News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Timothy_Q

I know right! You literally just go up and down and stop in front of screens of fight scenes. How is that advanced??
DLR's ToT may not have the vehicle move through the 5th dimension scene, but it still moves forwards and backwards to go from load / drop shaft / unload positions

So it's not literally just up and down.
There's a little more to it

NateD1226

DLR's ToT may not have the vehicle move through the 5th dimension scene, but it still moves forwards and backwards to go from load / drop shaft / unload positions

So it's not literally just up and down.
There's a little more to it
Well obviously. But it’s still not that great.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
How so?
Same for WDS and TDS?

A little something like this. The version in WDW uses a AGV system (Autonomous guided vehicles) (NOT PICTURED)
1546645187139.png

doctornick

I realize that some people refer to it as Soarin' 2.0. I feel like FoP is several advancements better than Soarin', as if it was a 3.0 or 4.0 version. The combination of all of the effects and upgrades are done brilliantly and push this way beyond a regular attraction for me...it's #1 in WDW for me now

I would argue that FoP is the most effective ride (at least that I've ever been on) as selling the conceit of the ride. I feel once the lights flash and you are "on the banshee" that it does an amazing job convincing you that you are "really" in an Avatar and riding a banshee. It is so coordinated and there is nothing distracting to take you out of the ride unless you intentionally look to the sides or behind.

I may like, for example, Spider Man as a better overall ride. But I never am so convinced that I'm not on a ride as I am with FoP.

flyerjab

I would argue that FoP is the most effective ride (at least that I've ever been on) as selling the conceit of the ride. I feel once the lights flash and you are "on the banshee" that it does an amazing job convincing you that you are "really" in an Avatar and riding a banshee. It is so coordinated and there is nothing distracting to take you out of the ride unless you intentionally look to the sides or behind.

I may like, for example, Spider Man as a better overall ride. But I never am so convinced that I'm not on a ride as I am with FoP.

Agree completely. And I will add that people knock this ride because it is not a technological marvel. As if that matters. The most important part, to me, is the reaction from fans, ride repeatability, and the overall experience. This attraction delivers this in spades (as they say). The feeling of flight that is achieved on this simulator is simply incredible. And the other effect that is achieved so successfully is the transition from laboratory link chair to Mo’ara Valley banshee. It is subtle but so effective. That is something I admire about this attraction. Rohde took hold of James Caneron’s world building from the movie and made it so immersive and tactile, from the floating mountains of the queue, all the way through the lab and into the ride itself. And it is achieved by some very simple and subtle effects. The attraction is worthy of the lines that it has seen through the first year and a half of its existence.

The Empress Lilly

I attribute that also to the double conceit: you are both in reality and in the story not, in fact, on a banshee. Only your Avatar is. So even if you do notice that there is no banshee between your legs (what I can't say about my rough last night!) the conceit is still intact.

For all the reservations about Avatar as a source, in this regard it provides, perhaps serendipitously, a fantastic story mechanism for a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom