AstroOrbiter Refurb 2019

britain

Original Poster
Question:

Should DL's Tomorrowland be moved in the direction that MK's Tomorrowland is going (70's Retro Futurism + Tron & Cartoons)? Or should it be a current take on sincere EPCOT futurism (more like Shanghai's TL + Apple Stores)?

SuddenStorm

Question:

Should DL's Tomorrowland be moved in the direction that MK's Tomorrowland is going (70's Retro Futurism + Tron & Cartoons)? Or should it be a current take on sincere EPCOT futurism (more like Shanghai's TL + Apple Stores)?

MK's for sure. If only because it'd get us a Tomorrowland far closer to what it was pre '98. Epcots approach to the future wouldn't fit well in Disneyland.

mickEblu

Question:

If they re going to keep going meta I’ll take a meta Tomorrowland 1967. Just make the entrance to the land a time portal.

Old Mouseketeer

Tomorrowland back then was pretty awesome. I also really enjoyed America Sings. As I kid I also liked the AT&T display. It was fun playing with the phones. Best part was taking the speed ramp up to Space Mountain.

Making a call from a Speakerphone booth was a must!

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/circlevision-at-t-exhibit.938146/

And I loved the cool oval Picturephone. (I believe this shot is actually from the NY World's Fair).

picturephone.jpg

As a kid, I really believed that Tomorrow was "great, big, and beautiful".

Phroobar

I want updated Epcot Future World for Tomorrowland next to a bay and volcano.
All buildings done in a futurism white buildings with lots of organic swirls and colors.

-- Seabase Delta with real fish. Submarines as transportation to it. Under water tube roller coaster.
-- Mysterious Island - modern looking version of Journey to the Center of the Earth.
-- Horizons 2.0 - new updated omnimover version of Horizons.
-- Time Traveling dark ride - that includes the train and dinosaurs.
-- Spaceship Earth 2.0 - focusing on space exploration with elements from Mission Space.
-- Body Wars 2.0 - updated with bigger simulators and in cabin effects
-- Space Mountain - with more physical props and special effect preshow (ie like Armageddon at WDS)

mickEblu

They could do worse. I'm sorry the Tomorrowland movie wasn't better. I mean, Saarinen AND Calatrava? Woohoo!

I don’t Remember what these words mean? Only saw the movie once but I though the aesthetics were cool. The movie lost me in the third act though.

Ideally some futuristic TL that we don’t even know we need or want would be ideal. I just don’t trust modern WDI with the land. Retro 67 TL would give imagineers a clear vision but who are we kidding? It would end up being a wannabe version of itself kind of like Tropical Hideaway at Adventureland but on a bigger scale.

Old Mouseketeer

I don’t Remember what these words mean? Only saw the movie once but I though the aesthetics were cool. The movie lost me in the third act though.

Ideally some futuristic TL that we don’t even know we need or want would be ideal. I just don’t trust modern WDI with the land. Retro 67 TL would give imagineers a clear vision but who are we kidding? It would end up being a wannabe version of itself kind of like Tropical Hideaway at Adventureland but on a bigger scale.

LOL. I was referring to two of the architects whose futuristic work was featured in the movie. One was Eero Saarinen's TWA building at JFK and another was Santiago Calatrava's City of Arts and Sciences and Opera House in Valencia, Spain.

Curious Constance

On the Imagineering side of the forum, we had to create a Tomorrowland redo as our challenge. I actually really liked our idea and wanted to share it here since this is the Disneyland Forums haha. Take a look and give your thoughts.
P.S. We got first place, not to brag haha

There is an imagineering side of the forum where you have challenges to redesign parts of the parks so you and a group of other members got together and wrote a 39 page paper on your ideas to redesign Tormorrowland?!

That’s kids stuff.

The Disneyland side of the forum created “Disney Hot Dog Days!!!!!” Can’t top that, so don’t bother tryin’.

Stevek

I have zero issues with the Astro Orbiter beyond it's location. It was far better when it (as the Rockets Jets) was up higher but it's still an enjoyable family ride. It really just needs to move and as other said, bulldoze the front and open the entry to Tomorrowland back up.

Stevek

I mean seriously, how could you screw this up that badly?...

9-67_TLEntrance.jpg

What a thing of beauty! I was lucky enough to experience most of that (minus the GE CoP) for a great many years. Many of my favorite DL memories were when DL looked like that.

Last edited:

Stevek

It actually does. during one of those boring days at work, i went ahead and photoshopped to scale the astro orbirtor in several areas of tomorrowland away from the entrance of the land. The astro orbitor fit nicely in the area used up the spinning ball and trees surrounding it.

another thing they can do is remove the extended queue they built for Captain EO in front of the magic eye theater and make it a walkway. that way the small walkway between that and newly placed astro orbitor can be used for queue

Of course the best thing to do is to put it back up on a platform and integrate it to a newly built structure that would replace the innoventions building. A multi purpose structure that would house a new "E" ticket inside and the smaller orbitor outside.

Edited to add picture..

here is a quick cut and paste to size of the area.

Yellow being the astro queue and blue being the area that should be removed for walkway since it is an unused extended queue

View attachment 339751
For some reason, that pic looks way to small for that area though I'm assuming you measured. In any case, I would have little problem with it moving there beyond congestion concerns. In reality, the best place to put it is where it was originally on top of the PM platform. I can dream.

Curious Constance

Man, the Peoplemover. Wouldn't operations sure like a continuously-loading attraction on the east side of the park that takes a whole bunch of people off the streets.

Was the Peoplemover getting unpopular and rider count was getting low? Is that why they stopped running it? Because if enough people aren't riding the Peoplemover, it wouldn't end up helping much to bring it back.

britain

Original Poster
Was the Peoplemover getting unpopular and rider count was getting low? Is that why they stopped running it? Because if enough people aren't riding the Peoplemover, it wouldn't end up helping much to bring it back.

It was not getting unpopular. Its track was simply deemed desirable for a thrill-ride which ended up being lame and unreliable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom