Project Stardust - How the "Cleanup" campaign will affect Disneyland - OCR/SCNG

SuddenStorm

Why they have to be hosted by idiots I'll never know.

The Disneyland vloggers do such a horrible job representing and educating the fan community- it's all surface level fluff, regurgitations of the same stories over and over, and false assumptions. The Disney "news" channels that lurk the forums and quote our rumors and assumptions, or read articles written by Micechat, Mouseplanet, etc verbatim to "report" the news are ridiculous. I've seen many rumors purported as "fact", or verifiably false bits of "history" cited elsewhere online because a vlogger made an assumption about something in a video, and their fans latched onto it as gospel fact.

Or the Disney "historians" that read chapters from Jason Surrell's books word for word in a "history" video over a montage of other people's footage. I had a brief dialogue with one once- I asked where he cites his sources/gains information- whether he's able to go directly to the sources and help gain new information, or if he's relying on other people's insight and interviews. He said he cites himself- since he's read dozens of Disneyland books. I was blown away.

I'd love to see one that actually approaches Disneyland as a serious art form/business marvel- analyzes crowd flow, attraction/park design, even the pricing from both a business and fan perspective to provide insight into why Disneyland is the cultural phenomenon it is. A channel that is able to talk about the history of each attraction/location- provide insight into the changes that have been made and why they're good/bad. One that analyzes the people that managed and built the park we know today- their creative drive, insight, and influences.

Apologies for the rant. This is a topic that makes me frustrated- since I hate that the first thing people see when they search "Disneyland" on Youtube is 10 different reviews of the pink dusted churro, and 10 different "Disney secrets they don't want you to know" videos. It cheapens what Disneyland is in the public eye, and hurts the fanbase that want to view and discuss Disneyland as something a bit more meaningful in American culture.

SuddenStorm

Even worse. Never carried anything into the parks and I survived. Even in WDW.

I see. I like loading up on bulk candy from Winco with my group before a trip, and having assorted energy drinks/sodas to help me enjoy the day without spending Disney prices on sugar and sugar water. A backpack is a must- and doesn't bother me, especially since I tend to be there for 12-16 hours when I go.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
He said he cites himself- since he's read dozens of Disneyland books. I was blown away.

SuddenStorm

He's probably not exactly what you are looking for, but Justin Scarred's videos are quite enjoyable, and I typically don't watch "vlog" channels. He truly loves the parks and Walt.

Some of his content is well done, and I appreciate the amount of work he puts into supplying his own photos and footage to his episodes. His personality is a lot to take in though, makes it hard to watch the videos- but he's definitely tapped into a market and has a following.

TP2000

The Disneyland vloggers do such a horrible job representing and educating the fan community- it's all surface level fluff, regurgitations of the same stories over and over, and false assumptions. The Disney "news" channels that lurk the forums and quote our rumors and assumptions, or read articles written by Micechat, Mouseplanet, etc verbatim to "report" the news are ridiculous.

My favorite one from 2018 was when they redid the landscape planters as part of the new Matterhorn queue, and that was presented as proof they were suddenly re-routing the Disneyland Monorail into a 90 degree turn over Autopia so that they could build a Fantasyland expansion. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!

I can't wait to see what brilliant insight from these YouTube folks wins for best comment of 2019. The possibilities for them all with Star Wars this summer will be endless!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
My favorite one from 2018 was when they redid the landscape planters as part of the new Matterhorn queue, and that was presented as proof they were suddenly re-routing the Disneyland Monorail into a 90 degree turn over Autopia so that they could build a Fantasyland expansion. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!

Oh, that had me in stitches. How do you mistake a tree planter box with a foundational footer for the Monorail that would have needed to be twice as big and twice as deep?

Same person (I figure we're not naming names here) that insisted with every ounce of their being that Tom Sawyer's Island wasn't going to be reduced and the train route modified for SWL construction after seeing the new route released online. lol

When (no, if) I watch their construction updates I usually do it with the sound off. There's not knowing how construction works, and then there's just plain making crazy stuff up because you don't know how construction works.

DisneyLostBoy03

The Disneyland vloggers do such a horrible job representing and educating the fan community- it's all surface level fluff, regurgitations of the same stories over and over, and false assumptions. The Disney "news" channels that lurk the forums and quote our rumors and assumptions, or read articles written by Micechat, Mouseplanet, etc verbatim to "report" the news are ridiculous. I've seen many rumors purported as "fact", or verifiably false bits of "history" cited elsewhere online because a vlogger made an assumption about something in a video, and their fans latched onto it as gospel fact.

Or the Disney "historians" that read chapters from Jason Surrell's books word for word in a "history" video over a montage of other people's footage. I had a brief dialogue with one once- I asked where he cites his sources/gains information- whether he's able to go directly to the sources and help gain new information, or if he's relying on other people's insight and interviews. He said he cites himself- since he's read dozens of Disneyland books. I was blown away.

I'd love to see one that actually approaches Disneyland as a serious art form/business marvel- analyzes crowd flow, attraction/park design, even the pricing from both a business and fan perspective to provide insight into why Disneyland is the cultural phenomenon it is. A channel that is able to talk about the history of each attraction/location- provide insight into the changes that have been made and why they're good/bad. One that analyzes the people that managed and built the park we know today- their creative drive, insight, and influences.

Apologies for the rant. This is a topic that makes me frustrated- since I hate that the first thing people see when they search "Disneyland" on Youtube is 10 different reviews of the pink dusted churro, and 10 different "Disney secrets they don't want you to know" videos. It cheapens what Disneyland is in the public eye, and hurts the fanbase that want to view and discuss Disneyland as something a bit more meaningful in American culture.
I am sorry that you feel that way about many vlogging channels out there. I am sure that there are some out there that focuses and celebrates the history of Disneyland and its legacy. My friends and I have a channel as well called Disney Lost Boys and Girls. The name of course was inspired by Disney's timeless classic Peter Pan since that was one of Walt's personal favorites and it ties in to our goal. The goal for our channel is to celebrate Disneyland, positivity, embracing the inner child and friendship. If you like, feel free to check it out. Also on the 12th, we will be teasing an upcoming project for our channel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom