Trip Report *COMPLETED* I've climbed the mountain, I've crossed the river, and I'm almost there!

Introduction

We've only been back from Japan since Saturday night but I am just itching to get started on this report! We had an absolutely AMAZING trip and I'm not ready to let it go, and writing my TR is one way for me to delay the inevitable return back to "the real world." :) This was the longest vacation I've ever taken, and like any long trip-or any new experience, for that matter-there were ups and downs, good moments and not-so-good moments. There were mistakes, mishaps, mountains, and monkeys. Yes, monkeys! There were surprises and there was DRAMMA!* There were things we will do differently next time we visit Japan, and believe me, we knew less than halfway through the trip that there WILL be a next time someday!

In case you missed the PTR, here it is: Bee's Big Birthday! There you can read about the cast, the general plans, and the reasons for planning this particular trip.

Now about the title: It's a reference to this song from The Princess and the Frog:

I have been kind of obsessed with this song lately and I found myself singing it in my head repeatedly during the trip. You'll see why soon!

So, if you're ready for a journey halfway around the world, thousands of photos, and Double Disney bookends, keep reading!

EDIT: The Tokyo Disney stuff starts here.

*I've mentioned it in previous TRs, but I like to spell "dramma" the Italian way because I'm an opera singer and what's more DRAMMAtic than Italian opera?? So please don't think I'm an idiot (for that reason anyway :hilarious:)!

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I’ve been really enjoying the articles and videos you’ve added to your TR and noticed that the author of the article on how to pray at a shrine should probably read the article about the difference between a shrine and a temple (or maybe she just need to proofread her own article 😉)

bee

Original Poster
This is a good trip report😉
Thank you!

Simply stunning pics @bee !! BEE-U-TIFUL!!!!
Thank you!

I’ve been really enjoying the articles and videos you’ve added to your TR and noticed that the author of the article on how to pray at a shrine should probably read the article about the difference between a shrine and a temple (or maybe she just need to proofread her own article 😉)
Haha, good catch! I add them because I could try to explain things...but I know I wouldn't do a very good job! Better to let the experts (or maybe less than experts) chime in!

NessNewt

Day 6, cont.

After a short walk we arrived at the Tenriyuji Temple and Garden. While many or most temples are free to visit, some require an admission fee. We decided to pay for just entry to the garden because a lot of the temple was open air and we could see inside without going inside. I did my best to conduct the admission transaction only in Japanese so I could get used to hearing common words and phrases. I later realized that I said "Konnichiwa" (good day) when I really should have said "Ohayo gozaimasu" (good morning) which I'm sure was a dead giveaway that I'm a foreigner (not that I look AT ALL Japanese) but I learned my lesson and tried to use time-appropriate greetings the rest of the trip.

A quick note about admission fees: all the museums, gardens, parks, etc., that we visited had very cheap admission fees compared to American museums. This garden was only 400 yen per person (about $4) and something like this in the US would have cost waaaaay more! When I remember the entry fees for certain things I will post them in my TR.

Onto the garden!!!

tumblr_pkfsd44lR81qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd4lT5z1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd5rOf01qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd6nSZu1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd7guiG1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd8T9RG1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd8IUJQ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsd9ifm51qhyy8p_1280.jpg

When we got to this pond, my jaw literally dropped and I stopped breathing for a second because it was SO. BEAUTIFUL. The photos don't even do it justice. I felt like I was in a completely different world.

tumblr_pkfsdaWywq1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsdbKI0k1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk0Zso61qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk1TUjY1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

A bit of the temple:

tumblr_pkfsk2lL1r1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk2jwLC1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk3sC5l1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk4siFb1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk4LrjJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk5oC5p1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk7KfMK1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkfsk74cf61qhyy8p_400.gif

As you can (maybe) see from the gif above, it was lightly raining while we were there. It was still early and there were hardly any other people there.

Up next: More temple and garden!!!

STUNNING.

bee

Original Poster

bee

Original Poster
Day 6, cont.

tumblr_pkhv80FypI1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv81VPv41qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv82pZWn1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv82P0Og1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv83SiyM1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv83hBAV1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv84wpDL1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv85qce31qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv86dVOU1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhv86jwmw1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdmczkT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdnmacT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdoqmj21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdoITPg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdpkwGb1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Finally, I remembered to take a photo of an information sign so I would actually remember what we were seeing!

tumblr_pkhvdq4FHP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This was actually part of the site where the beautiful garden from before was. It was a huge site and we seem to have circled around it.

tumblr_pkhvdrOQE61qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdrym2Y1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdsku681qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvdt0OfK1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: MOOOOOOORE

bee

Original Poster
Day 6, cont.

It was getting close to a reasonable lunch time at this point so I started looking up restaurants. Since it was my birthday I was hoping everyone would be okay with a vegetarian place, and I found a place on the way to our next destination and everyone agreed. In the meantime we were right across the street from Arashiyama Station so we checked it out.

tumblr_pkhvqz0KmJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvr0eubh1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvr1GzlY1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvr1YkFP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvr2qRXd1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvr37KbH1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvr4oh5g1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Next to the station was an ADORABLE bunny-themed bakery.

tumblr_pkhvtbRIbs1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvtcsbxQ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvtdOvtf1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvtdinan1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

M and I shared this little chocolate bread:

tumblr_pkhvteFtts1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

It was soooo good! The bitterness of the chocolate was balanced nicely with a bit of sweetness. It was somehow both rich and light at the same time.

We walked past a few more shops before arriving at our next destination.

tumblr_pkhvte2W5G1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvtfYPJJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkhvthkSve1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: A COOL BRIDGE!

bee

Original Poster
There is such beauty in the simplicity of the architecture and nature there. I need to be more aware of that beauty here in my everyday life... I look forward to every one of your posts! Thanks for sharing...
Thanks for reading! I have definitely found myself taking (some) things a little bit slower and taking in my surroundings since we've been home. Like staring out the window at the gorgeous views of Manhattan on my commute instead of constantly looking at my phone.

Again, so many great pictures. The stuff in that bunny bakery looked so cute and tasty. Just curious about this picture though. Any idea about the foot imprint on it? Any story or explanation given? It kind of looks like Yeti feet.
I actually have no idea and didn't even notice that until you pointed it out! Now I want to know too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom