Trip Report The Holiday Humdinger *COMPLETED*

I can't believe the Summer of @Tuvalu is over! Is there going to be a holiday humdinger trip report?!!

I couldn’t disappoint a very expectant mama-to-be, now could I? Especially one who was kind enough to provide the title for this trip report!

So here you go, @krisri18......and anyone else who’d like to follow along on yet another Tuvalu WDW adventure, HOLIDAY STYLE.

I plan on posting live updates and will write an expanded report (“Part Tu” @Tony the Tigger 😊) once I return home. After all, what else will I have to do in December? 😉😂

Who: Tuvalu and Woody

56D313FD-2A11-4060-AB49-F55EC4FE0F82.jpeg

When: November 27 - December 3, 2018
Where: I shouldn’t even have to tell you. My 🎄go-to.

So be on the lookout for us, @DisneyShe, @slipperalwaysfits @mcstensrud. We’ve packed our sweaters and jeans for the chilly weekdays (highs only near 60, lows in the 40s ~ WTH??) and our shorts and tees for the unseasonably warm weekend (highs in the 80s). Yeah, that 30 degree temperature swing isn’t going to help the colds Woody and I are starting with.....

But we’re going to DISNEY WORLD!!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
What did I say about Resort-themed trees?

0581EF86-ADD0-4941-9B26-45EF1011A7E9.jpeg

Where are we now? 😉

Hello chocolate carousel!

1C51780F-F17B-44DE-9E09-DBB178DCF7BE.jpeg

B03F4256-F0D6-479D-A295-8952D9D86286.jpeg

5E0B9450-2A84-493D-8EA8-5235818B637C.jpeg

9E6D5C6E-D56D-4C7E-9483-7E31CC6A72DC.jpeg

D0642D63-B874-45BE-863B-4102B5E92F72.jpeg

Beautiful, isn’t it?

The three of us were quite thirsty so we popped into the BC Marketplace for some bottled water. Then we crossed the hall into the Solarium to rest our feet as we rehydrated.

We sat for awhile and discussed what was next. I looked across the room and noticed the bench under the window where Em and I had consumed our chicken sammies after we got chased from the pool due to rain last July. How quickly those 4+ months had passed!

I asked Em to take a picture of where we had sat. Apparently she didn’t feel like getting up because this was the result:
1014617B-85F8-46E3-AB74-2D3F56DDCEDF.jpeg

Refreshed, we were ready to carry on. Well, Em and I were. Woody had no interest in accompanying us, so he returned to WL and said he would meet us at dinner.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
Well, three of them did. The little boy looks petrified!

That would be my reaction if I rode it. I don’t like inversions.

We ended up on the first bench seat inside. The boat filled to capacity and was standing room only. I watched a woman board the boat barefoot. She must have been walking around barefoot for awhile as the bottoms of her feet were filthy. As soon as our skipper boarded the boat he noticed Barefoot Lady. She was quite “put out” when he asked her to put on her shoes.

Why, why, why would someone do that? There’s a difference between walking barefoot in your own yard and barefoot at Disney.

MickeyCB

Em wanted to photograph the Christmas stuff before leaving Toy Story Land.

View attachment 340983

This cracked us up.
View attachment 340982

Em: “I want these!”
View attachment 340984

Woody: “Let me take your picture instead.”
View attachment 340985

Reindeer Rex!
View attachment 340986

Em is certain she made a macaroni ornament in elementary school. (Who hasn’t? :joyfull:)
View attachment 340987
Ahh, tell Em thank you for the beautiful Christmas decoration pictures. We were there the week before Christmas, and I didn't see the Pig or the macaroni ornament. So cute!

Tony the Tigger

What did I say about Resort-themed trees?

View attachment 341308
Where are we now? 😉

Hello chocolate carousel!

View attachment 341302

View attachment 341303

View attachment 341304

View attachment 341305

View attachment 341306
Beautiful, isn’t it?

The three of us were quite thirsty so we popped into the BC Marketplace for some bottled water. Then we crossed the hall into the Solarium to rest our feet as we rehydrated.

We sat for awhile and discussed what was next. I looked across the room and noticed the bench under the window where Em and I had consumed our chicken sammies after we got chased from the pool due to rain last July. How quickly those 4+ months had passed!

I asked Em to take a picture of where we had sat. Apparently she didn’t feel like getting up because this was the result:
View attachment 341307

Refreshed, we were ready to carry on. Well, Em and I were. Woody had no interest in accompanying us, so he returned to WL and said he would meet us at dinner.

Hmm...I wonder if those are still up. I know AK is still decked out.

Spash007

So the keenz - you summed up my feelings exactly. They just make me angry. We actually saw quite a few in the parks as well that somehow got past security and were allowed in. They're all the rage on so many facebook groups, with people claiming that if you are stopped, ask for a manager who knows the rules that they are allowed since they can be pushed. All I want to say is "why??". Even if you're an inconsiderate jerk, why would you want to lug one of things around? A stroller is tough enough through the crowds! I'm sure a double stroller could be worse for people with two kids, but look at that extension on the back of the one! It's like an F150 towing a camper!

On a related note - that Elliott's behavior was absolutely inappropriate, and for his mom to actually say that is baffling to me. I completely get that small kids get tired, but we all do. Parents are the ones who decided to have their kids, and it's not yours, or anyone else's, responsibility to be burdened by them. If your kid is so tired and you feel like they're justified in not standing, then pick them up.

Sorry for the rant. It's just so frustrating when any of us are trying to be as considerate as possible run into people like this. It's not usually the kids that are the problem, it's the parents! (Am I allowed to say that?)

riverside

She must have been walking around barefoot for awhile as the bottoms of her feet were filthy. As soon as our skipper boarded the boat he noticed Barefoot Lady. She was quite “put out” when he asked her to put on her shoes.
That is nothing short of disgusting.
It's not usually the kids that are the problem, it's the parents! (Am I allowed to say that?)
Isn't that the truth.....

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Why, why, why would someone do that? There’s a difference between walking barefoot in your own yard and barefoot at Disney.
:hungover:

Hmm...I wonder if those are still up. I know AK is still decked out.
Didja check? 😉

I'm sure a double stroller could be worse for people with two kids, but look at that extension on the back of the one! It's like an F150 towing a camper!

It's not usually the kids that are the problem, it's the parents!
Amen!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

We left Beach Club on a mission to see THE MAN. It was a warm walk to the International Gateway. I still couldn’t believe the temperature was 35 degrees colder only a few days ago!

The Friendship Boats were out of service today for gondola work.
11948DBC-B220-4BC9-976E-4B707E2FB648.jpeg

Em needed to stop at Guest Relations for her AP renewal discount card.
37BC44C4-6983-45E3-9856-3DAEAA57D10D.jpeg

We entered Epcot and turned right over the bridge towards France. We passed a gal wearing a shirt that Em thought was perfect:
I Speak French (fries)

Like yesterday, the Promenade was busy. There was already a long line of folks who had reserved seating for the Candlelight Processional from their dining package.....two hours before showtime! Geesh, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the dining package? Em and I waited less time and got a seat, without having to pay the ridiculous upcharge for a meal.

As we joined the standby line I wondered how many guests were there for the Processional and how many were there solely for John Stamos. We were in the Stamos camp. :inlove:

57759EB4-12B2-47AD-8C3B-543A660C3718.jpeg

We’d been waiting for about 30 minutes when suddenly there was excitement in the crowd. We looked over to see THE MAN himself, waving to his adoring fans. He was still in his street clothes and was on his way behind the scenes.

It was a nice break in the boredom of standing still.

About 4:50 pm they began allowing standby guests into the theater. We knew we’d get a seat as a CM had walked by us earlier and assured us we would. We weren’t even picky about location since after 105 minutes of standing we just wanted to sit down!

We were pleased with this view.
6332A4A1-644E-47E8-B9BF-9CEF5412FE9A.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Something I did not notice until I saw the following pictures were the changes in the backdrop lighting during the performance. I guess my eyes were focused on something else. :angelic:

049C6EF0-C759-42B2-95FF-612CE6B99925.jpeg

When Stamos was introduced, the crowd went wild. It seemed a little ironic at such a solemn, reverent event.

C87EEEBA-846E-408C-A51C-5B742F143FA3.jpeg

As John was doing his opening “I’m so glad to be here” monologue, he was suddenly distracted and said, “Oh hey, NPH!” with a little wave.

Seems Neil Patrick Harris was in the audience with us! (NPH was narrator the following night.)

61029C47-C9A1-46CA-9186-6A206156EE68.jpeg

Stamos sincerely enjoyed his role as narrator. He was humble and almost star-struck by the orchestra and choir. He even had a few dance moves during the upbeat songs and flat-out BOOGIED during Rejoice With Exceeding Great Joy (When They Saw the Star.)

4411CB2D-7486-488D-BB66-D775BAB4E7F5.jpeg

Well done, Uncle Jesse!

So Em and I got to share another memorable experience in the America Gardens Theater (though DSB will always be my #1!)

The sunset was breathtaking as we headed out of the park. We had a dinner ADR to make!
4BA14A71-AE25-43E5-B484-670CA4F6EA44.jpeg

We saw this festive family waiting in the monorail station.
9F402B6C-BC13-4513-90C0-59AD0DB018C5.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I beat Woody to our dinner destination.

8CB060D0-681B-47ED-9166-EB0A38651250.jpeg

We could not check in until he arrived, which was a few minutes past our ADR time. We got paged immediately and were led to the same 3-top table we always get stuck with at ‘Ohana ~ awkwardly in the aisle, across from the kitchen. I hate this table but did not fuss since it was Em’s birthday.

Before our server even arrived we had our bread, salad and appetizers ~ not because our server was slow or delayed, but because a runner literally dumped our food on the table as we sat down. This pretty much set the tone for the meal...rush, rush, RUSH!

BA2BF42A-C1FD-44FC-9D95-8383BB1805A8.jpeg

C7331EDD-3C1F-411A-955C-C77122C3C578.jpeg

3C719B12-59A1-4E06-A2E0-C658BB0C18A4.jpeg

What made it especially ironic was that it looked like geriatric servers night at ‘Ohana. We didn’t see anyone working who was under AARP-age. So when the first skewer arrived before our drinks I wanted to scream, “SLOW DOWN!”

Our server wasn’t overly friendly and was bothered that we did not want any shrimp. She kept forcing the meats on us, as if she feared we were going hungry. (No, we would like a moment to digest our food, thank you!) The food itself was fine, though the Polynesian Twilight Feast Woody and I had delivered to our room in August was better.

Our plates were cleared and Em was surprised by the second cupcake of the day.
98E9D84A-D534-41F2-B0B6-8C38757ED42B.jpeg

We did not sing this time.

Knowing Em doesn’t share cupcakes 😉, Woody and I dived into the bread pudding.

6DE10937-5B81-4EB6-AEF8-32E8B9635DC7.jpeg

Like @LisaBelle, I’m not in a rush to return to ‘Ohana. While we’ve had some good meals over the years, more often we’ve come away, meh. And ‘Ohana is much too expensive for meh.

We took the monorail to the MK and were happy to find a bus waiting to whisk us back to the Lodge.

For the last time from our balcony.....Holiday Wishes.
006FCA8E-4332-4485-B4D6-B43B25C11CA4.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Like @LisaBelle, I’m not in a rush to return to ‘Ohana. While we’ve had some good meals over the years, more often we’ve come away, meh. And ‘Ohana is much too expensive for meh.

Well that's disappointing. They have a nice restaurant there, but if they're cramming way too many parties in, the staff gets overwhelmed, and guests won't be able to relax. :banghead: And like you said, it's not like these are QS prices either.

wdwfamilynh

Em and I beat Woody to our dinner destination.

View attachment 341500

We could not check in until he arrived, which was a few minutes past our ADR time. We got paged immediately and were led to the same 3-top table we always get stuck with at ‘Ohana ~ awkwardly in the aisle, across from the kitchen. I hate this table but did not fuss since it was Em’s birthday.

Before our server even arrived we had our bread, salad and appetizers ~ not because our server was slow or delayed, but because a runner literally dumped our food on the table as we sat down. This pretty much set the tone for the meal...rush, rush, RUSH!

View attachment 341501

View attachment 341502

View attachment 341503

What made it especially ironic was that it looked like geriatric servers night at ‘Ohana. We didn’t see anyone working who was under AARP-age. So when the first skewer arrived before our drinks I wanted to scream, “SLOW DOWN!”

Our server wasn’t overly friendly and was bothered that we did not want any shrimp. She kept forcing the meats on us, as if she feared we were going hungry. (No, we would like a moment to digest our food, thank you!) The food itself was fine, though the Polynesian Twilight Feast Woody and I had delivered to our room in August was better.

Our plates were cleared and Em was surprised by the second cupcake of the day.
View attachment 341504
We did not sing this time.

Knowing Em doesn’t share cupcakes 😉, Woody and I dived into the bread pudding.

View attachment 341505

We took the monorail to the MK and were happy to find a bus waiting to whisk us back to the Lodge.

For the last time from our balcony.....Holiday Wishes.
View attachment 341499
Well, you (along with others whose TRs I’ve read in just the past few days) have solidified our decision to NOT book an ADR at O’hana later this year.

93boomer

Premium Member
Our server noticed Em’s shirt right away and asked why she wasn’t wearing a Birthday pin.

“I didn’t get one,” said Em.

When Em ordered her Mama’s Margarita, our server took note of Em’s name on her DL. When she brought us our bread, she handed Em the Birthday pin she’d personalized for her.

View attachment 341255

The rolls at Mama Melrose’s are so yummy....soft, warm and chewy. Dipped in seasoned olive oil makes them even better!

View attachment 341247

I always like to take pictures of menus so I can compare from year to year (or in some cases, month to month!:joyfull:)

View attachment 341246

Birthday Girl feasted on Wood-Grilled Chicken and Penne Pasta. As always, a generous portion.

View attachment 341250

Carnivore Woody selected Veggie Polenta (Polenta Cake, Mushroom and Herb Cauliflower.) It was delicious!

View attachment 341249

After sampling both Woody and Em’s entreés, I had a little buyer’s remorse over my Margherita Flatbread.

View attachment 341251
I enjoyed it, though it had too much fresh basil for my taste and the tomatoes lacked flavor.

When we’d finished, our server surprised Em yet again with a Birthday cupcake.

View attachment 341252
And yes, we sang to her!

It was a special “meatball” cupcake!
View attachment 341253

View attachment 341254

It must have been a great-tasting cupcake because Em ate it all!

Birthday lunch was a success.....and she didn’t even miss PizzeRizzo. (Okay, maybe not this trip ~ but she will the next!)
Oh that is the cutest cupcake! I haven’t seen it before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom