WDW open to public prior to official opening

JIMINYCR

Is it possible it isn't a Mickey balloon at all? If you look closely, it looks more like a balloon animal inside the clear balloon.

Its hard to tell but It does look like a different shape than the Mickey head. And being that young we all can have vague, shadowy memories that lead us to believe things that arent necessarily true. Maybe you are associating things about Disney from watching and remembering scenes you watched as a baby from the old Disney TV shows.

Surfin' Tuna

The sunglasses and scarfs seem pretty typical for something one might wear to the beach in the 60s. Maybe Atlantic City, Coney Island, or someplace similar. Did your family spend time up that way, from that area?

The Empress Lilly

For one thing, the glasshouse balloon (latex Mickey balloon within transparent plastic balloon) is from the 90's and later. Before that, at DL and WDW the classic Mickey-shaped balloons were sold without the protective 'bubble' they now have.

The picture is not WDW (an impossibility timewise), the ballloon is possibly not even a Mickey balloon, certainly not one sold by Disney.

Sneezy62

Great photo! You look about 6 months old, if I had to guess. Definitely beach. The balloon is a mystery though. Spinner rides like Dumbo were pretty common at all kinds of carnivals and circus midways. Remember that’s what Dumbo is supposed to represent. Many were themed to animals.

thomas998

The balloon is obviously why he/she thinks they went to DW So I guess the question is, where could you get that balloon at in 1968?
You could have gotten the ballon at a Disney on Parade show although I don't think they started those until 1969. I remember getting one when Disney on Parade came to our town back... Sadly they were cooler than the Disney on Ice garbage they tour the country with now days. Makes me wish i could have taken my kids to one of those instead of the Disney on Ice.

Happy Shell

Original Poster
The sunglasses and scarfs seem pretty typical for something one might wear to the beach in the 60s. Maybe Atlantic City, Coney Island, or someplace similar. Did your family spend time up that way, from that area?
I do not know. I know we all love the beach; it could be oneiof the PR beaches, or one of the islands off of Puerto Rico or one of the beaches along South Jersey. I do not know how often we visited the States while we lived there. It may remain a mystery of my youth 🤗

Disvillain63

Just found this from 1964-65 World's Fair. It appears to have a similar balloon.

Attachments

• 1547320894795-572388613.png
    1547320894795-572388613.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 158

tl77

I don't think that's a Mickey balloon in your photo, Disney's "balloon inside a balloon" is something that's only been around for the last 25 years or so, and back in the day at WDW they only sold the Mickey head balloons by themselves... here's photos of the og balloons, the first photo is from back in the 70's and the one with Roger Rabbit in circa 1989 I guess? only single balloons back then though
images.jpg
images1.jpg

KBLovedDisney

Just the balloon. LOL, but seriously. I do remember 'being at WDW, seeing the Dumbo ride and wanting to ride, but it was not open. I realize thatI would be much too young to recall that in this photo, but just wonder if my parents took me there before it officially opened. Simply curious...
Maybe you guys possibly got a backstage view of the construction work and the CMs gave you a free balloon? Otherwise, love the pic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom