deleted

Trackmaster

Most guests? How many actual thrill rides are in Magic Kingdom? It had 20.45 million visitors in 2017. It was the most visited theme park in the world for the twelfth consecutive year that year too. And how about Epcot? It had 12.2 million guests in the same year.

Seems like an awful lot of folks coming to Disney when "most people" want thrills and rides.

But in all fairness, MK still has a bunch of thrill rides, and those are the most popular attractions and crazy high capacity (the character greetings might have lines, but aren't they very low capacity)? I'm not really sure what EPCOT is going for, they claim that its for adults, but there's really no thrill rides there. New Test Track is pretty pathetic, and that's the only ride that even tries to be a thrill ride. I think that people like the idea of "family friendly" but when it comes down to it, its just biology, you ride the good stuff, and leave the kiddie stuff alone. The kiddies themselves just want to know when its time to go back to the hotel to nap.

aliceismad

I've got to say though... By being observant, you can plainly see that the majority of folks at WDW spend most of their time complaining. Especially at Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Since I became a cast member, I've been spending SOOO much time at WDW. You would not BELIEVE the amount of times I've heard people ask "Is this a ride?" followed by us stating "No, this is a show." Then the guests talking smack and leaving. Most guests want thrills and rides.
This hasn't been my experience at WDW or DLR at all. Sure there are the jerks and the vocal complainers about how dare Pooh take so long with all these kids and how can they just hurry up and get their dumb picture (actual complaint I heard at WDW). And there are always people who have clearly pushed their children past a breaking point. But I've noticed much more joy than anger at both resorts.

Trackmaster

That doesn't mean that those awful lot of folks are not disappointed or they don't do but just a couple of attractions while they're there. Also, I can guarantee you that a HUGE chunk of their business comes from Disney College Program students. Which we literally DO go to the parks almost every day we have off (or Universal) to just ride the ones we want to get on.

And again -- You've got 4 thrills. Want to know why they reach over an hour of wait time? Because they aren't other thrills. The problem? If they add MORE thrills, MORE people will come, so that won't make much of a difference as far as wait times go. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of that. Slinky Dog is, too. And so will Star Wars, Guardians, and Tron.

Not a problem for Disney. They're in business to make money, not make anybody happy. If people will wait four hours a ride, and dump thousands of dollars on Disney's front porch, why is Disney going to stop them?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not a problem for Disney. They're in business to make money, not make anybody happy. If people will wait four hours a ride, and dump thousands of dollars on Disney's front porch, why is Disney going to stop them?
That was a 180. Also edit-- I'd like to point out that the biggest rule we were taught at the WDW company was: "We are here to create happiness." They repeated that SEVERAL times.

Thus, hey. We're getting more thrills. I don't need to prove my point about what the overall demographics want. You'll see it yourself as years go on. Guardians, Ratatouille, Tron, Runaway Railway, Flight of Passage, and Star Wars are just the beginning. (This also includes IP integration as a key factor of what normal park guests want at Disney.)

This hasn't been my experience at WDW or DLR at all. Sure there are the jerks and the vocal complainers about how dare Pooh take so long with all these kids and how can they just hurry up and get their dumb picture (actual complaint I heard at WDW). And there are always people who have clearly pushed their children past a breaking point. But I've noticed much more joy than anger at both resorts.
Chances are you're not being very observant. Honestly I'm only a few days into my program, but I really recommend working for Disney, if you haven't before.

Trackmaster

That was a 180. Also edit-- I'd like to point out that the biggest rule we were taught at the WDW company was: "We are here to create happiness." They repeated that SEVERAL times.

Thus, hey. We're getting more thrills. I don't need to prove my point about what the overall demographics want. You'll see it yourself as years go on. Guardians, Ratatouille, Tron, Runaway Railway, Flight of Passage, and Star Wars are just the beginning. (This also includes IP integration as a key factor of what normal park guests want at Disney.)

Chances are you're not being very observant. Honestly I'm only a few days into my program, but I really recommend working for Disney, if you haven't before.

Yeah, as they say with a wink. More like "Happiness for investors and their families."

Not that I'm complaining, its just that parks will never complain about more guests coming to their parks willing to spend more and more money. Its a business, not a charity.

jaklgreen

I don't know I think people here are selling the occasional visitor short.

lol , I must know some really weird people then or maybe the first timers I know are not average. lol. the folks I know while they may not be disney fans they do travel so they do their due diligence. I don't know anyone who spends thousands of dollars to go ANYWHERE and doesn't pick up a guide book. The young couples on my job usually ask the folks who have been a few times for their tips.

My first time I picked up a birnbaum guide to disney and we went through it. So sorry I do think many of the average guest know there are 4 distinct parks.

Especially the group that I call the youngins, the young parents with young kids, they maybe in their 30's. they grew up with the net and know how to research.

like others everyone I know who went to the world ended up going back two or three more times.

I have actually met several people who have gone to WDW with zero planning. It is crazy, I know. One couple was sitting across from us on the plane and they pulled out the Birnbaum book and so I said something to them. On the plane was their first time opening the book they said! They asked me for tips. I asked them what they knew about WDW, and it was pretty much nothing. They had no idea about the 4 parks, just thought it was MK. They had no idea about the size of it. They were staying off site and thought that they could just walk to MK because the hotel said it was "main gate". Oi vey

aliceismad

Well, they do say certain people tend to be and see more negative while others are more positive. But my career has required a great deal of observation over the past 20+ years, so I'll keep my own (perhaps too rosy?) outlook. :) And I'll visit the trip reports here to see perspectives that differ from the other forums.

I'm sure being in customer service in Disney would skew things. I remember working in fast food and restaurants in high school and college and wondering what was wrong with some people. I'm sure it's no different in Disney.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I've taken first timers who have absolutely loved Walt Disney World, and first timers who have had a miserable time.

I've got to say though... By being observant, you can plainly see that the majority of folks at WDW spend most of their time complaining. Especially at Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Since I became a cast member, I've been spending SOOO much time at WDW. You would not BELIEVE the amount of times I've heard people ask "Is this a ride?" followed by us stating "No, this is a show." Then the guests talking smack and leaving. Most guests want thrills and rides.

The actual college program participants? They spend most of their time at Universal Studios because they don't have to 1). Wait in lines, and 2). Their attractions are actually rides and thrills.

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are the popular parks right now, because they have rides. There are honestly more young adults at WDW than there are literally any other demographic, from what I've been seeing. I also don't need to prove myself on this one. Just login to MDE on a busy day and see which attractions have the longest wait times. Those attractions will be for those appealing to young adults/somewhat thrilling rides. (Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Test Track, Soarin', ect.)

This is sad to hear, not because there are so many shows and less "thrill" rides. But because of the amount of people who do not do their due diligence BEFORE they arrive at WDW.

jaklgreen

I'm sure being in customer service in Disney would skew things. I remember working in fast food and restaurants in high school and college and wondering what was wrong with some people. I'm sure it's no different in Disney.

It is really bad now. I work in food and the amount of people that are extremely rude and demanding and just down right cruel now is past the roof. When you work in a more "professional" environment, people do act, and treat others differently and with more dignity and respect. If you are a lowly food service worker, or in a job that pays less, then you are pretty much a piece of crap to them. Many do not feel this way, but many, many more do and act on it. It is not uncommon to be yelled at and called stupid, etc several times a week when you have done absolutely nothing wrong. People act this way to try to intimidate you to give them free stuff. I know it sounds unbelievable but it is 100% true. We have become a nation of rude, entitled jerks that know that if you complain loud enough that you will get something for free. I don't think they even see the humans that they are affecting.

eliza61nyc

I have actually met several people who have gone to WDW with zero planning. It is crazy, I know. One couple was sitting across from us on the plane and they pulled out the Birnbaum book and so I said something to them. On the plane was their first time opening the book they said! They asked me for tips. I asked them what they knew about WDW, and it was pretty much nothing. They had no idea about the 4 parks, just thought it was MK. They had no idea about the size of it. They were staying off site and thought that they could just walk to MK because the hotel said it was "main gate". Oi vey

Lol, unfortunately that would be the guest who complained on line about how horrible Disney is.

:rolleyes: how do you shell out big bucks and be happy not knowing anything is baffling

Trackmaster

Lol, unfortunately that would be the guest who complained on line about how horrible Disney is.

:rolleyes: how do you shell out big bucks and be happy not knowing anything is baffling

The couple is too lazy to do their homework before going to Disney. What makes you think that they'll have the drive to go to a message board, make a username, and write out coherent paragraphs? If they were that kind of person, they would have researched and learned about WDW first.

SirWillow

Depending on where you're working, there's also a very strong chance that you're getting a skewed perspective based on the guests that are talking to you. Oftentimes the majority of guests that seek out a cast member are ones that are lost, confused, unhappy, or have a complaint. The ones that are happy and enjoying themselves often aren't going to stop because they are on the way to the next fun thing.

I found that attractions cast members and guest relations were the ones that seemed to think everyone was unhappy, because those were the guests that they talked to the most. They might be matched by those dealing with guests in quick service foods because of how many of them are "hangry" and just want to eat.

Merchandise and custodial would be a mixed view, again because of when they were talking to guests and what they were doing.

However, when you talk to the ones in entertainment, it's often a very different view- most for them are having a great time.

as photopass I saw far more happy guests enjoying their time than unhappy guests, which were a very small, but vocal, minority.

eliza61nyc

The couple is too lazy to do their homework before going to Disney. What makes you think that they'll have the drive to go to a message board, make a username, and write out coherent paragraphs? If they were that kind of person, they would have researched and learned about WDW first.

Oh that's easy, people will more often criticize and complain then they would compliment. Now they may not sign up for a fan based site like this but I 100% believe they would get on tripadvisor or yelp and scream bloody murder.

Next who says all complaints are written on fan boards, word of mouth, facebook and twitter are massive. lol heck, twitter is now the politicians complaint board of choice.

Heck you see it here, people will post all the day what they hate about Disneyworld and when you question them on it, such as why they continue to go, they will say "oh but we had a great time"!! REALLY?? when? what part?. lol, you never hear them compliment or post a trip report but they'll complain all the live long day.

Last edited:

Damon7777

We're getting more thrills. I don't need to prove my point about what the overall demographics want. You'll see it yourself as years go on. Guardians, Ratatouille, Tron, Runaway Railway, Flight of Passage, and Star Wars

For this discussion a thrill attraction uses restraints and posts a minimum height requirement, no?

Rat is not a thrill ride; it is very much like a Hunny Hunt or a Mystic Manor.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Heck you see it here, people will post all the day what they hate about Disneyworld and when you question them on it, such as why they continue to go, they will say "oh but we had a great time"!! REALLY?? when? what part?.
I see people complaining about things or pointing out problems or things that could be better. But I don't see all this hate that's is talked about. There is a big difference between criticizing something and hating it. Open discussion on a discussion forum, is a good thing. Not everything at Disney world is sunshine and roses and just because someone points that out doesn't mean they hate Disney. I have my fair share of complaints to lob at Disney over the years. But I can still go and have a good time but because I had fun I shouldn't talk about what I feel could be better?

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I'd say I was at least close to qualifying as an "average guest" when I went in late January/early February 2016. Previously I had been on a family trip in early 1989 and as part of middle/high school trips in 1994 and 1996 (but was too focused on trying to be "cool" to really get into those two). I was apathetic at best about going as an adult and simply agreed to go in 2016 because a girl I was dating wanted to go. From what I remember, my impressions were roughly:

MK: "I forgot how awesome this place is, I can't believe I let it go twenty years without riding Space Mountain!! I never noticed the attention to detail and immersion this place has before. I have just obtained a whole new appreciation for Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Pan, and many others."

Epcot: "What the hell happened to FutureWorld? So many empty and half empty buildings, it's like a mall that's going out of business and they've slapped some characters meetings to fill space and keep the customers from noticing there's so much less content. World Showcase is awesome as an adult, I love Soarin, what happened to Imagination and Seas, Test Track's pretty fun, Mission:Space is okay, but I miss that ride I could select the ending."

HS (2nd visit ever): "I can't believe I was too scared to ride Tower of Terror in the 90's! RnR was awesome! Indy's still got it! What happened to the tour thing where you could see the Golden Girls house and Flight of the Navigator ship? I thought this was supposed to be a "studio"? Glad I didn't schedule full day here even though we didn't get a chance to make it on Great Movie Ride, but I'll just hit that up if I come back in another year or two..."

AK (first time visit): "This place is awesome, really well done from the safari to Everest, to Dinosaur, the shows, walking trails, and everything else. Primeval Whirl seems a little odd to see at a Disney park instead of a state fair, though. I'm a little skeptical about what the cast members were saying about Avatar since I wasn't that into the movie, sounds lame, but we'll see if anyone actually wants to go to that part in another year or two when it's open..."

By the end of 2017, I was itching enough to go back that I bought an annual pass and started planning another trip, and went back March 2018, August 2018, and will be back again this Saturday to start another 5 day trip!

Last edited:

Trackmaster

Oh that's easy, people will more often criticize and complain then they would compliment. Now they may not sign up for a fan based site like this but I 100% believe they would get on tripadvisor or yelp and scream bloody murder.

Next who says all complaints are written on fan boards, word of mouth, facebook and twitter are massive. lol heck, twitter is now the politicians complaint board of choice.

Heck you see it here, people will post all the day what they hate about Disneyworld and when you question them on it, such as why they continue to go, they will say "oh but we had a great time"!! REALLY?? when? what part?. lol, you never hear them compliment or post a trip report but they'll complain all the live long day.

The kind of person who takes the time to write that kind of stuff is still not the average person. I bet less than 20% of the people that go to a park like that will ever write anything online about the park. If 26M a year go to MK, if everyone wrote detailed write-ups of the park, the internet would be broken. Clearly there aren't millions of Yelp reviews of MK.

aliceismad

The kind of person who takes the time to write that kind of stuff is still not the average person. I bet less than 20% of the people that go to a park like that will ever write anything online about the park. If 26M a year go to MK, if everyone wrote detailed write-ups of the park, the internet would be broken. Clearly there aren't millions of Yelp reviews of MK.
There are less than 64,000 reviews of MK on TripAdvisor. There are certainly some complaints (e.g., people from Australia angry that Disney did not personally inform them that FP+ should be booked 30 days out). But overall MK has 4.5 stars. Would you consider TA an accurate crosssection of WDW guests? There seem to be a lot fewer WDW frequenters than on a board like this.

Trackmaster

There are less than 64,000 reviews of MK on TripAdvisor. There are certainly some complaints (e.g., people from Australia angry that Disney did not personally inform them that FP+ should be booked 30 days out). But overall MK has 4.5 stars. Would you consider TA an accurate crosssection of WDW guests? There seem to be a lot fewer WDW frequenters than on a board like this.

So that's less than 1/1000 of the people who have been to Disney in the last several years. Clearly you can't say that "everybody who goes somewhere has to post a review about it." But 64,000 is actually an incredibly high amount compared to the volume that most establishments give.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom