Indiana Jones Land?

ToTBellHop

The one style ride Disney is currently lacking is the big-boat splashdown style ride (see Jurassic Park). An Indy duck boat ride with a big splash at the end (DHS currently has no water attractions) would be awesome.
Yes, but in every park with one of those, guests complain at how drenched you get, and unlike Splash or Kali, the level of “splash” can’t be toned down in the winter. Pirates and FEA are in the same ride family but work due to the drops being small. I swear I get wetter on Pirates with the new boats however. Wetter than Splash some days!

Regardless, I agree that DHS needs a water ride and Indy would be a great vessel.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not sure that is the best choice. As has been said above, it's a small and pretty low budget coaster (yes I've ridden it) with a nominal overlay to link it to Indiana Jones. It's a very tightly wrapped coaster from a footprint standpoint and while it has more traditional coaster 'trains' the ride itself is a lot more like a wild mouse type of coaster. I definitely do not see it as a worthy successor to Stunt Show.

I'd agree. Theming in the queue is good, but once the coaster starts... it's a pretty nondescript wild mouse type of coaster. I can't see them bringing that over to the US without serious changes to the ride.

DinoInstitute

Having the same ride system and being a clone are completely different things
As are just being the same ride system and literally sharing the exact layout. They certainly are different experiences, but there’s no doubt there would also be a lot of obvious redundancy with them being in the same resort.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
How about the roller coaster from Disneyland Paris? Is that any good? I just have a hard time seeing them add what is essentially Dinosaur to another park that's 5 minutes away.

Great for Adventureland. Good for DHS. In both instances the coaster would balance out another area of the park. In Adventureland it would serve to offset Tomorrowland. In DHS, Sunset Blvd and SWGE. Given the two locales; I'd rather it go to Adventureland. The weak-themed Indy coaster won't be enough for DHS (not without supporting C attractions) I just hope whatever TDO ultimately decides, they give DHS an Indy expansion the likes of which have never been seen before in the history of themeparkdom. And preferably a water ride!

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

What really is frustrating is there are great ways to add the franchise to 3 of the 4 parks in very interesting ways.

Why not all three I say?
I’d go as far to say Indy can work in any of the parks. It’s so incredibly frustrating that this is really the only IP I can think of that could be added somewhere nobody would get upset at. They also tied him into the S.E.A. lore, so all of the attractions with connections to S.E.A. actually exist in the Indiana Jones universe, and if I remember correctly there’s a reference to Indy on the bulliten board inside Skipper Canteen. It’s a natural fit for the parks.

#BringIndyToWDW

Fox&Hound

There are plans. Always, there are plans and pitches and whiteboards and blue skies.

But no greenlighting. Not yet.

I can understand this from a $$$ perspective, but once Star Wars and Mickey come on board, it will be obvious that DHS still needs more to help with crowd control. I sincerely hope that the Disney execs and imagineers are hard at work on one new E-ticket and some show replacements for B&B and Mermaid so that once they are given the greenlight they can hit the ground running. I hope that involves Indy. I'd like to think the new Cars show is mostly so they can take down Mermaid or B&B once it debuts. Wishful thinking?

jt04

I can understand this from a $$$ perspective, but once Star Wars and Mickey come on board, it will be obvious that DHS still needs more to help with crowd control. I sincerely hope that the Disney execs and imagineers are hard at work on one new E-ticket and some show replacements for B&B and Mermaid so that once they are given the greenlight they can hit the ground running. I hope that involves Indy. I'd like to think the new Cars show is mostly so they can take down Mermaid or B&B once it debuts. Wishful thinking?

Not entirely. But I think RSR is a better fit. Test Track is down too often due to weather. So trading it for the much more immersive RSR would be a huge win. 🏁

Skibum1970

Yes, but in every park with one of those, guests complain at how drenched you get, and unlike Splash or Kali, the level of “splash” can’t be toned down in the winter. Pirates and FEA are in the same ride family but work due to the drops being small. I swear I get wetter on Pirates with the new boats however. Wetter than Splash some days!

Regardless, I agree that DHS needs a water ride and Indy would be a great vessel.

Sadly, I'm one of those who detest getting soaked. Splash Mountain got me pretty good one time on the water jet before the second outdoor lift. Jurassic Park just nailed me a year ago. I was still soggy several hours afterward. I love the boat rides but not when I'm getting drenched.

Marc Davis Fan

Indiana Jones 5's performance will help us determine the level of public interest in the franchise, especially among the demographics that Disney is aiming for at the parks. But of course, the production of the film already indicates that Disney's research has determined a high demand for the franchise. So the biggest question is the demographics... which presumably skew older for Indiana Jones than Disney's main target for the parks. But maybe the new film will excite younger audiences (which is surely one of Disney's goals for it).

That said, I actually think that one of the main benefits of an Indiana Jones area (even if only a "mini-land") would be the difference in aesthetic/tone compared to the rest of DHS. It would presumably take place in some kind of forest or jungle, so plants and trees would be a dominant aesthetic - something we don't see elsewhere at DHS (including SWGE, which seems to be closer to a desert-type setting).

Although a boat-based attraction would also contribute to the eclecticism of DHS's attraction lineup, if they wanted something "faster," IJA has shown incredible staying power as a top-tier attraction for over 20 years at Disneyland (although I prefer the DisneySea version, because the Disneyland version relies a little but too much on blacklights against 2-dimensional backdrops, but presumably a WDW version would be "modernized," so I'm not worried about those issues with the Disneyland version being copied). Adding a version of the Paris roller coaster / Raging Spirits (or a more kid-friendly, non-inverting version of the same) would make it a really solid mini-land.

...unlike Splash or Kali, the level of “splash” can’t be toned down in the winter.

I know Grizzly River Run at DCA has two "wetness" settings that they switch between depending on the temperature, but I've never heard the same about Kali (seems likely that it's possible for them to do, since they're both standard Intamin designs). Do we know for sure that they actually do this with Kali? And if so, do we know if it's dependent on the day's actual temperature, dependent on the time of day, or dependent on the season? I've always thought it was unfortunate that Kali gets a few people absolutely drenched; it would seem more fun with a lighter amount of water, like Splash or like GRR during the "low" setting.

rle4lunch

With three drops, right?

sadly...
XS5LK.gif

Kamikaze

It would presumably take place in some kind of forest or jungle, so plants and trees would be a dominant aesthetic - something we don't see elsewhere at DHS (including SWGE, which seems to be closer to a desert-type setting).

Batuu was a temperate planet, one covered with forests and mountains, that was located on the edge of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories. The planet was known for its many towering petrified trees, with those spires becoming landmarks for settlers. The world was the location of Black Spire Outpost that became a haven for those looking to avoid attracting too much attention to themselves.

Marc Davis Fan

Batuu was a temperate planet, one covered with forests and mountains, that was located on the edge of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories. The planet was known for its many towering petrified trees, with those spires becoming landmarks for settlers. The world was the location of Black Spire Outpost that became a haven for those looking to avoid attracting too much attention to themselves.

The concept art and model do not show much vegetation, though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom