What will Disney do for DCA’s 20th anniversary?

What will Disney do for DCA’s 20th anniversary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
This Friday, it will be California Adventure’s 18th anniversary and Disney probably won’t do anything to commemorate this (unlike with Disneyland where they usually do at least something special every year), but that makes me wonder what will Disney do for DCA’s 20th in 2021. I’m thinking other than some merchandise and maybe calling Marvel Land a “gift” to DCA (like Disney did with Cinderellabration when it came toThe Magic Kingdom), Disney won’t mention it, but vote or post your thoughts below.

Last edited:

NateD1226

I'm not expecting much except for some merch, decorations, very small ride upgrades, and some new things to Marvel Land. I don't expect much from it at all.

SuddenStorm

Hard and scary to believe DCA is almost 20 years old. I vividly remember being an eight year-old child, anxiously waiting for the park to open and curbing my curiosity.

In 20 years, I'll be saying I can hardly believe Galaxy's Edge is almost 20 years old. That I vividly remember being a 21 year old child, vocally criticizing it's existing and trashing the auction change.

Californian Elitist

In 20 years, I'll be saying I can hardly believe Galaxy's Edge is almost 20 years old. That I vividly remember being a 21 year old child, vocally criticizing it's existing and trashing the auction change.

I’m praying it’s gone in 20 years or less. Throw the whole attraction away.

Throw Marvel Land away as well. And Pixar Pier. Especially the latter.

mickEblu

For those that visited DCA in its first few weeks/months, what was your first reaction? I know it was terrible, but I'm curious about your personal views circa 2001. Did you go in knowing it would suck due to the press or did you have an open mind? If anybody was there opening day that would be cool to hear as well.

I ask because my first visit to DCA was in 2011 in the midst of the reconstruction, and I remember hating it. My second visit was exactly one year later in 2012 and I remember loving BVS and Cars Land.

Well I certainly wasn’t the critic I am now but I was an 18 year old who grew up with Disneyland and loved it. I visited for the first time a few months after the park opened. To me DCA sucked and felt cheap. There was no magic and not enough rides. I think we easily did everything the park had to offer in about 1/2 a day. It was basically a one and done in my mind and then I kind of even forgot that existed until I went back 9 years later. I’m talking I would go back to DL and take family from out of town every few years and the thought of buying a parkhopper(s) never crossed my mind. I don’t remember my head turning to the right when walking through the esplanade after that first visit. Soarin Over California was really the only thing that left a lasting impression. Screamin was fun. Superstar limo was a joke. Muppets was OK (since it was the first time). ITTBAB was memorable and the queue was Disneyland level quality. Grizzly Peak/ Grizzly River Run was nice but it was nowhere near as lush as it is now. Paradise Pier felt like Magic Mountain to me. Screamin was fun. Maliboomer was over before it started. Mullholland madness was Goofys sky school. The Orange Stinger was fun and I think it smelled like oranges. Hollywoodland felt generic.

Don’t remember much about Bountiful Valley Farm and I don’t think we did the “Whoopie Goldberg” show. I can’t remember where we ate. I think corn dogs at Paradise Pier.

Last edited:

Touchdown

^I disagree, I could power ride Guardians for hours with the random sequences you never know what you are going to get. If it wasn’t for carpel tunnel setting in after the 3rd or 4th ride I could do the same on Toy Story as well.

I typically will ride Incridicoaster 2-4 times a day when there, and while I know there are people who would disagree, if I could just stay on Soarin all day I would be perfectly content. In the category of rides I try to ride multiple times a day, it’s pretty evenly split between the two parks:

Pirates, HM, Space, BTMRR, Matterhorn and Indy at DL

RSR, Guardians, TSMM, Soarin, Incridicoaster at DCA

Californian Elitist

For those that visited DCA in its first few weeks/months, what was your first reaction? I know it was terrible, but I'm curious about your personal views circa 2001. Did you go in knowing it would suck due to the press or did you have an open mind? If anybody was there opening day that would be cool to hear as well.

I ask because my first visit to DCA was in 2011 in the midst of the reconstruction, and I remember hating it. My second visit was exactly one year later in 2012 and I remember loving BVS and Cars Land.

I remember being severely overwhelmed and missing Disneyland every time I was there. And I was a child, so that speaks volumes. My cousin, my sister, and I would go first thing in the morning during our trips to “get it over with,” as we would say. We LOVED Soarin’ Over California, so we made sure to always do that. We did the Fun Wheel, Mulholland Madness, and sometimes the Golden Zephyr and Jumpin’ Jellyfish. We’d get ice cream at Burbank Ice Cream then hightail it to Disneyland, where the real fun was.

I remember thinking the park was plain and ugly. I did love those giant CALIFORNIA letters and I miss them. I remember climbing on them as a child.

Phroobar

Management must have copied food service from Magic Mountain in that first year. I remember waiting 45 minutes for my wrap that I saw sitting on the kitchen counter before the brain dead cast member would give it to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom