Pop Century Thoughts/ Preferred Rooms

PMC0849

Original Poster
So my wife and I, along with our 19 month old daughter, are thinking of taking a 4 night trip this spring. In the past we have only stayed at moderates and deluxe resorts and my wife is hesitant to try Pop! In the interest of saving money I am trying to convince her we should try the value resort, I think her biggest concerns are transportation and noise. So please give me your best pitches so I can convince her to stay at Pop! Additionally is the preferred room worth the extra money?

Thank you!

macsmom

I've stayed at POP maybe 5-6 times. I have never had any trouble with noise or too many people. Kids can get a little loud at the pools, but the noise has never been heard in my room. The cast members are wonderful and they have remembered my name more than once. The bus service is good though you are usually at the end of the line when leaving the parks. I've been going solo lately so I don't really need anything spectacular. The new beds are comfortable and there is more than enough space in the room itself. The food court can get crowded at times, but it just really depends on when you have a meal there. I really recommend it - as you can tell.

LUVofDIS

The new rooms are very nice. The resort area has a strong theme to it. I am not sure if it is all rooms, but the new ones we have stayed in do not have bathtubs only walk in showers. I am not sure this would be a bad thing for your young one.
We have never had any noise issues, CM or people problems.

The transportation is an issue with us compared to the Deluxe, but not a deal breaker. We have waited for a second bus on many occasion.

The money you save can be better spent at other things at Disney.

gobstoper27

I recently stayed at Pop 10/30 to 11/3 with my son who was 21 months at the time. We didnt have a preferred room so I cant attest to that, but we enjoyed it. The room was sort of small but it was totally doable, we really only were inside for breaks and bedtime. We opted for a pack n play but didn't use it. We rented a car but also used buses as well. Pop has it's own bus unlike the all star resorts. We were never on the bus for more than 10-15 minutes since we didn't have to stop at other resorts. We could hear some noise from the folks above but we used white noise as that's how our son sleeps at home so it didnt bother us too much. I'd say go for it. I know people have mentioned that some rooms dont have tubs, but ours did!

J_Krafty24

If your daughter will be sleeping in a pack and play I think the rooms at Pop will be perfect for you. My husband and I just stayed at Pop a few weeks ago and with the 2nd bed folded up into the wall I felt we had a good amount of space in the room. Plenty to have a pack and play set up and still not feel crowded. We asked for a 1st floor room in a quieter area of the resort and never had any noise keep us awake the whole trip.

Plowboy

Mrs. P and I have stayed at Pop about a half dozen times over the years. We always try for an upper floor room in the 50's or 60's buildings facing the lake. Seems to us to be a much quieter option than being on the pool side of the building.

It is going to be a bit noisier than a deluxe or moderate, but if you want to save some money I would definitely go for it. As others have said, the bus transportation is really good compared to the All-Star resorts. When leaving the parks at night you sometimes have to wait on a second bus, but other than that we've always had great experiences with the transportation. The resort is a little noisier than a deluxe or moderate as well, but it's not excessive or annoying. Just the sound of children playing in the pool. My family stays at Pop quite often because when I'm shopping room rates for upcoming trips I usually end up back at Pop because I usually can't justify the higher price of other resorts.

wombat

So my wife and I, along with our 19 month old daughter, are thinking of taking a 4 night trip this spring. In the past we have only stayed at moderates and deluxe resorts and my wife is hesitant to try Pop! In the interest of saving money I am trying to convince her we should try the value resort, I think her biggest concerns are transportation and noise. So please give me your best pitches so I can convince her to stay at Pop! Additionally is the preferred room worth the extra money?

Thank you!
I stayed there a few years ago in the 60s buildings in a room on the top floor facing away from the swimming pool. I thought it was very quiet and had no problems. Transport is no problem if you are driving but I had no issues on the few occasions I used the Disney transportation.

Last edited:

piglet21

We're DVC members but when we're not staying on points and want to save a couple bucks we stay at Pop! The renovations are great - the rooms feel more like a moderate than a value now IMO. The resort as a whole though still very much screams "value". The noise has not been a problem for us and we have stayed maybe 7-8 times. I think the preferred rooms are worth the money. The resort isn't that spread out, but if you end up in one of the farthest buildings, a walk back with an exhausted 14 month old in tow is going to feel like a marathon! The bus service is objectively not great, but then again I don't think the bus service anywhere on property is great. I've had just as long wait times and cramped buses at AKL as I have Pop so I wouldn't let the bus situation deter you.

DisAl

Actually some of the value resorts can be less noisy that some of the deluxe resorts. Another popular site did noise tests a while back and AKL turned out to be one of the noisier ones. The reason is that the doors to the hall have a gap at the bottom and are of lighter construction so you could hear people in the halls. The value doors open to the outside and therefore have to seal at the bottom and are of heavier construction since they are exterior doors. (All bets are off on the noise if you are next to the pool!)
We have stayed at values, moderates, and deluxe resorts over the years and in my opinion you get the most bang for the buck at a value.
The rooms are a little smaller but in our case that makes no difference since we spend very little time in the rooms.
We have a trip coming up in March for our 45th anniversary. We are doing a split stay; part in the Contemporary tower (because that has been on our bucket list for years) and the other part at Pop. ($$$$$)
In my opinion Pop has one of the best food courts at WDW.
The greatest disadvantage is that the value resort bus stops seem to be the most distant at every park.

Efig8594

I have always stayed at POP, I haven’t had any problem with noise, the pool is great for kids, the fun Colors might be fun for any youngsters. I personally love the food court and the lobby shopping area. It’s a really good look at the best parts of the “ Disney decade” and the new rooms seem nice! Good luck, and have a great time!

ColdSun

I absolutely loved Pop. We asked for a room on the highest floor, so that there is noone above you. Didn't feel noisy at all and as several members here have also said: the bus transportation works really well.

JohnD

Pop Century is my go-to value resort. Ask for 60s section with Landscape view. That would be the closest to the food court / buses and your room would be on the opposite side from the pools where it is quieter.

m steve

We just stayed at Pop two weeks ago and had a preferred room in the 60s. The short walk to the bus stops was worth the extra money as far as we were concerned. The new rooms are very efficient and nicely themed. Also, the food at Everything Pop was a pleasant surprise. We had no noise problems to speak of and, generally, enjoyed our stay very much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom