News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

SuddenStorm

I'm not a fan of the castle overlays- the holiday and anniversary ones all look ridiculous, like a kid in an oversized coat, or like adding jewelry to the Mona Lisa. The old Christmas trees were tasteful and didn't distract from the castle.

But I guess I shouldn't complain, since it could be worse- Hong Kong had this abomination on their castle:

1547102448810.png

Dr.GrantSeeker

I'm not a fan of the castle overlays- the holiday and anniversary ones all look ridiculous, like a kid in an oversized coat, or like adding jewelry to the Mona Lisa. The old Christmas trees were tasteful and didn't distract from the castle.

But I guess I shouldn't complain, since it could be worse- Hong Kong had this abomination on their castle:

View attachment 339937

You want to talk about an abomination?
Did you forget about this?
s-l1600-2.jpg

Source: Own the magic

Figments Friend

I agree.
A subtle, subdued 'pink' looks better to me.
Closer to the more 'traditional' look of the Castle, but with a appealing little pink blush of color.

I remember during a recent repaint it just seemed far too cotton candy colored.
When the pink paint is slightly faded it looks better to my eyes.
Too pink and all i can think of is cake frosting....

-

nevol

That's SUCH a bummer for our trip. I'm not mad at Disney just sad that we won't get the pics we want or be able to go through it and really see it.
You aren't missing anything. From the back half of the hub and beyond, the view is exactly the same. Those walls are only the height of people. It is only if you stand right next to the wall that you can't see over it.

nevol

I agree.
A subtle, subdued 'pink' looks better to me.
Closer to the more 'traditional' look of the Castle, but with a appealing little pink blush of color.

I remember during a recent repaint it just seemed far too cotton candy colored.
When the pink paint is slightly faded it looks better to my eyes.
Too pink and all i can think of is cake frosting....

-
The new paint job will enhance forced perspective and apply atmospheric fading to the turrets despite their proximity. Darker stones at the bottom fading to lighter stones, whereas before, the 1.5 stories of stone at ground level and below/near the moat were all a variation of colors at the individual stone level but flat overall. This should make the view from up close more interesting, literally giving us something new to look at as we look down toward the moat. The front of the castle will be pink while the tallest and farthest turrets will now be more white. I'm looking forward to the result.

Figments Friend

The new paint job will enhance forced perspective and apply atmospheric fading to the turrets despite their proximity. Darker stones at the bottom fading to lighter stones, whereas before, the 1.5 stories of stone at ground level and below/near the moat were all a variation of colors at the individual stone level but flat overall. This should make the view from up close more interesting, literally giving us something new to look at as we look down toward the moat. The front of the castle will be pink while the tallest and farthest turrets will now be more white. I'm looking forward to the result.

Sounds appealing.
Thanks for the descriptive information.
I'm interested to see how it all turns out.
:)

-

VJ

Where did this description come from? Very interesting.

nevol

Where did this description come from? Very interesting.
I wrote it... based on looking at the concept art they put on the wall in front of the castle. Even the roof shingles will fade to lighter blue at the top to make the turrets appear taller/farther away. To see the difference less gradually, compare the darkest blue shingles at the lowest area of the roof, right by the bricks, to the blue used on the tallest turret on the castle, that is far more gray.

If you look back at the color schemes in the past, in past concept art, and in hong kong, never has Sleeping Beauty Castle had such drastic contrast in service to its forced perspective. Higher saturations/contrast in the foreground and at the ground. 3 shades of pink, with the deepest in the center foreground, mid-saturation to the left, and least saturated on the tallest/farthest spire.

Last edited:

VJ

I wrote it... based on looking at the concept art they put on the wall in front of the castle. Even the roof shingles will fade to lighter blue at the top to make the turrets appear taller/farther away. To see the difference less gradually, compare the darkest blue shingles at the lowest area of the roof, right by the bricks, to the blue used on the tallest turret on the castle, that is far more gray.

If you look back at the color schemes in the past, in past concept art, and in hong kong, never has Sleeping Beauty Castle had such drastic contrast in service to its forced perspective. Higher saturations/contrast in the foreground and at the ground. 3 shades of pink, with the deepest in the center foreground, mid-saturation to the left, and least saturated on the tallest/farthest spire.
Ah. I thought you had heard something about their plans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom