Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

Rich Brownn

While I am not a fan of Marvel attractions being forced into Disney parks, I find it odd that Disney purchased Marvel knowing that they would be limited in what they could use in their parks. I get that the movies are huge money makers, but the fact that they cannot use some of the most iconic Marvel characters at WDW while their direct competitor can freely use them is kind of annoying. I feel as though they should have spent the money it would have cost to buy the rights from Universal so that Disney can freely use their own properties as they want to.

Again, I'm not really a fan of the way Marvel has been shoved into the parks, but I almost feel as though it would have been better in the long run if they could use whatever they want. I doubt we would have seen GotG shoved into EPCOT and DCA. Does anybody know how much it would cost for Disney to buy out the Marvel theme park rights from Universal?
If Universal isn't interested in selling there's not much Disney can do (plus they get a percentage from merchandise sales anyways!)

DanielBB8

You are right, my guess is that since Disney is making so much money off of the movies, they don't think it's important to get the theme park rights.
Huh? Disney has full theme park rights West of the Mississippi and Overseas with the stipulation Marvel cannot be used in name. It’s partial theme park rights. Marvel attractions are already announced for Paris, Hong Kong, and California Adventure. Don’t get so hung up about WDW. Guardians going to Epcot is stretching the limit of the Marvel agreement with Universal especially when it appeared in an Avengers movie.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I am not a fan of Marvel attractions being forced into Disney parks, I find it odd that Disney purchased Marvel knowing that they would be limited in what they could use in their parks. I get that the movies are huge money makers, but the fact that they cannot use some of the most iconic Marvel characters at WDW while their direct competitor can freely use them is kind of annoying. I feel as though they should have spent the money it would have cost to buy the rights from Universal so that Disney can freely use their own properties as they want to.

Again, I'm not really a fan of the way Marvel has been shoved into the parks, but I almost feel as though it would have been better in the long run if they could use whatever they want. I doubt we would have seen GotG shoved into EPCOT and DCA. Does anybody know how much it would cost for Disney to buy out the Marvel theme park rights from Universal?

Disney bought Marvel to appeal to boys. Disney was mostly thought of a girl thing (O Hai! Princesses!).

While superhero movies that weren't Batman were only starting to get big with Iron Man, superhero TV animation was doing very well, and the Marvel franchise on TV filled Disney XD's docket. At that time, there was no way of knowing that the MCU would get so big and popular, and thus, theme-parkified.

So, it wasn't about the theme parks initially. It was about a franchise that could appeal to boys, like pirates did.

Horizons1

Innoventions died after it’s 1994 opening/Communicore renovation. Every incarnation after the initial opening was less and less inspiring. The Road to Tomorrow during the Millenium Celebration was it’s last gasp of air. After that it all went to .

Sharon&Susan

So will Innoventions East just be left empty once Colortopia leaves? I’m starting to like the idea of a year around mini E3 (without the announcements)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom