Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

Nobia Williams

Thanksgiving 2018

View attachment 343416

View attachment 343413

We left Carsland to head to Guardians but got some picture by the Carsland sign.
View attachment 343391

View attachment 343396

View attachment 343415

We so this area set up for a character meet and greet, but no characters were out.
View attachment 343400

View attachment 343404

But we said hi to Walt and Mickey
View attachment 343408

View attachment 343412

And met up with Captain America.
View attachment 343414

Coming up...more Thanksgiving fun and food from Festival of the Holidays!
I am Loving your trip report. My adult son and I went to Disneyland last May. We were there for 7 days. We had 5 day park hopper passes. It was such a great trip! We had a blast and took advantage of all the single rider rides. Your TR is bringing back lots of fun memories. The railroad, Fantasmic, and Indiana Jones was closed while we were there. We were bummed out about that. The fireworks got cancelled too, because of high winds.
We usually go to WDW, but I love DL too. It is a much easier trip, and you do not have to plan the way you do at WDW.
We have stayed at the BW before. Good choice. Liked the quick walk into the park and the breakfast was pretty good. This time we stayed at the Desert Palms and the corner of Harbor and Katella Blvds. It had a good breakfast. You also entered the rooms from inside the hotel.
I liked that. We felt very safe. It backed up to the California Adventure fence. We could have hopped the fence and been there is a few minutes. It was about a 10 minute walk to the Pedestrian entrance.
I love seeing all the Christmas photos. I have never done a Christmas trip. Your pictures make me really want to do a trip during the holidays. Looking forward to all your 2018/2019 TR's. Many thanks for sharing.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am Loving your trip report. My adult son and I went to Disneyland last May. We were there for 7 days. We had 5 day park hopper passes. It was such a great trip! We had a blast and took advantage of all the single rider rides. Your TR is bringing back lots of fun memories. The railroad, Fantasmic, and Indiana Jones was closed while we were there. We were bummed out about that. The fireworks got cancelled too, because of high winds.
We usually go to WDW, but I love DL too. It is a much easier trip, and you do not have to plan the way you do at WDW.
We have stayed at the BW before. Good choice. Liked the quick walk into the park and the breakfast was pretty good. This time we stayed at the Desert Palms and the corner of Harbor and Katella Blvds. It had a good breakfast. You also entered the rooms from inside the hotel.
I liked that. We felt very safe. It backed up to the California Adventure fence. We could have hopped the fence and been there is a few minutes. It was about a 10 minute walk to the Pedestrian entrance.
I love seeing all the Christmas photos. I have never done a Christmas trip. Your pictures make me really want to do a trip during the holidays. Looking forward to all your 2018/2019 TR's. Many thanks for sharing.

Thanks! It sounds like you had a pretty fantastic trip yourself. I do like that Disneyland is easier for planning than WDW, but I do like planning as well. If you can swing it sometime I do recommend seeing a Disney park decked out for Christmas, they do a great job.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanksgiving 2018

I really enjoy the Tower of Terror and I was disappointed that it was being changed at DCA but I like the Guardians movies a lot and in the end I think the change made the ride more fun. I like how it the scenes and music were incorporated and it seems to bounce more. The bouncing is why Brad can't ride multiple times in a row but he still has fun. In many ways, I think overall it might be better than Tower of Terror (even the one at Hollywood Studios!).
The lobby has some fun displays from the Collector's collection.
IMG_9297.JPG

Figment is even there!
IMG_9298.JPG
IMG_9300.JPG
IMG_9303.JPG
IMG_6060.JPG

After Guardians we browsed some stores on our way to Soarin'.
IMG_6066.JPG

We eventually bought this style of ornament and had it personalized.
IMG_6068.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanksgiving at DCA 2018

It was a short walk over to Soarin' on the way we checked out the big tree on Buena Vista Street. The decorations are modeled after vintage ones and are really cool, totally my type of style.

IMG_9305.JPG
IMG_9306.JPG
IMG_9307.JPG
IMG_9308.JPG

Time for a flight on Soarin'.
IMG_9309.JPG

Then it was time to check out the Christmas decorations in this area. We loved the natural look of them.
IMG_9310.JPG
IMG_9313.JPG
IMG_9315.JPG
IMG_9316.JPG
IMG_9317.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanksgiving at DCA 2018

WARNING!!!!! Delicious looking food pictures ahead!

We had bought our Sip and Savor pass for Festival of the Holidays and we were ready to chow down!
IMG_6073.JPG

Our first stop was at Holiday Sliderland. So we could try more food we shared dishes. We got the turkey slider. This actually was disappointing. It was a little dull in flavor, the veggies were too crunchy for us, and it was a bit slimy with the sauces. But at least we could say we did have turkey on Thanksgiving.
IMG_6080.JPG

At that same booth we got the mac and cheese topped with stuff. This was one of our favorites! We did get this another day and got our own servings the next time. (Sorry, the picture turned out upside down....)
IMG_6081.JPG

We walked past this cute little guy.
IMG_6084.JPG

I really liked this shirt and almost bought it but it was whitish in color and very thin. I don't like people being able to see through my shirts so I passed on it.
IMG_6086.JPG

Then we got jalapeno lattkes, spicy but really tasty.
IMG_6091.JPG

And the Nashville hot turkey. We were both nervous about this, not really about the spice but that the turkey would be dry. But it was just the right amount of heat for us and the turkey was not dry.
IMG_6092.JPG

And we enjoyed the view for awhile.
IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

It was time to check out more food.
IMG_9339.JPG

Coming up soon: more Festival of the Holidays and Viva Navidad!

Songbird76

A drag show brunch sounds interesting. I might have to keep that in mind.

I'm not much into trading, I usually just buy the ones I like. I'm pretty sure that the traders set up in Epcot near the pin shop by the big fountain and I think at the pin store at Disney Springs.
I don't know about other drag shows, but the one I went to was quite...naughty. Lots of inuendos, etc. It doesn't bother me, especially in that setting. I knew what I was getting into, but if you don't like that kind of humor, you might want to avoid drag shows.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
You are making me homesick!!
(But I still love your TR!)

Sorry to make you homesick. :) I'm glad you are following along though

I love the Christmas sweaters on the bears!!!

The sweaters on the bears were super cute and the one on the big bear (red sweater) lit up at night.

Its official - I really do need to to go to DL at Christmas :inlove:

I will join as well - I like SW but I would much prefer a Cars Land!

Yes you do. :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know about other drag shows, but the one I went to was quite...naughty. Lots of inuendos, etc. It doesn't bother me, especially in that setting. I knew what I was getting into, but if you don't like that kind of humor, you might want to avoid drag shows.

I've been to a drag show before, I don't think my husband has though. I had fun at the one I went to and you are right it was a bit raunchy on the humor, but hilarious and fun.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanksgiving at DCA 2018

Our next and last Festival food for the day was the campfire macaron. It was chocolate with a light peppermint flavor and it was another hit. Then it was almost time for the toy soldier drummer show. We got a spot front and center and enjoyed the show a lot. It doesn't really come through in the pictures but there was a bit of humor with the toy drummers too. Then after the Toy Soldiers we headed over to Paradise Gardens for the Viva Navidad show/parade.
IMG_6100.JPG
IMG_6102.JPG
IMG_6105.JPG
IMG_6108.JPG
IMG_9347.JPG
IMG_9351.JPG
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_9363.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom