Parking fees at Resorts

correcaminos

Actually, I believe DVC members do get free parking, unless that's changed. .
We get no added fees for parking. Technically we pay for the upkeep of parking lots so they cannot charge us twice so to speak. So parking will always be free for us as long as we're staying on points. They do let us get free parking when paying cash at DVC locations too (for the same kind of reason - points pay for parking maintenance). So while we do not get the extra fee, it's not technically free.

I'm not a DVC member. But if anyone should get a break, it does seem that someone who has bought into Disney for decades is probably first on the list.
LOL, I hear this thing from DVC members all the time too - I think sometimes this mentality is bad for owners though. Makes us look entitled.

I never like resort fees or parking fees in most areas. I get it in large cities where parking is a prime. I do not get it for a place like Orlando. I'd rather them roll it into the nightly stay instead of an add on.

Dad 2 M & M

Oh geez. Likening a parking fee at a resort (that is frankly a luxury for the majority of society) to major worldwide conflicts is just disrespectful to people who fought and sacrificed.

I don't have a problem with your complaint. I have a problem that you knew about the fee, took another trip to another resort with said fee, and refused a second time to pay. Yes, I do think if people CHOOSE to stay at a resort with a fee that they comply and pay the fee. Clearly that makes me a mindless compliant robot.
Ya think he's serious? Or trying to get a rise out of you?
LOL, the folks who were invaded by the Germans had no choice at all. YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!

Since we are engaging in a bit of hyperbole, here are some kind suggestions

1) Non compliance usually means some personal sacrifice. the folks who resisted Nazi germany usually did so with great peril to themselves. I am a civil rights baby. the african americans who did not comply with the status quo suffered greatly.
You are lucky you don't have that issue, but you do have to make a decision, if you don't want to comply, stay offsite. that is the best thing to let them know it's unacceptable.

2) Now we are open to other ideas that don't involve "theft" of services. Your ideas will back fire. I would love constructive ideas on how to let Disney know about their greediness that will actually make a difference.
I applaud everyone's passion, but directing it at a fellow that intentionally didn't attach a credit card to the reservation, and compared a Moderate Resort to Motel 6?

eliza61nyc

We get no added fees for parking. Technically we pay for the upkeep of parking lots so they cannot charge us twice so to speak. So parking will always be free for us as long as we're staying on points. They do let us get free parking when paying cash at DVC locations too (for the same kind of reason - points pay for parking maintenance). So while we do not get the extra fee, it's not technically free.

LOL, I hear this thing from DVC members all the time too - I think sometimes this mentality is bad for owners though. Makes us look entitled.

I never like resort fees or parking fees in most areas. I get it in large cities where parking is a prime. I do not get it for a place like Orlando. I'd rather them roll it into the nightly stay instead of an add on.
I really think it's an issue of the places economics. They are prevalent in Charleston, Puerto Rico and Savannah, (where I've visited) places where the local economy is based on tourism.
I think it's a bit of the old "tourist have money to burn" mentality.

correcaminos

I really think it's an issue of the places economics. They are prevalent in Charleston, Puerto Rico and Savannah, (where I've visited) places where the local economy is based on tourism.
I think it's a bit of the old "tourist have money to burn" mentality.
Not all of PR is tourist. And remember it's an island, not a separate city. San Juan would have parking at a premium. Go to where my family lives and hotels have free parking. It's not at a premium there.

Looking up hotels in Charleston half were free. Same for Savannah. Looks like the ones that do charge were in busier areas.

Even in Chicago once you are outside certain space premium limits, the parking is free. So while it could be 2hat you said, it always isn't. Plus as I said I think they should roll it in when space is not at a premium. If it is, then I get it as a deterrent form those who would park a car but really don't need one. Parking at most Disney resorts isn't at a premium outside of MK and Epcot. Even then as long as those staying are the ones parking, its not an issue.

Lucky

Now IMO the thing is Disney was the very last to the world of parking fees so no one is upset about them. In fact most people are shocked if you can book a hotel (not motel) without a parking fee.
Your opinion is totally contradictory to my experience.

Pop and All Stars are motels and have parking fees.

Most non-Disney hotels I stay at do not charge for parking.

I’m aware that most hotels in downtowns charge for parking, but Disney hotels are not downtown.

wdwfan22

I don’t think anyone should be paying this fee. Period. I’m not special, I just think Disney is wringing the water out of the rag. You do not like I didn’t pay. Oh well. Keep paying the fee. Good luck with that thought process.

Good luck trying to return for a future stay.

Legendary

Bottom line you have choices. If you don’t like the parking fees you have the right to find another place to stay. You want to send a message to Disney, stay off property. But deliberately not paying for something that you knew about ahead of time is just wrong. It is really sad that your conscience is clear.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ahem. Disney had been the exception for years.....most hotels charge a daily fee for parking your vehicle at the hotel. Uni charges at least $15 a day. And has done so for years.

eliza61nyc

I’m aware that most hotels in downtowns charge for parking, but Disney hotels are not downtown.
You do have a point, I tend to vacation in cities. We went to Paris last summer and definitely had a resort fee. Lol Im originally from Manhattan don't even get me started, lol I'm happy if i only get charged 35 bucks.
All the places i've been in the Caribbean charge a resort fee.
I'm going to Charleston SC in March, hotel charges 25 bucks a day for cars.

Chi84

Premium Member
Won't even be able to complete online resort reservation before prompted to call 1-407w.........

And..... Disney keeping a "file" on someone? Was that a serious comment?
There's a lot about the post that doesn't ring true, at least to me. People can write anything on the internet - sometimes there's a grain of truth enveloped by a lot of embellishment or exaggeration.

The one thing I believe is that the poster does not like resort parking fees.

John park hopper

You do have a point, I tend to vacation in cities. We went to Paris last summer and definitely had a resort fee. Lol Im originally from Manhattan don't even get me started, lol I'm happy if i only get charged 35 bucks.

Welcome to Charleston SC, parking in Charleston is like any other city a nightmare--- limited parking so hotels charge. However there are many public parking garages close to many of the hotels; the rates are less than the hotels. There is much to see in Charleston and some really great restaurants. Is this a business trip or pleasure/

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

Non-Disney in Orlando near the parks? Or non-Disney hotels in general in other towns?

I stayed at the Caribe Royale in August for about $125 a night and there was another $50-60 a night I discovered at check in tacked on between parking and non-optional resort fees.

I’m not saying they don’t exist, I just haven’t heard of any in close proximity to Disney or Universal that aren’t just charging parking, but also resort fees over and above their advertised rates these days.

While I don’t like the parking fees, I think most of the other nearby hotels were adding them first. Also, at my last stay a few months ago I did mobile check in at the Contemporary (avoiding the front desk) and just entered the lot scanning my magic band and was never charged for parking anyway (although I’m sure they will close that loophole soon, if they haven’t already).

Demarke

Premium Member
If you want free parking at a hotel in Charleston, you pretty much have to go across the bridge to Mt. Pleasant. But then, of course, you can’t just walk to things around downtown and you’ll just end up paying for a parking garage spot somewhere anyway.

John park hopper

If you want free parking at a hotel in Charleston, you pretty much have to go across the bridge to Mt. Pleasant. But then, of course, you can’t just walk to things around downtown and you’ll just end up paying for a parking garage spot somewhere anyway.

I guess you could stay in Mt Pleasant and walk across the Cooper River (Ravenel) bridge to downtown Charleston see people walking the bridge every day. Personally I'd pay to park

Demarke

Premium Member
I guess you could stay in Mt Pleasant and walk across the Cooper River (Ravenel) bridge to downtown Charleston see people walking the bridge every day. Personally I'd pay to park
Haha, I suppose so, that’s an awful long walk from the Days Inn or wherever in Mt P to the Battery or Market or King St though. I always figured the pedestrians on the bridge were joggers/walkers and people who just wanted to go walk the bridge as an attraction itself, rather than people actually trying to get somewhere. I’d pay to park too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom