News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
According to the site that shall not be named, Sleeping Beauty's Castle will be undergoing a refurbishment to re-roof the structure. According to the article, it's scheduled to start on Jan 7th and last until Spring. They're also reporting that the castle walk-through will be temporarily closed starting Jan 17th.

Permit Link: http://permits.anaheim.net/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCasebld&shl_caseno=BLD2018-05237
Of course, I get to make it to Disneyland for the first time in my life and the castle is closed lol

Darkbeer1

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/01/...le-will-get-a-major-makeover-beginning-jan-7/

>>The extensive castle refurbishment is scheduled to begin Monday, Jan. 7 and extend through the spring, according to Disneyland officials. Scaffolding surrounding portions of the castle will be covered with decorative scrim for aesthetic purposes. The standard refurbishment will not change the castle significantly.

“Sleeping Beauty Castle is the heart of Disneyland Park and is simply being refreshed,” said Walt Disney Imagineering art director Kim Irvine via email. “It will remain the same beloved icon it is today when the refurbishment is complete.”

Diamond Celebration decorations placed on the castle in 2015 and 2016 damaged the roof, according to .

The work will force the closure of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough attraction starting Jan. 17.

The eye-popping $300,000 re-roof cost is pocket change in comparison to what Disneyland is spending to build a new parking garage ($100 million), remodel the Disney Grand Californian hotel ($22.9 million) and create a full-size replica of the Millennium Falcon ($4.4 million) in the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge themed land opening this summer.

Many Disneyland attractions go down for rehabs during the winter season following the holidays. Haunted Mansion (Jan. 7-17) and It’s a Small World (Jan. 22-31) will shed their seasonal overlays once the holiday crowds dissipate. The Fantasmic nighttime spectacular goes dark Jan. 21 along with the Sailing Ship Columbia, which plays a starring role in the show. Astro Orbiter (Jan. 7) and Splash Mountain (Feb. 4) get their annual refurbishments before the crowds return in the spring.

Sleeping Beauty Castle isn’t the only Disney castle getting a refresh. Hong Kong Disneyland will transform its castle and hub area as part of massive makeover of the park.<<

SuddenStorm

Any indication on if they're gonna revert back to the pre 2005 paint job?

I'm assuming that's wishful thinking, but it'd be pretty cool to see.

Ismael Flores

I wonder how many more closures and refurbishments will show up on the schedule at the last minute. They are opening a huge new land in a few months and will have lots and lots of media for what could be a few days and i am sure they will want the place to look spectacular.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

There will be printed scrims up on the castle. So any projections that would normally be on the castle would still work just as well on the scrims.

that menas that the show would have had to be made for the scrims. normally the projections on the castle are designed with projection mapping if i remember correctly. they program the show tonfit all the curvatures and design of the castle structure. scrims are flat so the effect would not be the same.

Of course Disneyland does use as much projection mapping on castle as other resorts because the castle is so small

Disney Irish

Premium Member
that menas that the show would have had to be made for the scrims. normally the projections on the castle are designed with projection mapping if i remember correctly. they program the show tonfit all the curvatures and design of the castle structure. scrims are flat so the effect would not be the same.

Of course Disneyland does use as much projection mapping on castle as other resorts because the castle is so small

They used the projections on the Main St buildings when they had scrims during their refurbs, so it’s possible.

SuddenStorm

They could, but honestly the paint looks pretty good now. When they refurbished the castle in early 2015 to get ready for the Diamond overlay, they painted it then, and removed the pink coloring. (Can you believe that was four years ago now?!)

The castle maintained the 2005 paint job after the 2015 refurb, here's a photo from that May:

1546835859869.png

I was referring to the pre 2005 paint job, that looked like this (taken 1994):

1546835980650.png

It used to be a grey/pink color scheme, with a lot more grey. Now it's a pink/gold, with an excessive amount of pink.

Though I imagine if they went back to the proper colors, many fans who weren't around for them would think Disney "ruined" the castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom