Space Mountain Refurb Brainstorming

The Pho

Yes and no. There is a charm to it but man o man there are parts that hurt. It doesn't need to be ultra smooth but taking the bite out of some of the hard corners that really knock you around would do wonders I believe.
It's not like it's an even remotely rough ride compared to others. It's just rough for Disney World, where everything is super smooth. Personally I love the slightly rickety nature of the track, and smoothing that out could help others enjoy it more, but changing the track layout could easily destroy the flow of the ride. The sudden and quick drops and turns are why it's a great ride, remove them and you've removed Space Mountain. I would hate for Magic Kingdom to wind up with something more similar to the California version, which is still fun but nowhere near as much. Many want a track rebuild, but the thing Florida's needs the most is the show quality that California's has, that's how you can improve the ride, not by changing the track.

erasure fan1

It's not like it's an even remotely rough ride compared to others. It's just rough for Disney World, where everything is super smooth. Personally I love the slightly rickety nature of the track, and smoothing that out could help others enjoy it more, but changing the track layout could easily destroy the flow of the ride. The sudden and quick drops and turns are why it's a great ride, remove them and you've removed Space Mountain. I would hate for Magic Kingdom to wind up with something more similar to the California version, which is still fun but nowhere near as much. Many want a track rebuild, but the thing Florida's needs the most is the show quality that California's has, that's how you can improve the ride, not by changing the track.
I hear you. Like I said, there are a couple parts that are very rough, to the point of having people in my family being sore after riding. I would keep it the same, just iron out a few spots and it would be golden.

Expo_Seeker40

My proposal:

If money and time weren't an option....

Space Mountain closes for nearly two years or so after Tron opens. Space Mountain reopens in time for its 50th anniversary in January 2025 with a November 2024 soft opening to handle the seasonal crowds.

The exterior would be sand-blasted, repainted white, with a new lighting package. The arcade building's roof would be demolished and redesigned to mimic the adjoining space mountain entrance better with more of angular look.

The queue would be get lighting and sound system upgrades while maintaining the soundtracks we all love. The old RCA display windows in the zig zag queue would get a full refurbishment, including new narration spiels that no longer mention RCA, but instead reference "StarPort 75".

The two rollercoasters would be demolished and rebuilt brand new, in nearly identical layout, with silent lift hill, better banked turns and angled drops. Interestingly enough, the original Disneyland Space Mountain on board soundtrack works very well with Walt Disney World's version. I'd create brand new single row-4 seater toboggans with onboard audio, refreshed paint job, and bring back the glow-in-the-dark paint.

Favorites like the blue tunnel would bring back its original (beep beep beep beep)musical loop while keeping the addition of the energy ball that pulses to the beat, with a new fiberoptic wall of energy in the entrance to the lift hill tunnel that shimmers and shines as your onride photo is taken.

The lift hill would be restored with numerous broken effects brought back (i.e. signs that no longer blink), the fogged up windows in the control rooms on the lift hill, the spaceship and light panels that hardly work anymore, and the astronauts would become minor moving AA figures.

The red, re-entry tunnel would be a combination of the one in California and the original one still inside Walt Disney World's version: a new tunnel would be build as your vehicles enter a shooting and swirling field of fiber optics (think: Disneyland) before transitioning into WDW's original space mountain red tunnel.

The post show, with no speed ramp, would contain the instrumental version to RCA's old song "here's to the future and you" with new and better scenes showing the various planets and galaxies served by starport 75. As you enter the new exit corridor, the non branded version of RCA's "here's to the future with you" would play with new flat screen monitors and projections filling the two story room, showing people's on board photos and "photos" of them visiting those other places star port 75 serves. Hanging from the ceiling would be a full-size replica of Voyager 1 and its golden disk, with pictures showing all the planets it saw on its journey since it left Earth.

NickMaio

Most of the time you can't really hear the SM WDW soundtrack when you are on the ride - - - Its really sad.

WDW has been dropping the ball on older rides recently, about 5+ years now.
Lots of money grubbing decisions being made at the expense of park immersion and enjoyment.

NickMaio

We would never have gotten SWGE if it was not for Uni and HP.
They pushed WDW into Pandora and other extensive theming projects........

WDW has been sitting back collecting cheques for too long.

Smiley/OCD

I'm 6'3 as well and the seat itself is fine for me. My issue is how rough the track is with no head or neck support. I've never had back or neck issues but when I get put on the last car it can be quite painful.... and I'm only 32
Yes, SM and RnRR beats the hell out of my neck and shoulders...the only way I've found to improve it is to keep my head straight, all the way back, and try not to move it...it seems to lessen the effects.

Trackmaster

Disney has the money, they should just rip out the track, and build new coasters inside of the building from scratch. Maybe keep some of the supports and the footers, but just make it new. Hmm.... I wonder if Rocky Mountain Construction would give a family coaster a whirl... Actually, they probably wouldn't want to be Disney's puppet like Vekoma is, so it might not work out. They seem like a company that would want total control.

lukacseven

More comfortable ride vehicles! Getting into the current ones is hard enough, let alone trying to get out...on Monday after doing the Dopey Challenge. It seems like the lighting changes each time I ride SM. Sometimes you can see the track - other times it's much darker and you have no concept of where you're going, a much better effect.

Railfan Andrew

Disney has the money, they should just rip out the track, and build new coasters inside of the building from scratch. Maybe keep some of the supports and the footers, but just make it new. Hmm.... I wonder if Rocky Mountain Construction would give a family coaster a whirl... Actually, they probably wouldn't want to be Disney's puppet like Vekoma is, so it might not work out. They seem like a company that would want total control.
I say just keep the original layouts. But yes, new track.

Railfan Andrew

What about making a terror ride - - - - - - put a huge projection in the background of this.......

View attachment 333037
You need a more terrifying image... like THIS ONE!!! Sorry if I caused you all any nightmares...
IMG_4077.JPG

ml123_9

Has anyone rode during Not so scary yet? Wife said the ride is pitch black with music playing and that it is awesome. I could see an easy refurb being slowly upgrade the track to make it less rickety, maybe new cars that are comfortable to someone over 5'2, and yeah, speakers on the headrests is a good idea.

I miss the arcade in the gift shop too- even if it was all big flying/driving simulators (and I miss the pinball machines) that'd be cool.

May as well turn the screens back on in line too- I guess the counter there is that when the line does move, and little Braxjayden doesn't want to move because he's playing fake asteroids, it can get a bit irritating.

I rode it during MNSSSHP and it is pitch black. Very weird, but exciting feeling.

Michael T

Based on the new exit queue, I don't think that we will see a new refurbishment for Space Mountain until about 6 years from now. However, when the time comes, they should really consider the following:
1. Get new track and expand the trains to 12 seats on each side.
It sounds very hard to do, but it is possible. This would double the capacity of the the attraction. I would suggest even getting new structural support in there as well.
2. Give the TTA something to actually look at.
Make it like the old days when you could see guests boarding the cars. The TTA now has virtually nothing to see. Get rid of that stupid dome and add new projections in the attraction so everybody can see something.
3. New on-ride music.
Would be easy for them to do with new ride vehicles. I don't want the same music as DL's SM. I want WDW's to be unique with the attraction.
4. The queue needs new effects.
Most likely they would use screens. However, I would choose anything but that. Bring in some cool cheap effects. The Haunted Mansion has plenty of cheap awesome effects. I am sure that they could do something other than a bunch of screens.
5. Make the cars glow again.
The cars should have glow in the dark effects like in the old days. It does not look cheesy. It looks cool.
6. Exit queue and gift shop.
Exit queue is fine. Gift shop needs a new design and should be a little smaller. They should stop selling the most generic Disney stuff and sell more Space Mountain, TTA, and Tomorrowland stuff. Make the exit like Exhibition Everest. Make it have great attraction merchandise and have a great new Tomorrowland look.

Trackmaster

Based on the new exit queue, I don't think that we will see a new refurbishment for Space Mountain until about 6 years from now. However, when the time comes, they should really consider the following:
1. Get new track and expand the trains to 12 seats on each side.
It sounds very hard to do, but it is possible. This would double the capacity of the the attraction. I would suggest even getting new structural support in there as well.
2. Give the TTA something to actually look at.
Make it like the old days when you could see guests boarding the cars. The TTA now has virtually nothing to see. Get rid of that stupid dome and add new projections in the attraction so everybody can see something.
3. New on-ride music.
Would be easy for them to do with new ride vehicles. I don't want the same music as DL's SM. I want WDW's to be unique with the attraction.
4. The queue needs new effects.
Most likely they would use screens. However, I would choose anything but that. Bring in some cool cheap effects. The Haunted Mansion has plenty of cheap awesome effects. I am sure that they could do something other than a bunch of screens.
5. Make the cars glow again.
The cars should have glow in the dark effects like in the old days. It does not look cheesy. It looks cool.
6. Exit queue and gift shop.
Exit queue is fine. Gift shop needs a new design and should be a little smaller. They should stop selling the most generic Disney stuff and sell more Space Mountain, TTA, and Tomorrowland stuff. Make the exit like Exhibition Everest. Make it have great attraction merchandise and have a great new Tomorrowland look.

Those are all good ideas. My stance is that the track should just be gutted, and they should start over which would make your idea beyond easy. For as much as Disney spends on attractions and rakes in from guests simply building two tracks isn't that cost consuming. Steel coasters don't lost forever and re-tracking them is pretty hard. You usually just have to get rid of them when they're past their service life. For wooden coasters, you can constantly re-track them (removing portions of the track and support and re-building them in the off-season).

The cost of razing the track and supports and building a new track would be a small fraction of the cost of an entire new attraction.

Michael T

Those are all good ideas. My stance is that the track should just be gutted, and they should start over which would make your idea beyond easy. For as much as Disney spends on attractions and rakes in from guests simply building two tracks isn't that cost consuming. Steel coasters don't lost forever and re-tracking them is pretty hard. You usually just have to get rid of them when they're past their service life. For wooden coasters, you can constantly re-track them (removing portions of the track and support and re-building them in the off-season).

The cost of razing the track and supports and building a new track would be a small fraction of the cost of an entire new attraction.
The only problem is that Disney doesn't like to throw money at something that is not IP.

Trackmaster

The only problem is that Disney doesn't like to throw money at something that is not IP.

Didn't they throw $300M at Test Track? That's the most ever spent on a ride in history. They could easily make Space Mountain great by clearing out the existing track and building a whole new track in less than $15M I think. I think that Chance would be a great candidate to make the new track. They're mostly known for making kiddie coasters and flat rides, but check how what they did with Lightning Run:

https://rcdb.com/7982.htm

They can make cheap, compact coasters that are very cheap but are also literally world class too. I've been on 318 different coasters, and Lightning Run is in my top 25. The coaster drops you at 80 degrees (with ejector air off the drop), hugs the ground the entire ride, has ejector air all over the ride, an overbanked turn, and almost Maverick-like quick back and forth banking. I think that its the kind of designer that would work very well with Disney and the fun for the whole family market.

Yert3

I hate the queue games. What happened to the good old days of no queue games and no fast passes and an hour plus long wait and the anticipation while having to actually connect with those in your party.

Surely I'm alone on this one
They’re gone, thankfully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom