News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

c256f5fd39583d80767fbbde14a92ced.jpg

Suspirian

I went to DCA recently and saw Pixar Pier in person for the first time. It was cute, nothing spectacular considering I've seen the majority of it already. Incredicoaster was fun but theres def some improvements that could be made. Hopefully they'll think about making the story not revolve around Jack Jack at some point. Would much rather it be about a villain or something and not meta.

Side Note: now that there seems to be no turning back from Pixar Pier I would like a Monsters Inc themed spookhouse

DanielBB8

I don't disagree in the slightest, it's just frustrating because the huge redevelopment at least laid out a trajectory for some sense of romance:

With the DCA 2.0 redevelopment it at least seemed to me that we might have some semblance of the time and place that contributes to that feeling of being transported somewhere else that you can only get in a theme park

1910s era seaside Victorian pier

1920s Los Angeles & Golden Age Hollywoodland

1930s WPA National Parks

1950/60s Route 66

^ obviously it wasn't completely executed - but I thought things were at least moving in the right direction. Now that seems to be out the window...Pixar Pier and Avengers Campus just seem like a mall of attractions. Are the days of cohesive thematic lands outside of a single IP behind us?
Left off this list was Bugsland replacement of Bountiful Valley Farm, Cars IP add-on to Route 66, Mermaid replacement of Golden Dreams, Disney Jr replacing Soap Opera restaurant, Monsters replacing SuperStar Limo, Aladdin and Frozen replacing Power of Blast. All excellent IP changes.

So all that preceded Pixar Pier, the worst thing ever.

I do fault them for a half completed Pixar Pier. It won’t be finished until the Toy Story carousel and Inside Out spinner is added. In the end, it will be fine.

Disney Analyst

I went to DCA recently and saw Pixar Pier in person for the first time. It was cute, nothing spectacular considering I've seen the majority of it already. Incredicoaster was fun but theres def some improvements that could be made. Hopefully they'll think about making the story not revolve around Jack Jack at some point. Would much rather it be about a villain or something and not meta.

Side Note: now that there seems to be no turning back from Pixar Pier I would like a Monsters Inc themed spookhouse

Come on, a Coco spookhouse would be brilliant.

TP2000

Left off this list was Bugsland replacement of Bountiful Valley Farm, Cars IP add-on to Route 66, Mermaid replacement of Golden Dreams, Disney Jr replacing Soap Opera restaurant, Monsters replacing SuperStar Limo, Aladdin and Frozen replacing Power of Blast. All excellent IP changes.

So all that preceded Pixar Pier, the worst thing ever.

I do fault them for a half completed Pixar Pier. It won’t be finished until the Toy Story carousel and Inside Out spinner is added. In the end, it will be fine.

I'm not quite as optimistic as you on the long-term success of Pixar Pier, but I do think they shortchanged the entire Pixar Pier thing by rushing it, opening it in phases and half-baked concepts, and dragging it out for an entire year.

I've had this whole concept mulling in my mind since summer, including photos, that Pixar Pier is a bad omen for Star Wars Land if they try and pull the same sort of crap, but I'm not sure it's worth starting a new thread over.

DanielBB8

I'm not quite as optimistic as you on the long-term success of Pixar Pier, but I do think they shortchanged the entire Pixar Pier thing by rushing it, opening it in phases and half-baked concepts, and dragging it out for an entire year.

I've had this whole concept mulling in my mind since summer, including photos, that Pixar Pier is a bad omen for Star Wars Land if they try and pull the same sort of crap, but I'm not sure it's worth starting a new thread over.
They are still improving Pixar Pier. Here’s a Wdw Nt article on new signage being added.

“Changes have been happening at Pixar Pier in a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it kind of way. As we previously reported, the Up billboard was removed from the boardwalk. Now it looks like there’s new signage at both Jack-Jack Cookie Num Nums and Poultry Palace.”

So you’re not optimistic about what? Things are still being added and updated and will continue for quite a while. And Star Wars Land is on a totally different track and can’t be compared. It’s as if you think they will pull a Pixar Pier than a Carsland or Pandora just because you don’t like Pixar Pier, which isn’t a bad idea.

__r.jr

The only way to improve Pixar Pier is to demolish it.

Disney could easily create a concept that would better represent the west coast shoreline far better than an amalgamation of seaside amusement parks.

Imagine a revised Discovery Bay only with more emphasis on a San Francisco-style harbor based around the 19th century on the scale and depth of DisneySea's American Waterfront. There could even be an extension/sub-land a la Cape Cod such as a Chinatown within.

mickEblu

I don't disagree in the slightest, it's just frustrating because the huge redevelopment at least laid out a trajectory for some sense of romance:

With the DCA 2.0 redevelopment it at least seemed to me that we might have some semblance of the time and place that contributes to that feeling of being transported somewhere else that you can only get in a theme park

1910s era seaside Victorian pier

1920s Los Angeles & Golden Age Hollywoodland

1930s WPA National Parks

1950/60s Route 66

^ obviously it wasn't completely executed - but I thought things were at least moving in the right direction. Now that seems to be out the window...Pixar Pier and Avengers Campus just seem like a mall of attractions. Are the days of cohesive thematic lands outside of a single IP behind us?

Romance is a great word to use. And the park is slowly losing that sense of taking us to another time and place. Now we re just brand hopping our way across the park.

Take Bugs Land for example. The rides were terrible but the land (and ITTBAB) made you feel like a bug with all the clever props and trees. Now we ll get to go to the mysterious Marvel campus/ business park/ Circuit city with the oil refinery/ museum/ fortress/ warehouse looking over the land. Oh ya, and it’s all ACTUALLY at Disneyland. The Fortress appeared out of nowhere and then they decided to build the campus/ brewery/ circuit city next to it.

The park is going from a theme park to just a collection of rides and brands. Pixar Pier is terrible. At least the generic Paradise Pier could still disguise itself as being of a different time and place. The agenda of Pixar Pier is so in your face and tasteless.

I get it. They need a park where they can plug and play. A place where they can stay edgy (like Universal Studios) and showcase some of the new IP they re acquiring. Unfortunately, aside from Star Wars, they are taking the lazy and easy way out.

A mish mash Marvel Land with no clear vision that’s opening in 3 phases? The downgrade and ugly GOTG sitting in Hollywoodland for years? Pixar Pier? Even Soarin over the world was a huge downgrade in its experience AND thematically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom