News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

BrianLo

Seriously can't be said enough. The funds from mission: breakout and pixar pier could have brought us the new avengers dark ride/coaster already. Some Phase 1 of marvel would be completed.

Mission Breakout was phase 1 of Marvel. ;)

Unfortunately Pixar Pier was the scrambling plan B because Anaheim wouldn't play nice and it totally shows. What you suggest was actually the plan.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Seriously can't be said enough. The funds from mission: breakout and pixar pier could have brought us the new avengers dark ride/coaster already. Some Phase 1 of marvel would be completed.

And honestly I would've been okay with that. Would've meant my favorite ride(s) and areas were safe and some new experiences were coming, even if IP. Instead they're IP-ing all over my favorites with their overlay garbage that belongs in the disposal.

nevol

Any speculation as to what we might see added to Pixar Pier in the medium-term future? It seems Spidey and the Avengers E-ticket are the next two phases opening in 2020/2022. If rumors are true and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway does indeed come to Disneyland in the future (perhaps 2021?) then it certainly seems as though the current imbalance between Disneyland and DCA will only worsen. Disneyland will potentially be opening 3 new E tickets in the next 2-3 years while DCA will have added a C+/D and an E ticket over the same period.

The Eastern Gateway project may allow more ambitious expansions to Hollywoodland but it seems clear that TDA will need to continue to incentivize guests to opt for DCA over Disneyland with or without this option. In the face of the popularity surge we see from Galaxy's Edge, I suspect Marvel land alone - especially before the E-ticket opens - will not be enough to move the needle. For that reason I feel like DCA will need to add something to Pixar Pier in 2021 or even afterwards to continue to build capacity and draw crowds across the esplanade.

Pixar Pier seems like it will remain in its current form for the foreseeable future, so my question is this, in 2021 or beyond how do you imagine TDA will add to Pixar Pier? Opportunities for redevelopment seem to exist on the Paradise Gardens/Goofy Sky School plot, in the empty CA Screamin' helix and potentially behind Midway Mania for another dark ride of some kind.

I'd love to see a trackless ride in the style of Mystic Manor, if it has to be Pixar I wouldn't mind a CoCo theme (can you imagine what they could do with the projection mapping) or even Up (maybe a SEA crossover with some of the old explorers?)
Southern california would go crazy for coco. And the film is loaded with original music. It is kind of the perfect trackless dark ride in the making for this particular park/local culture and it would actually contribute to the California theme.

Not to mention that there is a nice supernatural element built into the film and the culture upon which it is based, which DCA so desperately needs now that twilight zone is gone and all the rides are very literal and rooted in reality (youre on roaring rapids! a roller coaster! now you're in a car! now you're flying!), whereas disneyland's tend to be more fantastical, transcending, and surreal; a haunted mansion, raiding and escaping a cursed tomb, flying to outer space, etc).

Last edited:

mickEblu

Southern california would go crazy for coco. And the film is loaded with original music. It is kind of the perfect trackless dark ride in the making for this particular park/local culture and it would actually contribute to the California theme.

Not to mention that there is a nice supernatural element built into the film and the culture upon which it is based, which DCA so desperately needs now that twilight zone is gone and all the rides are very literal and rooted in reality (youre on roaring rapids! a roller coaster! now you're in a car! now you're flying!), whereas disneyland's tend to be more fantastical, transcending, and surreal; a haunted mansion, raiding and escaping a cursed tomb, flying to outer space, etc).

Don’t forget you are ACTUALLY at DCA when you re in Marvel Land.

Agreed on Coco being a perfect for DLR and something DCA could really use. Although I would welcome a trackless ride, I think that the attraction would work better on a suspended track. They should just bring the Peter Pan ride system from Shanghai over. Hopping into different colored alibrijes (or whatever that flying tiger was called) and flying into a dark ride is such a DL thing that DCA could use.

Last edited:

MistaDee

Big fan of the suspended idea. Full disclosure - I still haven't actually seen CoCo, but I really dig that its grounded in music, fantasy, and culture - something I think we can probably all agree DCA would really benefit from.

To continue along this train of thought - I think Grizzly Peak could also really benefit from taking a trip back in time or into a universe where animals can talk a la Country Bear Jamboree. As nice as the area is, it really doesn't compare to the real mountains. If we could instead visit the Gold Rush or an alternative timeline I'd find this land far more unique and deserving of a place in a Disney park. This could be an area that SEA or even Discovery Bay type concepts could also play an interesting role.

Despite its flaws there's something fascinating about DCA for me. I think between the promise of WestCot/DisneySEA Long Beach and the DCA we ultimately got makes DCA's redevelopment one of my favorite projects to puzzle over. All the various constraints presented by its land-locked urban nature, proximity to the Grand Californian and perhaps most saliently, the inevitable comparisons drawn by its location across the esplanade from Walt's park really make armchair imagineering DCA a treat.

SuddenStorm

It really bothers me that they were doing great things with DCA then they just turned right around and ruined the entire park within 2 years. I think part of the problem is that the park was flawed from the beginning. If the park had been built using a completely different layout and if it had used space more wisely, the park could have been the West Coast Animal Kingdom in terms of immersion. I believe that if DCA was never built, right about now we would be hearing about a new park coming to that space. Imagine how great that space would have looked if they built a park there in 2019. It would obviously have a lot of IP, but with a blank slate I'm sure it would have been a lot better than Pixar Pier and M:B.

At this point I wouldn't shed a tear if they announced they were going to tear down everything except Cars Land, BVS, and Grizzly Peak to start over. In fact, I believe that is what DCA needs at this point.

That's one of the reasons I REALLY wish they had designed a quality Star Wars land for DCA, not Disneyland.

Disneyland Park is successful. It's beloved. It doesn't need another land to add to the crushing crowds.

DCA? It needs rethink and quality attractions. It needs two new E tickets and a quality themed land, far more than Disneyland.

DanielBB8

Ridiculous, I don’t see how the upgraded Pixar Pier ruined DCA. DCA has been getting many new attractions. Attendance increased 30% since Carsland. Disneyland’s attendance increased despite having no new attractions since Indiana Jones attraction as we are constantly reminded.
I’m sure Disney will tear down Pixar Pier one day after building Superheroes Land and replacing Hollywood Backlot and finally building into the vacant land. Take a number. It’ll be 20 years until they reached this point. That side of the park will be so overwhelming that you’ll forget about Pixar Pier.

DanielBB8

You must work for Disney if you cannot see for yourself why Pixar Pier ruined the progress they once made in DCA.
If I work there, jobs would be on the line and I would fear losing my job. Exactly how many are losing their jobs over Pixar Pier? DCA is progressing. Pixar Pier is best viewed as taking the place of losing Bugsland. Isn’t progress the removal of Bugsland?

Californian Elitist

Ridiculous, I don’t see how the upgraded Pixar Pier ruined DCA. DCA has been getting many new attractions. Attendance increased 30% since Carsland. Disneyland’s attendance increased despite having no new attractions since Indiana Jones attraction as we are constantly reminded.
I’m sure Disney will tear down Pixar Pier one day after building Superheroes Land and replacing Hollywood Backlot and finally building into the vacant land. Take a number. It’ll be 20 years until they reached this point. That side of the park will be so overwhelming that you’ll forget about Pixar Pier.

What’s ridiculous is the idea that Pixar Pier is an upgrade in any way whatsoever.

EPCOTCenterLover

If I work there, jobs would be on the line and I would fear losing my job. Exactly how many are losing their jobs over Pixar Pier? DCA is progressing. Pixar Pier is best viewed as taking the place of losing Bugsland. Isn’t progress the removal of Bugsland?
I agree with your last two sentences, but I still think it’s a downgrade. This isn’t personal by the way. I don’t roll like that.

George Lucas on a Bench

Pixar Pier's lounge with the overpriced fruity drinks and nachos was one of the last times I got hammered before giving up booze, although I can't directly credit it for my sobriety. I think my moment where it clicked was a week or so after I had blacked out at DCA. I was inside the E.T. ride at Universal Studios watching the Botanicus robot and I realized I could feel happy and complete without being under the influence of a substance.

nevol

Pixar Pier's lounge with the overpriced fruity drinks and nachos was one of the last times I got hammered before giving up booze, although I can't directly credit it for my sobriety. I think my moment where it clicked was a week or so after I had blacked out at DCA. I was inside the E.T. ride at Universal Studios watching the Botanicus robot and I realized I could feel happy and complete without being under the influence of a substance.
Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Would anybody else like to go? Any newcomers? Whenever you're ready.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom