Trip Report I am Jack's raging excitement

Merry Christmas to all my WDW Magic friends! We just returned from a wonderful 9 days at Disney that was jam packed with fun, food, and of course....these little beauties,

IMG_20181215_143720.jpg

We truly had many wonderful experiences and of the many trips we have had at WDW , this was one of our most memorable ones. I was eager to get this reported started as soon as we got home, but shortly after our return I was in a pretty bad car accident which slowed me down a bit.

IMG_20181224_093507.jpg

Thankfully I am ok, aside from a mild/moderate concussion when my head slammed into the steering wheel. The drivers of the other cars were ok as well. But lets rewind to appx two weeks ago when my radiator was not lodged into my engine and C and I were heading off to the warmer temperatures of Orlando!

As usual, we left the house early in the am in an effort to beat Atlanta traffic. We left around 6 am and within minutes there was an update on the radio that the highway was completely shut down due to an accident. We took an alternate route, but so did everyone else who had exited the expressway.

IMG_20181212_054451.jpg

It normally takes us about 20 minutes to get to Atlanta once we got on the highway, but with the hwy shut down it took a little over an hour. But once we got passed the accident and got back on the expressway, we cruised the rest of the way. A few hours later were in Fla!

IMG_20181212_093546.jpg

We stopped out or favorite breakfast spot in Gainesville, Maple Street Biscuit, for a quick meal.

IMG_20181212_105537.jpg

IMG_20181212_110527.jpg

IMG_20181212_110539.jpg

We got our food to go so we would not loose to much time. I'll say this, an ooey-gooey chicken bacon gravy biscuit is even better when its served in a small bowl.

As we got in the car, we noticed this man walking around the parking lot for someone to flash?

IMG_20181212_111226.jpg

We think he was looking for Phyliss from "The Office", haha.

We like stopping at Gainesville not only for the amazing biscuits, but also because its a little under two hours from WDW so it helps make the last leg of the drive feel pretty short. We take the 429 toll to Apopka becuase there is an awesome Publix we stop at to grab stuff for the room.

IMG_20181212_132846.jpg

We always get some our our "go to" beers (New Belgium) and I also get an experimental brew as well. Last trip in July I tried the Bimini Row and I was not pleased. This trip I went with Funky Buddha "Top Gun". I shall report on it later...And please note the Vitamin Water. Those who read my last TR may remember my nocturnal IBS and I was not about to let it happen again, lol!!! And C always gets lots of healthy fruits and snacks too!

We also take the 429 so we can exit off Western Way and take the back entrance to WDW which spares us from driving through Orlando traffic and is a much more peaceful drive, IMO.

For the holidays, some prefer to to be beneath the mistletoe, but we prefer to be under these...

image000000_06.jpg

Up next... checking in to our resort!

Spash007

About the riff raff comment... and I’ll start off saying that I think there’s nothing wrong with the Values, we’ve stayed there before and they are nice. But, this reminds me of a story from a long long time ago when the All Stars first opened. I was there with my parents and sister, and we had staked our a spot for Illuminations. A little before it started another family comes right next to us and started smoking, and their kids started pushing my sister and myself over to make room. My mom said something to them about the smoking, and being a smoker herself, was very courteous and was along the lines of “if you’re not going to smoke could you do it not near my kids?” These people went off on us - saying how dare she f’in tell them what to do, who does she think she is, etc. it escalated after that, and after they started making threats about what their kids should do to us (no joke), we went into I think Rose & Crown to tell a CM. I’ll never forget that the CM said “I guess this is what we have to expect now with the All Stars opened”, before getting us into some private’s viewing area.

I know that the majority of people at the Values are “good” people and all the resorts have their issues of bad eggs. But this just reminded me that they do get a bad rap from certain people.

Pardonmypixiedust

loving this pregame food for us. first time at boardwalk for the wife and I in a few weeks. have to agree on the riff-raff. @Big Hair has called this the back door for years. WDW getting a trusted transport ready for guardians.the times are changing folks.

p.s. - great hit on the can. ill have to adjust my "hidden menu" schedule this next trip. as for the hidden Mickey in the beer ?
#thewaltiswithyou

Last edited:

Songbird76

I have no problem just saying "excuse me, can I squeeze by you guys?" in these situations. Or if I'm in a bad mood, I squeeze by without saying excuse me and instead say "way to take up the whole walkway" accompanied by a side-eye :hilarious:. This is probably my biggest pet peeve at the parks. If my husband and I can walk through most of the park one behind the other, you can too!
My husband tells me I'm too nice in situations like these, because I'll say "excuse me", and then if they don't move, I say "excuse me" again. My husband says I need to learn to say "excuse me" in such a way that makes it clear if they want to keep their feet/ankles intact, they'd better get the heck out of my way. He just says it once and with an edge to it that it's obviously "I'm being polite, but I WILL mow you over if you don't move."

Songbird76

About the riff raff comment... and I’ll start off saying that I think there’s nothing wrong with the Values, we’ve stayed there before and they are nice. But, this reminds me of a story from a long long time ago when the All Stars first opened. I was there with my parents and sister, and we had staked our a spot for Illuminations. A little before it started another family comes right next to us and started smoking, and their kids started pushing my sister and myself over to make room. My mom said something to them about the smoking, and being a smoker herself, was very courteous and was along the lines of “if you’re not going to smoke could you do it not near my kids?” These people went off on us - saying how dare she f’in tell them what to do, who does she think she is, etc. it escalated after that, and after they started making threats about what their kids should do to us (no joke), we went into I think Rose & Crown to tell a CM. I’ll never forget that the CM said “I guess this is what we have to expect now with the All Stars opened”, before getting us into some private’s viewing area.

I know that the majority of people at the Values are “good” people and all the resorts have their issues of bad eggs. But this just reminded me that they do get a bad rap from certain people.
I'm sorry you had that experience. You know, I grew up below the poverty line, and through very generous friends and family, we always had the necessities. But when we traveled, we drove because we couldn't afford to fly, we camped in a tent because we often couldn't afford motels, and we did go to Disney a couple of times, but we couldn't even afford to stay off property in Orlando. We stayed with some family in Fort Lauderdale and drove to the parks each day. I guess we'd be considered about as riff-raff as they come, but we'd NEVER have been allowed to act that way. And I'm VERY fortunate that my husband has a good job and I have a job and we can now afford to stay on property, with the European package including free dining, it's actually cheaper for us to stay at a moderate than at a value. But there is "riff-raff" at every level, just like there are entitled people at every level. Being able to conduct yourself properly in public is not limited to staying at higher levels of resorts, nor is being a jerk exclusive to those staying at values. There was a family in my hometown who stayed at a deluxe resort and the boy who was in my graduating class nearly got himself sued for sexually harassing me, and now he's in jail for multiple counts of child abuse. Your bank account is not a measure of your respectability.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
But there is "riff-raff" at every level,
Very true. The rif raf of the deluxes are the type of people with the arrogant and pompous attitude.

Wife and I were having lunch one day a few months ago and a lady overheard us talking about Disney and planning to watch fireworks from Top of The World Lounge at BLT. The woman felt the need to chime in with an extremely arrogant tone and tell us, "Top of The World" is ONLY for DVC members and you wont be able to get in". I replied with, "yes, we know that". She then tells us that she has DVC and shes been to Top of The World, blah, blah, blah. I did not feel the need to tell her we have DVC nor did she ask as she continued to gloat and tell us about a Disney cruise she went on.

Then she tells us that we should look into buying DVC. Thats when I said we are actually already members and purchased it a few months ago. I raised my glass to her and said "welcome home"! Instead of raising her glass and joining in the moment, she gets a rude look on her face and asks "where"? I told her BWV. She says, "oh, you must have bought a small points contract through resale" (still with a judgmental look on her face). Since she wanted to play that game, I let her know we have a good amount of points and it was already paid off (because I figured she would ask that next) and that we are looking at getting a second DVC. She just rambled on with her arrogance and spouted off a few things about the parks that were completely wrong but I wasnt about it debate it with her. I managed to end the conversation shortly after.

Longers

Day 3

We had went to bed pretty early and got a good nights sleep. C was watching the grocery store show with Guy Fierry (or however you spell his name). There were several episodes on back to back and she got me hooked on that show. Its fun to watch all the challenges he throws at them.

We enjoyed some coffee on the patio while the Friendships sailed by.

View attachment 340299

We headed to Epcot to start the day off.

View attachment 340300

As we passed the gondola construction C asked which resorts would it be servicing that dropped off at International Gateway. When I said Pop Century, her eyes became filled with horror. She grabbed my hand and said, "the riff raff are gonna ruin this beautiful entrance". I almost peed my pants laughing so hard at the "riff raff" remark, haha. And please dont judge C. She isnt that snobby (mostly), shes just read too many internet stories of the shenanigans that occur from the value resorts. And its my fault for spoiling her, so if her riff raff remark offends anybody, you can blame me. And now back to the report.

C's magic band lights up purple when she taps it at the entrance to the parks because we are DVC, but mine does not. We have asked a bazillion CM's why mine doesnt and we get different answers each time. Several never even knew about it until they saw it, lol. She always rubs it in my face that hers can do it and mine cant. Heres what it looks like.

After we entered the park, C told me she was chilly and she should have worn pants instead of shorts. I told er we could back to the room but she said we could wait and see if it warmed up. We had a FP for Soarin so we made our towards FW. We stopped in England so she could find a piece to match her set of pot holders.

View attachment 340327

On the way to Soarin, I snapped a picture of one of the most annoying things to me at WDW. People who take up the entire walkway and refuse to acknowledge another person trying to get past them. I dont mind if a group of people are enjoying their stroll, but when other people are clearly trying to go around you, just make some room. This group was moving sooooooo slow and was oblivious to us.

View attachment 340324

It was still drizzling after we left Soarin and we made our over to the Helley Hansen shop in Norway. I urged C to just get a waterproof jacket so she would stay dry and be a bit more warm and plus she would be able to use much more back at home. After 20 minutes, she decided she would rather go back to the room and change:banghead:.

View attachment 340325

Up next...back to the hotel

Funny you should comment about guests who take up all the walk way - we often say the same thing and just to wind others up I have suggested to Chris that we create a line of 9 of us all holding hands during our Aug trip with the family!

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Very true. The rif raf of the deluxes are the type of people with the arrogant and pompous attitude.

Wife and I were having lunch one day a few months ago and a lady overheard us talking about Disney and planning to watch fireworks from Top of The World Lounge at BLT. The woman felt the need to chime in with an extremely arrogant tone and tell us, "Top of The World" is ONLY for DVC members and you wont be able to get in". I replied with, "yes, we know that". She then tells us that she has DVC and shes been to Top of The World, blah, blah, blah. I did not feel the need to tell her we have DVC nor did she ask as she continued to gloat and tell us about a Disney cruise she went on.

Then she tells us that we should look into buying DVC. Thats when I said we are actually already members and purchased it a few months ago. I raised my glass to her and said "welcome home"! Instead of raising her glass and joining in the moment, she gets a rude look on her face and asks "where"? I told her BWV. She says, "oh, you must have bought a small points contract through resale" (still with a judgmental look on her face). Since she wanted to play that game, I let her know we have a good amount of points and it was already paid off (because I figured she would ask that next) and that we are looking at getting a second DVC. She just rambled on with her arrogance and spouted off a few things about the parks that were completely wrong but I wasnt about it debate it with her. I managed to end the conversation shortly after.

This is the bonus like to which you are entitled!

slipperalwaysfits

Caught up on your TR!

I hope you are fully recovered from your concussion! Those can be scary!

WOW about Kate at the GF!!! How amazing!! Sometimes I think when something so amazing like that happens, I'm not surprised to run into a rude person or two (like your bartender) but then again, Disney prides itself on customer service. I understand CM's have bad days but the bartender was just a jerk.

BWV sounds amazing, I definitely have it on my short list for a DVC option!

The large groups taking up the walkways drive me crazy, too! WE just walk around them and say "Excuse me," firmly. If they are rude about it, I ignore it if I'm feeling nice and if I'm not feeling nice, I say "it's our vacation, too!" That shuts a lot of people up when they start complaining or comparing.

My husband grew up below the poverty line and they stayed off-property when they first started going to DVC. His parents taught him great manners; further echoing @Songbird76 's point:

But there is "riff-raff" at every level, just like there are entitled people at every level. Being able to conduct yourself properly in public is not limited to staying at higher levels of resorts, nor is being a jerk exclusive to those staying at values. There was a family in my hometown who stayed at a deluxe resort and the boy who was in my graduating class nearly got himself sued for sexually harassing me, and now he's in jail for multiple counts of child abuse. Your bank account is not a measure of your respectability.

Songbird76

Some people just really need to feel superior, I guess. But I'm not going to waste my energy being upset by the people who don't even know me. If they want to judge me by the fact that my clothes aren't designer, or that I'm wearing colors that are "out" or that my shoes are a little worn, let them. They are the ones who are missing out.

Rista1313

Oh good grief... that's the type of person I just want to roll my eyes at. You must have looked too young to have DVC, and rif raf to her!

Doc Disney

Soon our bags arrived and C was already de-contaminating the room while I stocked the fridge with our supplies.

I think C and I would be good friends :joyfull: I used to carry hospital grade wipes but they kept getting me TSA flagged so I stopped :joyfull:

Next it was time to get our AP magnets over at Mouse Gears. We took a detour through Electric Umbrella so I could check and make sure the talking trash can was still there. And it was..., yay!

I never heard of this - thanks for sharing!! I cant wait to check it out

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think C and I would be good friends :joyfull: I used to carry hospital grade wipes but they kept getting me TSA flagged so I stopped :joyfull:

I never heard of this - thanks for sharing!! I cant wait to check it out
Oh geez, I didnt know there was such a thing as "hospital grade" wipes. C will want them more than jewelry, haha.

And the trash can is definitely a fun little gem.

I've read along several of your trip reports, but don't think I've ever commented. Always enjoyable! We really enjoyed the Boardwalk area as well (love me some Ample Hills!).

I must ask, where did C get her ***** pack bag? I love it!

Edit: BAHAHAHA f a n n y
Thanks for following along! I am cracking up that it censored f a n n y, hahaha. The brand is Herschel Supply Co. She loves it. And it has been a great alternative to bringing a backpack into the parks with us.

krisri18

Oh geez, I didnt know there was such a thing as "hospital grade" wipes. C will want them more than jewelry, haha.

And the trash can is definitely a fun little gem.

Thanks for following along! I am cracking up that it censored f a n n y, hahaha. The brand is Herschel Supply Co. She loves it. And it has been a great alternative to bringing a backpack into the parks with us.
Hospital grade wipes are fantastic! 3 minutes to antimicrobial bliss!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The brand is Herschel Supply Co. She loves it. And it has been a great alternative to bringing a backpack into the parks with us.

I also noticed that on her in a photo. Can't understand why those bags went out of style some years ago, but they have (thank goodness) been making a comeback again! :happy:

I wear a very small cross-body bag at WDW, but I'd far prefer a waist pack, like the one that C has.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I also noticed that on her in a photo. Can't understand why those bags went out of style some years ago, but they have (thank goodness) been making a comeback again! :happy:

I wear a very small cross-body bag at WDW, but I'd far prefer a waist pack, like the one that C has.
FYI, The Herschel has an adjustable strap that allows it to be worn cross body as well:cool:
I mayormaynot have just ordered one for my trip in June...
Thats awesome! When we were planning this trip I told C that I didnt want to lug the backpack around everyday so she brought the Herschel and it was roomy enough to hold cell phones, hand wipes, fuel rod and even purse grapes! Well, I guess they would technically be "f@nny grapes", if @Tuvalu will allow usage from her original name;)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 cntd...

As we enjoyed our drinks in the plaza (still inside Mexico pavilion), we heard music start to play and then we noticed the crowd of people begin to clap. At first we could not see what all the fuss was about, After a few moments, we witnessed a little show we had never seen before. A man and a woman (whom we assumed to be the Mayor and his bride) emerged and walked up to the balcony. Here is a bit of the show. If anybody knows the name of these two characters, I would love to know. I tried a quick google search but it yielded nothing.

It was a fun little show to watch. Afterwards, we headed towards the monorail to make our way towards MK. First C wanted to stop at the stand behind SSE to look a for a certain pin. While she shopped, I dipped into Electric Umbrella for a beer. The best choice they had for me was Heineken.

IMG_20181214_145106.jpg
IMG_20181214_145330.jpg

A few quick photos by the ball as we headed out.

IMG_20181214_145729.jpg

We went for the "fake candid" picture we see so many people doing. It cracks us up when we watch people pose for a picture in a completely fake way to appear as if they were just standing there and someone happened to take a picture. Here is our take on this ridiculous trend.

IMG_20181214_150011.jpg

And then we returned back to being to normal people who take normal photos

IMG_20181214_150213.jpg

Quick shot of GoTG coaster.

IMG_20181214_150252.jpg

And soon we were on the monorail. Whats up with all the cleared land between Epcot and MK?

IMG_20181214_151007.jpg

A quick reminder from C that Im still #1

IMG_20181214_151019.jpg

But seriously, whats up with all the land clearing?

Up next, monorail hopping our way to MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom