OSCARS 2019

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Surprised there is not one post about this yet, but the nominated films are out. Trailers for each nominated film are posted below. Thoughts on what should win?

BLACK PANTHER (I know this is sacrilege, but I have not seen this yet. I hear it is wonderful.)

BLACKKKLANSMAN (This is a truly, truly amazing film that deserves to win for the last five minutes alone.)

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Liked the movie, but it is so far off from what really happened that I cannot support this.)

THE FAVOURITE (Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like a lot of fun.)

GREEN BOOK (Haven't been able to convince myself to see this yet, because it seems like a movie I have already seen 10 times, but everyone I know and respect says it is incredible, so.....)

ROMA (I hate to say this, but we tried to watch this on Netflix and fell asleep after 30 minutes. The cinematography looks gorgeous, and we will give it another try.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BS27ngZtxg

VICE (Don't get me started on this one.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3GsRQO0dM

A STAR IS BORN (I loved this film. It is not perfect, but it is so well done.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxGl3B2I4A

What's gonna win??? Thoughts?

Princess Leia

Decided to do some digging on RT for critics/ audience scores for the 8 movies nominated:

Black Panther
Critics: 97%
Audience: 79%

BlackkKlansman
Critics: 95%
Audience: 82%

Bohemian Rhapsody
Critics: 62%
Audience: 89%

The Favourite
Critics: 93%
Audience: 62%

Green Book
Critics: 82%
Audience: 94%

Roma
Critics: 96%
Audience: 83%

A Star is Born
Critics: 90%
Audience: 80%

Tony the Tigger

Going to see Green Book ASAP now that it is expanding theaters.

Of the rest I’ve seen, I have to go with Rhapsody.

Before we loaded merchandise into my second record store, these went up on the wall:

6D45968D-3F61-4A54-A0A7-BB61645E14BB.jpeg

(Looking forward to “Rocket Man” also.)

champdisney

I'm still laughing over Black Panther getting the best picture nod. A decent Marvel movie, but I've seen better.

Aquaman essentially has the same premise and message of Black Panther and I enjoyed it, far more than Black Panther. Black Panther takes itself too seriously, I'm hearing how Black Panther is so important yet no one can answer the question as to why it is so important. It's a superhero film, it is completely fictional and we have seen loads of films carrying the same message like it. I've seen more grounded superhero films, yet the academy continued to dismiss them over the years. I understand that this is a political statement being made and Bob Iger can continue to pat himself on the back like the boring vanilla midget that he is but c'mon people... Infinity War was better. LOL!

Alright, I don't want you guys to feel like I'm trolling but I haven't been into the Oscars for years now simply because of their bias nature. If Black Panther can get nominated, why couldn't Wonder Woman get nominated? Just for the love of God, keep superhero films fun. I feel as if everyone involved in that production (BP) all went in with the notion of "Oh yes! We're finally doing something great for this group of people. Everyone's gonna have to love it or guess what... ray-ha-ha-cist!" When in reality, society has had great superhero characters featuring folks of color.

Anyway, rant over. I wish all of the nominees the best of luck but don't be surprised if Black Panther wins. Take my advise, do not go on Twitter and claim the movie you were rooting for got robbed. They'll label you... even though it's true.

Stay woke, my Disney friends... stay woke.

Princess Leia

I'm bored, so here's a tally of the 8 nominated films and if they have nominated/won major awards this season (wins are in bold). I know that the AFI isn't really an award, but there are movies that weren't nominated for Best Picture that were named as one of the 10 best movies, so I'm keeping it on the lists.
Note- the BAFTAs are February 10

Black Panther
  • Screen Actors Guild- Best Cast
  • American Film Institute 2018 Top 10
  • Critics Choice Award for Best Picture
  • Golden Globe for Best Drama
  • Best Theatrical Motion Picture- Producers Guild of America Awards
BlacKkKlansman
  • BAFTA- Best Picture
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
  • BAFTA- Best Picture
  • Golden Globe for Best Musical/Comedy
Green Book
  • BAFTA- Best Picture
Roma
  • Critic's Choice- Best Picture
  • American Film Institute- Special Award
  • Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film
  • BAFTA- Best Picture
  • BAFTA- Best Film Not in English Language
A Star is Born
  • BAFTA- Best Picture
Vice
Honorable Mentions (to the movies that were nominated on at least one of the lists above):
  • A Quiet Place
  • Crazy Rich Asians
  • Eighth Grade
  • First Man
  • First Reformed
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • Mary Poppins Returns
(honestly, I'm surprised that A Star Is Born isn't doing better)

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Here are the category tallies for the other Big 5 and acting frontrunners (because I don't want to go through like 25 nominees, only past winners are here- I'm allowed to be lazy on this)

Best Director
  • it's going to be Alfonso Cuaron. He's won like every award he can for Roma this season
Best Actor
  • Christian Bale (Vice): 2
    • Golden Globe- Comedy
    • Critics' Choice
    • Screen Actors Guild
    • BAFTAs
  • Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody): 3
    • Golden Globe- Drama
    • Screen Actors Guild
    • Critics' Choice
    • BAFTAs
Best Actress
  • Glenn Close: 3
    • Screen Actors Guild
    • Critics' Choice- tie
    • Golden Globes- Drama
    • BAFTA
  • Lady Gaga: 1- plus all of the nominations and wins for Shallow
    • Screen Actors Guild
    • Critics' Choice- tie
    • Golden Globes
    • BAFTA
  • Olivia Colman: 2
    • Golden Globes- Musical/Comedy
    • Screen Actors Guild
    • BAFTA
Best Supporting Actor
  • Mahershala Ali (Green Book): 4- there really isn't anyone else he's competing with
    • Golden Globes
    • Critics' Choice
    • Screen Actors Guild
    • BAFTAs
Best Supporting Actress
  • Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk): 2
    • Critics' Choice
    • Golden Globes
  • Rachel Weisz (The Favourite): 1
    • BAFTA
    • Critics' Choice
    • Golden Globes
    • Screen Actors Guild
  • (shout out to Emily Blunt for winning the SAG award in this category for A Quiet Place, despite not being nominated anywhere else)
Best Original Screenplay
  • First Reformed: 1
    • Critics' Choice
  • Green Book: 1
    • Golden Globes- Best Screenplay
    • BAFTA
    • Writers Guild of America (pending)
  • The Favourite: 1
    • BAFTA
Best Adapted Screenplay
  • If Beale Street Could Talk: 1
    • Critics' Choice
    • Writers Guild of America (pending)
  • BlacKkKlansman: 1
    • BAFTA

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
I’ve seen all of these except for Vice and Green Book.

To me, BlacKkKlansman deserves to win for its final five minutes alone.

I loved A Star is Born and I’d be fine with that too. It’s a very well made film.

Saw The Favourite on Saturday and that is one insane film. It’s basically All About Eve set in the court of Queen Ann. It’s cold, nasty, hysterical, and haunting, but pretty much every character is unlikable and it leaves a sick taste in your mouth by the end.

Bohemian Rhapsody was enjoyable but completely historically inaccurate, and that coupled with the scandal with the director disqualifies this for me.

I hate to admit this, but I have tried to watch Roma on Netflix 3 times and each time, I have fallen asleep within 20 minutes. Has anyone seen this? Does anything happen, or is it just beautiful cinematography?

We tried to watch Black Panther this weekend, but the Philmonster hates superhero movies and started huffing and puffing after 45 minutes, so we turned it off. I’ll give it another shot on my own later.

Hoping to see Vice and Green Book this week.

Frankie The Beer

Roma is easily the best film this year and based on the other nominees should walk all over them in ten inch heels. Its a special film, magical and compassionate. Yalitza Aparicio should also win Best Actress the other noms are not in the same class as her performance.

Princess Leia

Roma is easily the best film this year and based on the other nominees should walk all over them in ten inch heels. Its a special film, magical and compassionate. Yalitza Aparicio should also win Best Actress the other noms are not in the same class as her performance.
I think I’m going to check that one out tonight.

Are A Star is Born or BlacKkKlansmen out on digital yet? I’m really interested in those two.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
You can buy one of the greatest films ever made (ASIB) on iTunes now. I believe later this month itll be on dvd/bluray
One of the greatest films ever made? Well, I loved it, and it is very, very well made, but I don’t know if I’d go quite that far. I mean it’s great but I don’t know if it’s in the company of truly great movies like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Jaws, All About Eve, Apocalypse Now, Schindler’s List, or even any of Disney’s classic animated films, among others.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Now all I have to do is not fall asleep during the first 20 minutes, lol. Maybe the 4th time’s the charm. 😜

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
giphy.gif

I swear I hate that LG preaches kindness and compassion because there is nothing I despise more than people who have the effing audacity to speak ill of anything she does. :mad: This film will be preserved in the Library of Congress, mark my words.
Well, we're mostly in agreement here. I think it's fantastic. I just don't know if it's one of the greatest of all time. ;)

Tick Tock

one of the greatest films ever made (ASIB)
truly great movies like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Jaws, All About Eve, Apocalypse Now, Schindler’s List, or even any of Disney’s classic animated films, among others.
I see you listed Gone With The Wind, which is one of my faves too
* steps in quietly *

* inserts The Sound Of Music, and LOTR and Back To The Future trilogies into this conversation *

* steps out quietly *

Princess Leia

Just updated the winners list. At the BAFTAs today, The Favourite really cleaned up (7 wins)... but the Best Picture went to Roma. Olivia Colman added another win, making the Best Actress race very contested, between her, Glenn Close, and Lady Gaga (if it goes to anyone else I'd be shocked). Rachel Weisz finally got a win, though she probably won't get the Oscar. Rami Malek got another win for Bohemian Rhapsody; I think it's safe to say he will probably get the Oscar. I don't think anyone else is competing with Mahershala Ali this season- he's adding another Oscar to his collection. Ditto for Alfonso Cuaron- pretty sure he's in a league of his own right now for Roma.

Vice is really seeming to be the one movie that probably got nominated for the acting. Outside of Christian Bale, it's not picking up a lot of hardware (though it did win for Best Editing at the BAFTAs today).

Tony Perkis

BEST PICTURE:
Will Win: Roma
Should Win: BlacKKKlasman

BEST DIRECTOR:
Will win: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Should Win: Spike Lee, BlacKKKlasnman

BEST ACTOR:
Will Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Should Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody or Christian Bale, Vice. Both were fantastic

BEST ACTRESS:
Will Win: Glenn Close, The Wife
Should Win: Olivia Colman, The Favourite

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Will Win: Maharshala Ali, Green Book
Should Win: Adam Driver, BlacKKKlasman or Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Will Win: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
Should Win: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: BlacKKKlasman

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: The Favourite
Should Win: Vice

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
Will Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Should Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (my favorite film of 2018)

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
BEST PICTURE:
Will Win: Roma

BEST DIRECTOR:
Will win: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Should Win: Spike Lee, BlacKKKlasnman

BEST ACTOR:
Will Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Should Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody or Christian Bale, Vice. Both were fantastic

BEST ACTRESS:
Will Win: Glenn Close, The Wife
Should Win: Olivia Colman, The Favourite

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Will Win: Maharshala Ali, Green Book
Should Win: Adam Driver, BlacKKKlasman or Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Will Win: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
Should Win: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: BlacKKKlasman

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: The Favourite
Should Win: Vice

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
Will Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Should Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (my favorite film of 2018)
I think you are spot on here, for the most part. The only thing I wonder about is Best Actor - I have a feeling they are going to throw it to Bale. But we shall see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom