Pre-Trip Welp. My car was totaled so now I REALLY deserve this trip....

Welp, I knew I couldn't stay away for long....

Not only was I able to sneak in a night at Disney Springs at the beginning of December (which is a little difficult when you live in Pennsylvania...), but my daughter and I are heading back for our second trip in less then a year.
This time we're ditching the boys and going just the two of us and I'm SO excited. Especially after I was in an accident on Sunday. Ugh! Long story short, I was crossing a busy intersection when another car decided that red lights were optional and crashed into the driver's side of my car. I flipped twice and then landed on my side. My poor car is totaled (so I'm also looking for new 3 row SUV recommendations if anyone wants to throw those in here too) and this momma is SO. LUCKY. I walked away with a lot of back and arm pain, bumps and bruises, and a concussion, but no broken bones or stitches. So while I'm hoping I'll be able to keep our Rock n Rollercoaster Fast Passes I've already prepared my daughter for the worst and she's okay with it.

Plans:
Sunday, January 27 - Flying PHL -> MCO and land around 11:20pm. Take the Magical Express to our home for the week - Pop Century!

Monday, January 28 - Hollywood Studios with a late lunch at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (1st time!)

Tuesday, January 29 - Magic Kingdom with breakfast at Be Our Guest and then a late dinner at The Cape May Cafe (1st time!)

Wednesday, January 30 - Epcot with no dining reservations, we're just going to snack around the world!

Thursday, January 31 - Animal Kingdom with an early dinner at Tusker House (1st time!)

Friday, February 1 - Magic Kingdom with lunch at Chef Mickey's

Saturday, February 2 - Ohana breakfast, a little bit of time at Disney Springs, and then flying home.

We got a deal for the Play, Stay, Dine which included the QS Dining Plan (and was less then the original package I booked) so I upgraded to the regular dining plan for only $40 more then I was originally going to pay for the trip with no dining. Can't really complain. :)

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for our trip? My daughter has never been to Hollywood Studios before so we're both really excited for it (and she loves Toy Story).

Thank you!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
The accident sounds awful - how lucky you were! That nearly happened to me the Sunday before Christmas - for some reason I took my time pulling out of a parking lot when the light turned green and someone completely blew through the red where my car would have been if I’d been in a hurry. I know what sort of thoughts went through my head afterwards (and I didn’t even have an accident!) so I can only imagine what you’re going through. Hope you’re all healed up for your trip 😀

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
The accident sounds awful - how lucky you were! That nearly happened to me the Sunday before Christmas - for some reason I took my time pulling out of a parking lot when the light turned green and someone completely blew through the red where my car would have been if I’d been in a hurry. I know what sort of thoughts went through my head afterwards (and I didn’t even have an accident!) so I can only imagine what you’re going through. Hope you’re all healed up for your trip 😀
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you took your time! People are crazy sometimes!

DisSplash

So sorry to hear about your crazy (flipping over is flipping crazy :eek:) accident and I truly hope that you are healing up nicely. Sometimes you do not fully realize the physical impact until later -- like weeks and months later, so take it easy when you can, and listen your body. And I think Disney is a good place to do that, as there are plenty of things to do if you don't want to be jostled or jolted around too much!

HS - You will absolutely LOVE the Sci-Fi Diner!! That is a MUST DO for my family. It is quirky and fun, and a real treat if you like the old time sci-fi movies. Your daughter will probably love Tower of Terror, and everything in Toy Story Land - Slinky Dog is such a fun little coaster if you are up for that, and its fairly smooth IMO
AK - Of course FoP, if you can (not sure if you have a FP), especially since it is very much a non-jostling kind of ride, and we really enjoyed the Navi River Journey. I know some folks find it to be "meh," but we enjoyed the movie, and so we find the NRJ to be a somewhat transportative, but overall very pleasant and colorful ride through A/C.
EPCOT - I wish I could snack around the World! I think that's a fantastic plan!! :hungry:
MK - Everything possible, including the churro ice cream sandwich, which I learned about on these boards last summer, but somehow missed getting when I was there in August. My one big regret! :cry:

And just remember - if you need to take a break physically, you can always find a Disney spot to people-watch!;)

Pardonmypixiedust

so glad to hear you're okay ! we will be there the same time as you. we have 3 of the same reservations for our trip. first time at sci-fi for us as well. cape May and chef mickeys are also on our reservations !

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
So sorry to hear about your crazy (flipping over is flipping crazy :eek:) accident and I truly hope that you are healing up nicely. Sometimes you do not fully realize the physical impact until later -- like weeks and months later, so take it easy when you can, and listen your body. And I think Disney is a good place to do that, as there are plenty of things to do if you don't want to be jostled or jolted around too much!

HS - You will absolutely LOVE the Sci-Fi Diner!! That is a MUST DO for my family. It is quirky and fun, and a real treat if you like the old time sci-fi movies. Your daughter will probably love Tower of Terror, and everything in Toy Story Land - Slinky Dog is such a fun little coaster if you are up for that, and its fairly smooth IMO
AK - Of course FoP, if you can (not sure if you have a FP), especially since it is very much a non-jostling kind of ride, and we really enjoyed the Navi River Journey. I know some folks find it to be "meh," but we enjoyed the movie, and so we find the NRJ to be a somewhat transportative, but overall very pleasant and colorful ride through A/C.
EPCOT - I wish I could snack around the World! I think that's a fantastic plan!! :hungry:
MK - Everything possible, including the churro ice cream sandwich, which I learned about on these boards last summer, but somehow missed getting when I was there in August. My one big regret! :cry:

And just remember - if you need to take a break physically, you can always find a Disney spot to people-watch!;)

I absolutely appreciate your help! My daughter LOVES roller coasters (except Everest...) so she was super bummed when I told her we'll have to take it easy on some of them. If it were up to her we would run back and forth between 7 Dwarfs and Thunder Mountain all day. Haha. But I did promise we'd go one of them in the morning and the other in the afternoon so I'm not jostled too much too quickly. Definitely don't want to risk getting worse.

Omg! I had no idea there was a churro ice cream sandwich! Where is this masterpiece?! Ahh!

so glad to hear you're okay ! we will be there the same time as you. we have 3 of the same reservations for our trip. first time at sci-fi for us as well. cape May and chef mickeys are also on our reservations !

That's awesome! It's getting so close! We got our MagicBands in the mail yesterday and have started packing our summery clothes since we won't need them between now and then (especially when it's calling for snow for us on Sunday. Ugh!)

Have you gone down this time of year? I've always been between May and September (and once in Dec) but I'm struggling to figure out what to pack!

Yikes! That accident sounds bad. I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured. And yes, you do deserve a trip.

Thank you! It was really scary! Definitely thinking I deserve the extra churro this trip! Hahaha.

Here's my sad car. :(
If anyone has any SUV recommendations I'm open to those also. :cry:
received_757354017969031.jpeg

KBLovedDisney

I absolutely appreciate your help! My daughter LOVES roller coasters (except Everest...) so she was super bummed when I told her we'll have to take it easy on some of them. If it were up to her we would run back and forth between 7 Dwarfs and Thunder Mountain all day. Haha. But I did promise we'd go one of them in the morning and the other in the afternoon so I'm not jostled too much too quickly. Definitely don't want to risk getting worse.

Omg! I had no idea there was a churro ice cream sandwich! Where is this masterpiece?! Ahh!

That's awesome! It's getting so close! We got our MagicBands in the mail yesterday and have started packing our summery clothes since we won't need them between now and then (especially when it's calling for snow for us on Sunday. Ugh!)

Have you gone down this time of year? I've always been between May and September (and once in Dec) but I'm struggling to figure out what to pack!

Thank you! It was really scary! Definitely thinking I deserve the extra churro this trip! Hahaha.

Here's my sad car. :(
If anyone has any SUV recommendations I'm open to those also. :cry:
View attachment 339702
Oh my gosh! That's awful!!:eek: So glad you are ok!!

Red lights are really getting dangerous for sure! People are not abiding by them and it is getting much worse.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Oh my gosh! That's awful!!:eek: So glad you are ok!!

Red lights are really getting dangerous for sure! People are not abiding by them and it is getting much worse.

Thank you! I definitely got lucky! Even more so that neither of my kiddos were with me.

And I agree! We got the police report back yesterday and it agrees that I had the green light and that the other driver ran their red light. The worst part though, to me anyway, was that there weren't ANY brake marks. She didn't even try to stop. Ugh!

Pardonmypixiedust

@kimberlymautz this will be the 5th trip total. 4 out of the 5 have been from last week in Jan to 2nd week in Feb. lower crowds and great park weather. mid 60s for a low and we've seen as high as 84. mostly mid to low 70s.were from Michigan so it's always shorts and a sweatshirt for the AM until that Florida sun hits. we even pulled off a water park twice. it is definitely our favorite time to go.

my goodness Kim that was quite the accident. so glad you're okay!

aliceismad

Thank you! I definitely got lucky! Even more so that neither of my kiddos were with me.

And I agree! We got the police report back yesterday and it agrees that I had the green light and that the other driver ran their red light. The worst part though, to me anyway, was that there weren't ANY brake marks. She didn't even try to stop. Ugh!
Geez! Was she texting or something? That's horrible.

youngdeb

Wow! So glad you are ok! That looks like it could've been much much worse!

We have a Hyundai Santa Fe XL and I love it.

Tony the Tigger

A friend of mine had a similar accident a couple of months ago (someone went through a red light and hit her in the intersection - right at/behind the driver’s side door. Her 3 year old was in the back.

They’re OK, but she went nuts looking for a good SUV with solid crash ratings. She ended up with a Subaru, loves it, and feels safe in it. The Subaru “Ascent” has a 3rd row.

I would also consider Volkswagen.

Glad it wasn’t worse, and yes, get all the churros!

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
@kimberlymautz this will be the 5th trip total. 4 out of the 5 have been from last week in Jan to 2nd week in Feb. lower crowds and great park weather. mid 60s for a low and we've seen as high as 84. mostly mid to low 70s.were from Michigan so it's always shorts and a sweatshirt for the AM until that Florida sun hits. we even pulled off a water park twice. it is definitely our favorite time to go.

my goodness Kim that was quite the accident. so glad you're okay!

That's awesome! We're in PA so I was thinking capris and tshirts with a hoodie or two tossed in.
And thank you!

Geez! Was she texting or something? That's horrible.

UGH! Not that I'm aware of. She was older though, probably late 70s, early 80s. I'm not sure if she just wasn't paying attention or if she was distracted.

Wow! So glad you are ok! That looks like it could've been much much worse!

We have a Hyundai Santa Fe XL and I love it.

Thank you! I'll have to check out the Santa Fe!

Wow looking at your SUV I would say you are mighty lucky! How did you get out...crawl through the back? I'm curious as to how the other driver ended up?

I actually ended up crawling into my back seat and had to climb on top of my son's carseat (luckily neither of my kids were with me and his seat was buckled in really well) and climb out the top. There were at least 5 or 6 amazing men that stopped and helped me climb up and then pulled me down and carried me to safety.

A friend of mine had a similar accident a couple of months ago (someone went through a red light and hit her in the intersection - right at/behind the driver’s side door. Her 3 year old was in the back.

They’re OK, but she went nuts looking for a good SUV with solid crash ratings. She ended up with a Subaru, loves it, and feels safe in it. The Subaru “Ascent” has a 3rd row.

I would also consider Volkswagen.

Glad it wasn’t worse, and yes, get all the churros!

Oh my goodness, I'm glad she's okay! Luckily neither of my kids were in the car, but I always worry about what could happen next. I'll definitely check out the Subarus! Good crash ratings are definitely my priority after this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom