Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

RobbinsDad

Not asked of me and I don’t post often, but your question and this thread got me thinking.

My first visit was 1987 with my parents. They Were. Blown. Away. It was also NYE and the park was spotless. We made *same day* dinnner reservations at Coral Reef through Communicore. The park was magical.

Returned again for first time in 2003 with my husband. Obviously, much changed, some the same. He Was. Blown. Away. There was something everywhere, and even though Imagination was a shell of its former self, it was cute for the first time. Mission:Space had just opened for previews and became our favorite attraction. We became regulars.

25+ trips since then, and I really have to force myself with the park. We intentionally go during a festival just to be entertained. The Showcase pavilions are more walk-past than walk-through except for a couple of attractions and a meal or a snack. We go about every 9-15 months, so something has generally changed - occasionally for the better (Soarin’), usually for the worse.

Something has to be done. I’m a historian by avocation and I get what the old Epcot was though I only had about 15 hours of it over two days. I appreciate that, but if they can’t (won’t) maintain that, they have to do something or shutter the place.

As a Disney fan (moderator on a major DVC site) I understand what’s going on, what the fan base feels, wha Disney was and has become, but I’m at the point where if it is at least coherent and entertaining, I’m down for it. Maybe that speaks of my desperation, I don’t know.

But I do appreciate your posts and those of others who keep pointing what should be. My only hope is that it doesn’t become tilting at windmills, but keeping Disney honest instead. To the extent that any of us can.

Now, back to lurking.

Dirk
Well said lurker. :) Most of us grieve for the Epcot we once knew. But we are also waaaaay past ready for Disney to move on with some concrete Future World plans, whatever they are, rather than continue to see the Communicore/Innoventions/Wonders of Life ruins every time we visit. My continued hope is that WDI is saving its best ideas for FW as a way to continue the spirit of innovation. Maybe GOTG will be the most innovative coaster in the world. It's possible.

tirian

That’s why they’re building a four minute lowest common denominator hot IP rollercoaster.

Short term gains. Misguided long term.
which will still be better than the crap that is there now. I'll take the short term gains.

Or we could’ve had a groundbreaking set of atttactions parkwide—if Disney chose to be cutting-edge again.

Every EPCOT Center FW pavilion was a gem at its time, but TBH, the park had one (or two) too many “slow-moving dark rides.” But today, something like the HM, POTC, or SSE is fully immersive in a way that nobody else can successfully pull off. With modern tech, an old-fashioned storytelling approach could be innovative again.

Innoventions should have been a place for CES and E3 booths to live for a few months after the big tech shows. Guests could’ve gawked at cutting-edge tech and video games that weren’t yet available but actually WOULD exist in the near future. I guess that was too obvious for Disney.

tirian

Not asked of me and I don’t post often, but your question and this thread got me thinking.

My first visit was 1987 with my parents. They Were. Blown. Away. It was also NYE and the park was spotless. We made *same day* dinnner reservations at Coral Reef through Communicore. The park was magical.

Returned again for first time in 2003 with my husband. Obviously, much changed, some the same. He Was. Blown. Away. There was something everywhere, and even though Imagination was a shell of its former self, it was cute for the first time. Mission:Space had just opened for previews and became our favorite attraction. We became regulars.

25+ trips since then, and I really have to force myself with the park. We intentionally go during a festival just to be entertained. The Showcase pavilions are more walk-past than walk-through except for a couple of attractions and a meal or a snack. We go about every 9-15 months, so something has generally changed - occasionally for the better (Soarin’), usually for the worse.

Something has to be done. I’m a historian by avocation and I get what the old Epcot was though I only had about 15 hours of it over two days. I appreciate that, but if they can’t (won’t) maintain that, they have to do something or shutter the place. Somebody else posted here that Epcot was now their least favorite park. One DHS is a little more ready for prime time, I may have to agree, and that is absoluely not what Epcot should have ever become.

As a Disney fan (moderator on a major DVC site) I understand what’s going on, what the fan base feels, what Disney was and has become, but I’m at the point where if it is at least coherent and entertaining, I’m down for it. Maybe that speaks of my desperation, I don’t know. I look forward with anticipation, but also well aware it could be disappointing.

But I do appreciate your posts and those of others who keep pointing what should be. My only hope is that it doesn’t become tilting at windmills, but keeping Disney honest instead. To the extent that any of us can.

Now, back to lurking.

Dirk
I find myself slowly developing a similar opinion. I think the boring Nemo dark ride and lackluster Three Caballeros/Frozen rides demonstrate how the answer is not necessarily IP. Epcot shouldn’t be the Magic Kingdom Part II.

But as it exists now, Epcot is mostly outdated. In the 80s, small-minded people complained EPCOT Center was boring, but plenty of guests loved it. Today, it’s little more than a massive (overpriced) food court with remnants of the 80s and 90s, laced with a few really good attractions and a whole lot of mediocrity.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Meh. I'm over the debates. Epcot is the worst Disney park in the world right now so anything to give it some kind of life is welcome. You know its bad when DHS, with its small ride count, is the preferred park over Epcot for me right now.

That is a stretch. But I do agree. Epcot is an unfortunate tragedy. Even with the upcoming enhancements, epcot still needs work. Test track and mission space are an embarrassing. Spaceship earth is tragic. What saves epcot truly is world showcase. But in no way is it worth the price. I often see people walking around epcot in boredom.

Hollywood Studios is only passable because it's a smaller park. But with 2 major e tickets and acceptable shows it's been upgraded. Now when star wars opens, it's a wrap. It will see or significantly surpass pandora. No I do not consider toy story land or rides e ticket.

Animal kingdom is perfect. Just enough attractions to be able to enjoy the beauty of the park. While Pandora enhances the park and it is astetically pretty it's not spectacular. The water ride is an embarrassment. Flight to passage is an upgraded soarin.

I wonder what do first time guests say about these 3 parks?

BrianLo

Who ever said Epcot was the worst park in the world hasn’t been to all the parks. Epcot lacks rides and direction in half it’s park however the WS is incredible and unique to any other park. Not to mention one of the most beautiful.

Totally... but a VERY strong argument could be made that EPCOT is on the precipice of falling out of the top ten. So while the worst is a bit hyperbolic, the bottom three is pretty devastating for a park that for a decade or so was the crown jewel of the portfolio.

I totally disagree with people who’d rather just cross their fingers and hope for a return to form. We’ve been doing that for the last two decades. Shiney is actually better than nothing, for once.

World_Showcase_Lover007

The Showcase pavilions are more walk-past than walk-through except for a couple of attractions and a meal or a snack. Dirk

This has been my issue since day one: too many of the pavilions are simply shops and restaurants. Given the money and effort it took to build them, there’s no reason why they shouldnt all have an attraction (ride or film), even if it is a retro upgrade.

They could also put in exhibits like they do in the Stave church in Norway. But no, it’s just soccer jerseys, Worther’s candies and Beatles shirts.

Haymarket2008

Something has to be done. I’m a historian by avocation and I get what the old Epcot was though I only had about 15 hours of it over two days. I appreciate that, but if they can’t (won’t) maintain that, they have to do something or shutter the place. Somebody else posted here that Epcot was now their least favorite park. One DHS is a little more ready for prime time, I may have to agree, and that is absoluely not what Epcot should have ever become.

As a Disney fan (moderator on a major DVC site) I understand what’s going on, what the fan base feels, what Disney was and has become, but I’m at the point where if it is at least coherent and entertaining, I’m down for it. Maybe that speaks of my desperation, I don’t know. I look forward with anticipation, but also well aware it could be disappointing.

Now, back to lurking.

Dirk

THIS. I’m a huge Epcot purist, but cohesion of some kind must happen. And fast.

draybook

We skipped Epcot on our first trip in 2008 because we didn't think the kids *8 and 7) would enjoy the educational fun. It's absolutely my favorite park. I have seen all of the videos of the past attractions but I'm totally bummed that I never got to experience them.

eliza61nyc

That's like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. It's not going to solve the problem and may actually make things worse.

Hearing this track reminds me of just how far the park has fallen in just the past 15 years or so. It was already screwed up by the mid 2000s, but it was still salvageable at that point. If they ever attempt to "fix" EPCOT now, it would be a massive pain for most guests for a few years. If they had taken care of the park properly, it could have evolved with the times and remained relevant without a single movie character in sight.

I'll take the band aid. The problem with your analogy and what you folks are forgetting is that there is no going back. Disney is not going to do what you (general use of term) want. There will be no 10 minute ride spectacular. there will be NO going back to the original concept. a few post back some one used the word "cutting" edge, that made me laugh so hard I almost snorted coke (the drink) up my nose. lol. This is a serious question, Do you really think Disney is going to put the time, talent or money into Innoventions???

So the correct analogy would be putting a tourniquet on the wound or doing nothing and letting it die. Innoventions is died for all intense purposes.

Exactly how can it be worst?? currently it's an empty building that smells with a character meet and greet in the front. It's not attractive, actually ugly inside, I've been in there where folks mistook it for a warehouse and I always see folks wandering around trying to figure out what it is.

Now I totally agree with the bolded IF they had done all that the parks probably wouldn't be in this mess but they didn't. So why do nothing and let it rot more? Yes, I would much prefer to have a corny IP 4 minute ride, so yep I'll take the band aid rather than dying. I just don't get the "wishing" mentality when Disney has shown over the last say 10 years what they are willing to do.

Last edited:

DznyRktekt

I'll take the band aid. The problem with your analogy and what you folks are forgetting is that there is no going back. Disney is not going to do what you (general use of term) want. There will be no 10 minute ride spectacular. there will be NO going back to the original concept. a few post back some one used the word "cutting" edge, that made me laugh so hard I almost snorted coke (the drink) up my nose. lol. This is a serious question, Do you really think Disney is going to put the time, talent or money into innovations???

So the correct analogy would be putting a tourniquet on the wound or doing nothing and letting it die. Innovations is died for all intense purposes.

Exactly how can it be worst?? currently it's an empty building that smells with a character meet and greet in the front. It's not attractive, actually ugly inside, I've been in there where folks mistook it for a warehouse and I always see folks wandering around trying to figure out what it is.

Now I totally agree with the bolded IF they had done all that the parks probably wouldn't be in this mess but they didn't. So why do nothing and let it rot more? Yes, I would much prefer to have a corny IP 4 minute ride, so yep I'll take the band aid rather than dying. I just don't get the "wishing" mentality when Disney has shown over the last say 10 years what they are willing to do.
Many here call it Innoventions for all intents and purposes. But potato potato i guess.

Missing20K

you really would prefer the park to die (and close, end result)?? ok. nothing I can say to that.
Huh? Pretty sure this thread, and I perhaps mistakenly assumed your comment, is about Innoventions. And in that case, yes, I would much prefer they just tear it down and start over, than a "band-aid" piecemeal "solution" of meet-n-greets, playgrounds, and the like.

I was also attempting to be a bit esoteric but....
giphy.gif

mikejs78

Premium Member
I kind of come out in the middle of all this. Yes, I loved the golden age of Epcot Center. Yes, I think they could have done a modern version of that if they really wanted to. But since neither of those are happening, I'm hoping that they do something, but not just anything. I want there to be cohesion in the park's theme, like there is at MK, AK, and (somewhat) DHS.. All three of those parks have very different feels. I don't want Epcot to become MK 2.0. That doesn't mean that I object to IP being used (I don't when it's done well) but I don't want the IP to become the focus of Epcot.

I don't even think that Future World needs to stay Edutainment in the strictest sense of that word. What I do wish, and hope, is that Epcot can somehow again become inspirational. Inspiring people is really what I think Epcot is all about, and that can be done without in-your-face edutainment. Attractions should be grounded in something real-world, and somehow inspire people. If the stories they tell and the attractions they build can continue to do that, I'd be very happy with the Epcot overhaul. Unfortunately, I don't think that's what they are going for....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom