hand-drawn craft.
“It was a lot of good architectural pieces, but I looked at that and thought to myself, 'What the hell is going on here?' Disneyland has charm. Disneyland freaking hugs you and kisses you.”
He points to the height difference between California’s Sleeping Beauty Castle (77 feet) and Florida’s Cinderella Castle as (189 feet) as an example of the change. “When you go to Disney World and you see the castle, you want to genuflect ... and that disturbed me.”

In regard to your concern about the "Disney bubble", the berm in Disneyland park is surprisingly effective- I can only think of two places inside the park (from ground level) that you can see the outside world- the Disney built parking structure, and a Marriott you can see from the submarine lagoon in Tomorrowland if you know to look for it at night.

iMax

That's an interesting position for someone who's spent a decade on the forum- so I assume you're at least somewhat of a Disney fan. You're also posting in the Disneyland side of the forum, so I assume you're open to actually discussing Disneyland vs telling us all why you'd never want to go.

• It's development was completely overseen by Walt Disney- who had nothing to do with the development of Walt Disney World. His "presence" in the park is palpable, and visiting his park is a sort of pilgrimage for Disney fans.
  • It has the original iterations of Pirates and Mansion- Pirates is considered vastly superior to the WDW version by fans.
  • Much of DCA is pretty "meh", but Cars Land is highly regarded among fans, and is worth seeing.
  • We have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Junior, and Alice in Wonderland
  • Our Space Mountain and Big Thunder have both been rebuilt within the last 15 years, so the ride experience is extraordinarily smooth, and is somewhat unique to Disneyland.
  • Our Enchanted Tiki Room is very close to the show Walt designed, more so than what's playing at WDW.
There's about the same number of rides in Disneyland and DCA as the four parks at WDW. The experience in Disneyland is far more compact, which increases the charm and gives the park a unique feel for visitors.

Even the "stupid Pixar crap at DCA" has an excellent shooter dark ride, and a fun roller coaster. Hardly "crap", just not well executed theming.

I should also add that I'm saying this as someone who's never been to Walt Disney World, so my observations are based solely on what I've heard online and from friends.

A buddy of mine (socal resident) did the Disney College Program in Florida- and told me that the place is extremely removed from Walt, but that many of the people who go there but haven't been to Disneyland don't realize it.

Rolly Crump, famed WED designer, had this to say about Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom:

In regard to your concern about the "Disney bubble", the berm in Disneyland park is surprisingly effective- I can only think of two places inside the park (from ground level) that you can see the outside world- the Disney built parking structure, and a Marriott you can see from the submarine lagoon in Tomorrowland if you know to look for it at night.

This.

socalifornian

WDW overall is a great experience. DLR overall is a great experience. You can see the Contemprary resort from inside MK. For a property that’s the size of San Francisco’s city limits, that wasn’t necessary but it’s there. Tower of Terror is also visible from Epcot. The ride was specifically painted to try and blend in with the Morocco Pavilon. Hearing a fireworks show from another park is also a thing

They did a good job at creating a bubble from the city, but it’s not exactly sterile either so it’s not just DLR that has some sight intrusions. Disneyland put in work too between a berm and getting Anaheim building height limitations surrounding the resort

I just think it’s crazy how DLR has been ahead of WDW so long on the ride count. Last I checked it isn’t much and Florida is closing the gap, but those numbers shouldn’t even be close. So yes there’s ‘only’ two parks, I’m just glad they know how to maximize on space here. Can’t imagine having half the rides we do if it were equivalent to how WDW works

peter11435

Never been but seeing how little they care about nighttime entertainment out there, the stupid Pixar crap at DCA, only 2 parks, no Disney Springs, the fact its surrounded by "real world", and the fact it's in California really has turned me off on the notion. Much to chagrin of my friends. I just know I would not enjoy it
I think you’d be surprised.

You really can’t see the real world from almost anywhere in the parks.

World of Color, paint the night, and fantasmic are on par with evening entertainment at WDW.

Only 2 parks but with more attractions (and far better upkeep) than the 4 at WDW.

ght

All of this. Plus growing up an hour from WDW, it was always 'my' resort and I before going to DL I used to think that it couldn't be as good since it is so much smaller. Now having done both for years I much prefer DL smallness to the vast size of WDW. At DL if I want to hit Cars Land early then go ride Pirates and have some lunch and end the day with World of Color it is no problem because I can just walk 100 yards and I am at the other park. WDW it can be such a chore to get from one park to another that I feel trapped at whatever park I started the day in and dread having to hop on a bus or a boat or a monorail. I appreciate all the WDW has to offer but I always feel like I can get a lot more done in a day at DL.

SuddenStorm

All of this. Plus growing up an hour from WDW, it was always 'my' resort and I before going to DL I used to think that it couldn't be as good since it is so much smaller. Now having done both for years I much prefer DL smallness to the vast size of WDW. At DL if I want to hit Cars Land early then go ride Pirates and have some lunch and end the day with World of Color it is no problem because I can just walk 100 yards and I am at the other park. WDW it can be such a chore to get from one park to another that I feel trapped at whatever park I started the day in and dread having to hop on a bus or a boat or a monorail. I appreciate all the WDW has to offer but I always feel like I can get a lot more done in a day at DL.

An interesting benefit to the smaller size of Disneyland is the compactness of everything. You take a left into Adventureland? You instantly run into the Tiki Room. 20 feet further? Jungle Cruise. Right next to that? Indy. Then the treehouse. Then Pirates. And to your right? There's Fantasmic!

This makes it difficult to ever be "bored" at Disneyland, since around every turn is a new experience- a new visual draw- a new way for the senses to be entertained.

I've never been to the Magic Kingdom, but from what I've seen from pictures, everything is just so spread out, there's a lot of walking to get to each attraction, it isn't necessarily as "spontaneous" as Disneyland can be, especially now with reserving Fastpass months in a advance with magic band.

peter11435

That’s a stretch lol... If WDW updated their F! and had a nighttime parade lol
Exactly. Disneyland has a vastly superior Fantamic and a night parade. Which combined with world of color and seasonal fireworks puts their evening entertainment on par with WDW despite not having anything like illuminations or Happily Ever After.

TTA94

Exactly. Disneyland has a vastly superior Fantamic and a night parade. Which combined with world of color and seasonal fireworks puts their evening entertainment on par with WDW despite not having anything like illuminations or Happily Ever After.

My bad, I misread your post. Thought you meant WDWs entertainment is as good as WoC, F! and Paint The Night lol. That’s debatable. WDW needs to update their F! and, well, get a nighttime parade on par if not hopefully better then Paint The Night. WoC, well, Universal Studios in Orlando seems to be the only park in FL that will barely come close to WoC.

Emmanuel

Before PTN was a thing in DCA did they commonly run two showings of WOC or was it usually just one?

WoC mainly does 2 shows on weekends and once on weekdays during off-season and twice a night during the busy periods.

Before WoC got delayed in its return last year they did post a schedule showing Paint starting at 8:50 and WoC at 10:15 so there is a plan to scale it to one show with PTN running and likely go back to normal schedule when PTN isn’t running

iMax

WoC mainly does 2 shows on weekends and once on weekdays during off-season and twice a night during the busy periods.

Before WoC got delayed in its return last year they did post a schedule showing Paint starting at 8:50 and WoC at 10:15 so there is a plan to scale it to one show with PTN running and likely go back to normal schedule when PTN isn’t running
There actually used to be THREE showings of WOC.

Thanks, I'm in the midst of planning a trip back in early May and the way things are looking with WOC it looks like nighttime entertainment will be stacked, I'm hoping PTN will make a return before I go since that's my favorite parade, but trying to fit WOC, PTN, Mix Magic (probably will only watch once), & Fantasmic all in a few days is pretty challenging.

The_Bellringer

Thanks, I'm in the midst of planning a trip back in early May and the way things are looking with WOC it looks like nighttime entertainment will be stacked, I'm hoping PTN will make a return before I go since that's my favorite parade, but trying to fit WOC, PTN, Mix Magic (probably will only watch once), & Fantasmic all in a few days is pretty challenging.
My advice would be to do Fantasmic and the fireworks in one night. I went during Christmas, got a fast pass and had a great view of the show and fireworks. The fireworks get cancelled more often than you’d think at DL. I get the castle view is iconic, but I’d rather not spend 2-3 hours staking out my spot only to hear the “Due to high winds...” announcement.

This way, you’re guaranteed a show.

Darkbeer1

>The popular World of Color water-and-light spectacle is slated to return to Disney California Adventure on Saturday, Feb. 23, Disneyland officials confirmed Monday, more than nine months after it was shut down in the wake of a mysterious accident.<<

>The show that’s returning is the same production that was shuttered in April. Disney officials said it will open initially on a “test-and-adjust” basis for at least the first week.<<

Darkbeer1

Why “test and adjust”? Isn’t it basically press play and go? Did the accident damage it that severely?

Well, Marketing wants the official opening on March 1st, to match the Food and Wine, and the scheduled press events.

So there has to be a "reason" for opening it prior to that date. And coming out and saying our current evening offerings at DCA are so weak without World of Color, well, Disney won't allow you to say that.

jrhwdw

Well, Marketing wants the official opening on March 1st, to match the Food and Wine, and the scheduled press events.

So there has to be a "reason" for opening it prior to that date. And coming out and saying our current evening offerings at DCA are so weak without World of Color, well, Disney won't allow you to say that.
So I wonder if DPB(if they mention WOC at all) will go with next weekend or March 1st?

Is attendance finally dropping off at night after the Lunar events are done for the day? Or are people still in the park till 10 on weekends?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom