Buying a Platinum pass from other park

SuperStretccch

Original Poster
So I'm thinking about buying a Platinum Pass because I might make trips up to other parks outside of Florida. However, I've noticed the Platinum Pass is much cheaper if bought from parks outside of Florida like Sesame Place, or SeaWorld in San Antonio. Could anyone confirm if you can still activate these passes for first time use in SeaWorld Orlando? I've read it used to be possible sometimes, but it might have changed since then and I'm currently a bit unsure.

Trackmaster

Its something that I looked into and thought about. Two problems:

• You have to scan in at the park that you're getting the deal from. This means that you'd have to get to San Antonio or Sesame Place. But not be the end of the world if you like traveling and would like to see San Antonio and/or Sea World San Antonio at some point in your life.
  • You would only get the level benefits for SWSA, or the Sesame Place park. From what I understand, if you get a Florida Platinum pass, you get level benefits at all of the Florida parks though. But I have heard that you get general parking at least (weird and quirky I think). So you might just be better off getting a lower level pass anyway as the only real benefit to the Texas Platinum is the ability to go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and SWSA... and the free general parking is that's true.
When my silver expires in November, I'll probably just do the Florida premium and visit SWSA with it just to see it. The Florida Premium gives me the guest passes, guest discounts, premium parking, ride again privileges, in-park discounts, and the other little things.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I have a Platinum from San Diego. I started it on EZ Pay in 2011, I think, and my payment is a mere $10.66/month. I will never give it up!

As far as I know, it has to be activated at the home park. I had to get a new pass at one point because mine was damaged, and they mailed me one from San Diego (I explained to them that I used to live out there, but moved to FL, and they were happy to help). They told me in Tampa that they weren't going to be able to reprint my pass there, but they were able to let me in. However, they also had no issue transferring my pass info to one of the $5 Guy Harvey plastic passes in Orlando, so I have no idea if that was true or not.

I have gotten the same benefits in Tampa and Orlando - they always give me preferred parking and the same discounts. The only snag we've run into is when my wife's received free Quick Queue passes for new attractions at her home park (she has a pass from Orlando), but I'm unable to obtain the same benefit.

Trackmaster

I have a Platinum from San Diego. I started it on EZ Pay in 2011, I think, and my payment is a mere $10.66/month. I will never give it up!

As far as I know, it has to be activated at the home park. I had to get a new pass at one point because mine was damaged, and they mailed me one from San Diego (I explained to them that I used to live out there, but moved to FL, and they were happy to help). They told me in Tampa that they weren't going to be able to reprint my pass there, but they were able to let me in. However, they also had no issue transferring my pass info to one of the $5 Guy Harvey plastic passes in Orlando, so I have no idea if that was true or not.

I have gotten the same benefits in Tampa and Orlando - they always give me preferred parking and the same discounts. The only snag we've run into is when my wife's received free Quick Queue passes for new attractions at her home park (she has a pass from Orlando), but I'm unable to obtain the same benefit.

I live in Tampa, but I was considering flying to San Antonio to process the pass and get the $140 Platinum instead of the $360 Florida one. But it does look like the fine print says that you only get level benefits in your home state. I guess its just an unenforced rule?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I live in Tampa, but I was considering flying to San Antonio to process the pass and get the $140 Platinum instead of the $360 Florida one. But it does look like the fine print says that you only get level benefits in your home state. I guess its just an unenforced rule?
It could be that, or perhaps my type of pass was grandfathered in? I'm wondering if they changed things up when the new passes were introduced last year. They always scan my pass and hand me a preferred parking tag, and I'm pretty sure the pass is always scanned/swiped for discounts. I've never had anyone bring it up in Tampa or Orlando.

Trackmaster

It could be that, or perhaps my type of pass was grandfathered in? I'm wondering if they changed things up when the new passes were introduced last year. They always scan my pass and hand me a preferred parking tag, and I'm pretty sure the pass is always scanned/swiped for discounts. I've never had anyone bring it up in Tampa or Orlando.

I read on another more coaster enthusiast oriented board that he tried the San Antonio trick, and said that they would honor general parking, and not preferred. Its a weird system. Before I fly to Texas to try it out, I probably want the facts. I'd call in, but I'd imagine that any customer service response would just mirror what they say on their official website. But if you study the fine print on the official passes, they make it clear that level benefits other than free admission are supposed to be only good in the home state of the pass - hence the wild price differences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom